How To Takeoff:

I have just successfully hand launched using the Auto-takeoff feature. I used a neck strap for my RC and the takeoff went extremely smoothly, I tried it twice and both were flawless. I found it feel more comfortable than hand launching using manual control with the left joystick and I got to feel how much force the Phantom exerts to takeoff. I see the benefits of hand launching as I will likely be using my Phantom from a boat this summer.

Thats awesome! great news and cant wait to try it out this week-end on my new boat.

I take off from a boat all of the time. You CAN hand launch. I don't like it - as the props spin up there is a moment when the props are moving fast but not fast enough to control the attitude. Unless YOU control the attitude you can have a situation where the the P3 is sideways and spinning up fast. It will VIOLENTLY try to orient upright (which is determined when you calibrate the IMU, not when you take off - which is why you want to calibrate the IMU on a level surface). That could hurt.

I take the bird off on my small back deck enclosed by the gunwales. I take off in ATTI mode and pull up like a bat out of hell for 30 feet or so - enough to clear the antennas. I then go into GPS mode (happens fast on the water) and fly. I once grazed the inflatable sitting on the cabin roof. Fortunately the soft side of the inflatable and the bendy props allowed the P3 to bounce away with no harm done to either craft but I don't launch in pitching seas any more....

On a slope which, presumably, isn't moving up and down hand launching would be easier. But on a watercraft I'd think three times, measure twice and think again before I did that (again).

Boat work is scary at first but one of those skills you pick up with practice. Unless you like replacing your drone regularly, do it in small steps. At an absolute minimum you should be able to fly ATTI mode without freaking out and hand land the drone anywhere. Practice bringing the drone to you for those last few feet instead of walking under it. Give yourself PLENTY of battery. I land just shy of 50% and have, on two occassions, actually got the thing inside the boat with less than 10% remaining. A pitching, rolling deck on a 24 four foot boat can be ... exciting.

YMMV. Professional Driver on Closed Course. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Hey WetDog thank you for that great information and the techniques you have shared with us. I have come to the conclusion after many many flights that you need to allow yourself plenty of time to land before the battery runs out. That is why I try to make it back at around 30%, anything above to me is overkill when your back to your point of origin. Once I'm about to land I have learned to relax and slowly bring the bird down as well as slightly directing it to where I want it to go. By doing this I have been able to master my landing skills.

I'll share the footage once I get some later this summer. We have lots of birds, whales, seals and icebergs that I plan on capturing, as well as old abandoned fishing villages. It will be an exciting summer with the Phantom.

I'm jealous! I wish i had things like that to film.

Here is more good information and demonstration that with skill and the acceptance of risk, launching in less that ideal conditions is very doable.

Here is more good information and demonstration that with skill and the acceptance of risk, launching in less that ideal conditions is very doable.

Thats some pretty nice footage. Man I can't wait to try it out this week-end!

That's pretty much how not to fly. He takes major league unnecessary risks. Pro tip: Stop the boat - it makes things a lot easier. Sailboats, however, pretty much are the worst case scenario.

Reactions: Phantomfreak
So today is the big day guys. Headed out to the lake on my boat to hopefully take some incredible footage.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20