How to take the Initial aeronautical knowledge test?

Beyond the FAA textbooks, they generally leave training programs to industry partners to produce. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge is a good place to start, but be advised that probably only about 20% of the book will relate to the Part 107 test questions. The FAA just released a new version of the PHAK. If you have an old copy, it's probably perfectly fine. But if you're going to download this book, you might as well get the latest version.

Where can you get the latest book? Thanks.

Reactions: scubabert
Does anyone know what parts we should be looking at for the 107 test??
Looks like there's a lot there that doesn't apply to UAS flying.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does anyone know what parts we should be looking at for the 107 test??
Looks like there's a lot there that doesn't apply to UAS flying.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The "Course" is still being designed so no one on the outside will be able to answer this question for you as of yet.

Hi, jephoto. You are correct that most of the PHAK (the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) does not apply to UAS and won't be covered on the test.

In the ACS (which should be your bible as you study), they list the PHAK as a reference in the different tasks, but don't say which chapters.

They do the same thing with the other textbooks the ACS says to study: Aviation Weather for Pilots, Aviation Weather Services, Risk Management Handbook. Then there are the various ACs and SAFOs. That's thousands of pages, but you don't know which ones to study since only specific parts are relevant. I honestly don't see anyone new to the world of FAA testing passing this test without using a formal course. Gold Seal has been doing this (prepping people for pilot tests) for over ten years. This test isn't going to be terribly hard, but there is a lot of material and if you don't study properly you may not like the outcome.

Reactions: Falcon900
The "Course" is still being designed so no one on the outside will be able to answer this question for you as of yet.

Morning, Al. What course?

Morning, Al. What course?
Better term might be "Test". The test and affiliated items are still being developed and approved. Until it's actually released it's really just a best "questimate".

Actually, the test and affiliated items/resources are already developed and ready to go. The FAA just has to wait 60 days from the final Part 107 rule to be published in the Federal Register. That's where the August 29 date comes from.

There are alot of online drone universities boasting that they guarantee to prep you appropriately to pass the test. Any value in these?

Actually, the test and affiliated items/resources are already developed and ready to go. The FAA just has to wait 60 days from the final Part 107 rule to be published in the Federal Register. That's where the August 29 date comes from.

Well that's interesting. I spoke with my FAA contact yesterday (was on the phone for a different topic) and she said, "They are trying to finalize the materials right now. Just a few more tweaks here and there and we hope to have the final version approved in a week or two. Then we have to get it signed off before we can have anything official."

This came out of Charlotte NC FSDO. Makes me wonder which information is more accurate.

Ah yes I fully understand the 60 days from notification to implementation. I've been "doing this" for a few decades now.

Regardless until the materials are "released" to the public it is still a guessing game as to what will be required.

I hear you, Al. I'm sure we all hear a lot of conflicting info out there. But as far as the test goes, we do know exactly what will be required. It's outlined in minute detail in the ACS.

For the people who haven't downloaded a copy yet, here's one with all the operations areas/tasks highlighted in yellow:
http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/uas_acs.pdf

Scrubabert, interesting question about the "drone universities" that having been sprouting up in the past 3 years. Some are good, some are crap. You have to exercise caution before plopping your money down. Anyone can build a website and stick a few pdfs and YouTube videos on it and claim to be a drone groundschool. There's no barrier to entry in this field.

But among the useful ones, you have to define what you want to accomplish. There are basically four types of instruction in the drone field:

(1) Online training programs specifically for the 107 knowledge test.
(2) In-person training program for the 107 knowledge test, but promoted online
(3) Online training programs for drone-specific topics, NOT including the 107 test (the "drone universities")
(4) In-person seminars

For those in the 3rd category, and there are a LOT of them, yeah, pass their course and they'll give you a certificate. But the certificate is meaningless and carries no authorization to do anything for or to anyone.

In the 1st category, we're about to see a glut of new websites offering to help you pass the test. You have to determine if the person running the site is qualified to even understand, much less teach, the required info.

Hey there, BDFlyer. Yes, that is the course for Part 61 pilots. It only covers UAS-specific material since certificated pilots have already passed tests on the "aeronautical knowledge".

Non-pilots can certainly take the "course", but that alone won't come anywhere close to preparing them for the full test.

Hey there, BDFlyer. Yes, that is the course for Part 61 pilots. It only covers UAS-specific material since certificated pilots have already passed tests on the "aeronautical knowledge".

Non-pilots can certainly take the "course", but that alone won't come anywhere close to preparing them for the full test.

Exactly, I took that 'course' over the weekend and was surprised at how much I remembered.

I have not been an active PP for about 3 decades (medical) and would have to do the entire sUAS test but it was interesting!!!
I may do it just 'because' and to have a 'certificate' again ;).

Reactions: BigAl07
Can anyone shed light on where we would take the initial aeronautical knowledge test that is referenced in the newly released Part 107 Summary that was released today? I do want to fly my drone for "some" commercial purposes and I have been waiting since first of Jan for 333 exemption.

So if anyone can shed some light on how/where to take this test it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any info on it.
The tests will be administered by the testing centers, but you sign up for them on the CATS site (CATS: FAA test, Private Pilot Exam & Aviation Test). They will schedule with the local test center. They will also take your $150 test fee. In the message confirming your test schedule, they will also include several sources for study materials.Tests times are already filling up at many locations. I have mine scheduled for the very fist slot on 29 Aug. After passing the test, you will be given a code that you enter in your application on the IACRA web page (https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx). That's it. Really pretty simple for a government process.

CATS or Lasergrade. Both are authorized for FAA tests.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1