How to take the Initial aeronautical knowledge test?

Exactly, I took that 'course' over the weekend and was surprised at how much I remembered.

I have not been an active PP for about 3 decades (medical) and would have to do the entire sUAS test but it was interesting!!!
I may do it just 'because' and to have a 'certificate' again ;).
Im in the same boat (no medical - kidney stones!). I took the test just as a refresher. did cover some UAS material as well as pertinent General aviation material such as weather reports and reading charts (you'll need some chart savvy to stay out of restricted airspace just like the pilot of a manned aircraft.). I thought is a good primer for the UAS test next month, but a newbie would probably want some more background material.

A newbie will absolutely need more study than that provided by the online FAA course for Part 61 people. They have to know how to calculate load factor, how to handle aviation radio communications including self-announce, how to read the nasty weather charts in the Knowledge Test Supplement, how to decipher METARs and TAFs, how to find airports on a chart based on lats and longs, how to determine the dimensions of airspace volumes and know the rules for operation within each. Newbies will have to also learn about aeromedical factors, ADM, CRM, density altitude, and airport operations. NONE of this was even mentioned in the FAA course because Part 61 pilots already learned the stuff in the past and have already passed tests on it. For people new to aviation, this test will be no joke!

All that is true. I have started to work on the FAA material, and will complete that. I think that just having this knowledge will help me be a better flyer. It's been interesting.

Reactions: BigAl07 and N42742
A newbie will absolutely need more study than that provided by the online FAA course for Part 61 people. They have to know how to calculate load factor, how to handle aviation radio communications including self-announce, how to read the nasty weather charts in the Knowledge Test Supplement, how to decipher METARs and TAFs, how to find airports on a chart based on lats and longs, how to determine the dimensions of airspace volumes and know the rules for operation within each. Newbies will have to also learn about aeromedical factors, ADM, CRM, density altitude, and airport operations. NONE of this was even mentioned in the FAA course because Part 61 pilots already learned the stuff in the past and have already passed tests on it. For people new to aviation, this test will be no joke!

(emphasis added in quote)
I'm sure more than a few folks will be surprised at the level of knowledge they'll need to pass.

I'm sure more than a few folks will be surprised at the level of knowledge they'll need to pass.

I'm looking forward to the responses from participants after they take it especially the ones that are going to "Wing It" as I saw one local UAS operator put it yesterday on Social Media. He said he's been flying RC for years and he's confident he will pass the test with NO prep.....

"I'll just wing it and get my cert easy peasy"

I wanted to reply and say "Good luck with that one... that's not how this works... that's not how ANY of this works" LOL but I didn't. I just made a mental note to watch the group for his reply AFTER he takes the test.

It's going to require some prep work and some degree of common sense and that latter part may disqualify several LOL

I'm looking forward to the responses from participants after they take it especially the ones that are going to "Wing It" as I saw one local UAS operator put it yesterday on Social Media. He said he's been flying RC for years and he's confident he will pass the test with NO prep.....

I wanted to reply and say "Good luck with that one... that's not how this works... that's not how ANY of this works" LOL but I didn't. I just made a mental note to watch the group for his reply AFTER he takes the test.

It's going to require some prep work and some degree of common sense and that latter part may disqualify several LOL

Agreed totally!!!

"Flying RC for years"... LOL, BIG wake-up call coming!!!

The FAA has published a standard for the §107 test listing the subjects and references that the test will be based on: FAA-S-ACS-10 -Free in PDF form - My Ebook and video study guide for the 107 are based on it. I will be teaching it at the Florida Association of Realtors convention in Orlando at the end of this month. DJI will be following me in the same room.

Licensed pilots (Part 61) can take a certification test online now but they have to wait for the IACRA system after 8/29 to complete the process.

And those will be the very people who will complain about they system!

Reactions: BigAl07
Where are 107 study materials?

They are listed in the ACS (Testing standards for UAG) but the main items come from the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (particularly chapters 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17), the circular AC 107-2, and sections in the FAR/AIM. It will require some study but it's all useful and nothing too deep.

First-Time Pilots
To become a pilot you must:
  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English (exceptions may be made if the person is unable to meet one of these requirements for a medical reason, such as hearing impairment)
  • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely operate a small UAS
  • Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center
Pilot certificate Requirements
  • Must be easily accessible by the remote pilot during all UAS operations
  • Valid for 2 years – certificate holders must pass a recurrent knowledge test every two years
Application Process
  1. Schedule an appointment with a Knowledge Testing Center (KTC), which administer initial and recurrent FAA knowledge exams
    1. View the list of Knowledge Testing Centers (PDF) to find one near you.
    2. Applicants must bring government-issued photo ID to their test
  2. Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test – initial knowledge test areas include:
    1. Applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges, limitations, and flight operation
    2. Airspace classification and operating requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation
    3. Aviation weather sources and effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance
    4. Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
    5. Emergency procedures
    6. Crew resource management
    7. Radio communication procedures
    8. Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
    9. Physiological effects of drugs and alcohol
    10. Aeronautical decision-making and judgment
    11. Airport operations
    12. Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures
  3. Complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application) using the electronic FAA Integrated Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application system (IACRA)*
    1. Register using the FAA IACRA system
    2. Login with username and password
    3. Click on "Start New Application" and 1) Application Type "Pilot", 2) Certifications "Remote Pilot", 3) Other Path Information, 4) Start Application
    4. Follow application prompts
    5. When prompted, enter the 17-digit Knowledge Test Exam ID (NOTE: it may take up to 48 hours from the test date for the knowledge test to appear in IACRA)
    6. Sign the application electronically and submit to the Registry for processing.
  4. A confirmation email will be sent when an applicant has completed the TSA security background check. This email will provide instructions for printing a copy of the temporary remote pilot certificate from IACRA.
  5. A permanent remote pilot certificate will be sent via mail once all other FAA-internal processing is complete.
    * Applicants who do not wish to complete FAA Form 8710-13 online may choose the paper process. Please note that the processing time will be longer if a paper application is used since it requires in-person approval and signature by a designated pilot examiner (DPE), an airman certification representative (ACR), or an FAA-certificated flight instructor (CFI), and must then be mailed to a Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for final review and signature. Additionally, a temporary remote pilot certificate will not be provided to the applicant.

Instructions for completing the paper application process may be found in Chapter 6, Section 4 of the Part 107 Advisory Circular.
14 years old to be exact!

Begins August 29th 2016, $150, If you call them and mention "Betterview" they will take $10 off if scheduled thru PSI. Believe me it is designed for already holders of FAA 61 and the questions include VFR Chart and Weather Chart information, 60 questions and must score a minimum of 70% so you can't miss more than 12 questions out of 60. I know as I am registered and paid top take on September 3rd.No walk in the park if you don't have the Part 61 already! Study, study, study!!!;)

Reactions: Falcon900
Begins August 29th 2016, $150, If you call them and mention "Betterview" they will take $10 off if scheduled thru PSI. Believe me it is designed for already holders of FAA 61 and the questions include VFR Chart and Weather Chart information, 60 questions and must score a minimum of 70% so you can't miss more than 12 questions out of 60. I know as I am registered and paid top take on September 3rd.No walk in the park if you don't have the Part 61 already! Study, study, study!!!;)

BRENTHABBESHAW
That's not true. If you're a "current" Part 61 Certificate holder already you take the ONLINE test only which is LIVE and available right now. If you are not current or don't have Part 61 then you take the full walk-in test.

The walk-in test is structured for NON Part 61 holders. It bridges the gap between licensed pilots and drone operators so that we can all integrate into the National Airspace System with some degree of knowledge and safety.

Also you stated
Where did you get this information? In order to become a UAS Commercial Operator under Part 107 it clearly states on the FAA website
Pilot Certification
To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate

You must be at least 16 years old to qualify for a remote pilot certificate, and you can obtain it in one of two ways:

• You may pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
  • If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate, other than a student pilot certificate, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and you must take a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.
    Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)
*edited to add "Current" to my statement*

Last edited:
I am a Part 61 certificate holder although I don't have a current BFR. So far , I have passed every practice test that I can find by a comfortable margin. But I am still studying every part an will likely do so right up to the day of the test. Not only do I not want to have to retake (and pay again) the test, but I would really like to see this community have a high percentage of first time successes. That would reflect well on us and our commitment to play nice in the NAS.

I am a Part 61 certificate holder although I don't have a current BFR. So far , I have passed every practice test that I can find by a comfortable margin. But I am still studying every part an will likely do so right up to the day of the test. Not only do I not want to have to retake (and pay again) the test, but I would really like to see this community have a high percentage of first time successes. That would reflect well on us and our commitment to play nice in the NAS.

Well said and EXCELLENT attitude towards it. I do think you'll see those who are serious and dedicated to this industry will do well and excel. Others maybe not so much.

BRENTHABBESHAW
That's not true. If you're a "current" Part 61 Certificate holder already you take the ONLINE test only which is LIVE and available right now. If you are not current or don't have Part 61 then you take the full walk-in test.

The walk-in test is structured for NON Part 61 holders. It bridges the gap between licensed pilots and drone operators so that we can all integrate into the National Airspace System with some degree of knowledge and safety.

Also you stated

Where did you get this information? In order to become a UAS Commercial Operator under Part 107 it clearly states on the FAA website
Pilot Certification
To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate

You must be at least 16 years old to qualify for a remote pilot certificate, and you can obtain it in one of two ways:

• You may pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
  • If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate, other than a student pilot certificate, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and you must take a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.
    Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)
*edited to add "Current" to my statement*
If you read correctly, I NEVER stated the the Part 61 holders had too take the test at a FAA Testing center and not do it online!, I said that taking the test includes information that needs to be learned in relation to what the Part 61 holders had to learn! Where did I state that it was for 61 holders? get the facts before accusing me!

If you read correctly, I NEVER stated the the Part 61 holders had too take the test at a FAA Testing center and not do it online!, I said that taking the test includes information that needs to be learned in relation to what the Part 61 holders had to learn! Where did I state that it was for 61 holders? get the facts before accusing me!

Easy there trigger... I merely went by EXACTLY what you said.... Let's recap:

Begins August 29th 2016, $150, If you call them and mention "Betterview" they will take $10 off if scheduled thru PSI. Believe me it is designed for already holders of FAA 61 and the questions include VFR Chart and Weather Chart information, 60 questions and must score a minimum of 70% so you can't miss more than 12 questions out of 60.

You stated the price, date, scheduling the test and then immediately stated it was designed for FAA Part 61 holders. Your words not mine. No part of what you mentioned has anything to do with the test current Part 61 holders take.

For current Part 61 holders it's ONLINE, Free, available NOW, approximately 35 questions (I think), and all questions are UAS specific. This is to make sure just because you are a Part 61 holder that you have some knowledge of UAS laws/regulations and not just grandfathered into the course.

I wasn't accusing you as much as I was correcting your mistake which happens to all of us. It's easy to get facts turned around and sometimes we type something slightly different than what we actually meant to say. No big deal and at the end of the day nothing changes.

Not only that Al but Mr. H-shaw was a bit off in the math as well. 70% of 60 = 42 meaning that, based on his data/numbers, you can miss 18 questions and still pass as opposed to 12 as stated.

(This is also a correction not an accusation)

Not only do I not want to have to retake (and pay again) the test
I understand that if we don't pass, we can take the test in 14 days...but do we need to pay for again the $150 fee?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic