How to take high quality photos with the phantom?

Reaction score
I have a gopro and a gimbal, but if I wanted to take nice photos that I could enlarge, what would I need?

I'm thinking, like a aerial photo of someones land or something.

HoverMan said:
I have a gopro and a gimbal, but if I wanted to take nice photos that I could enlarge, what would I need?

I'm thinking, like a aerial photo of someones land or something.

Set the GoPro to take one shot / second. Fly it around the property. In 10 minutes of flight you'll have about 600 images. Depending on your flight you'll end up with 5-10% usable and non repeated photos. If you have photo editing software with the ability to combine images you can make really great panoramic images.

You can also set up the GoPro to take photos while filming, but at a lower resolution. I don't know what model GoPro you have but the black will shoot in 1080 and snap images every 2 seconds at 8 mp.

I set mine on 1440 video plus stills every 5 second. Gopro black. If you use 1080 you wont get the 12 mps. 1440 will give you 12 mps. The gopro is not too good in low light and depending on how large an print you want may be limited. There is a very good image sensor comparison out there somewhere that will show you how small a image sensor is on a gopro.

Ok thanks for the replies but I have a gopro2 and I would like for the images to not have a fisheye effect. I wish I could mount and fire a regular modern consumer camera on it. Just concerns about image quality but I'll have to experiment I guess.

If you have a compatible small Canon camera, you can load this firmware http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

On some models it allows external control input via USB, and I think it can do things like taking a photo once a second, but you'd need to checkout the website.

I loaded it onto an old Canon A430 and it worked OK, but the camera eventually had a hardware fault, so I'm no longer able to use it.

However I guess if you want to have a go at doing this, there is a chance you can brick the camera, so I'd recommend getting a cheap second hand compatible canon e.g. on eBay and using that.

I tried a Canon powershot S100 with CHDK for an intervalometer, but it didn't much like the vibration - this was straight to the phantom gopro mount though (with an adapter) Out of maybe 100 shots about 20 were not blurred despite fast shutter speed.
Of those, since you were only guessing where it was pointed only a couple were worth keeping.

I use Lightroom. About 100.00 and worth it. It has a lens profile for the gopro. It wont take 100% out but it does pretty good.
Lightroom does a lot of other post production stuff also. You can make portions of the picture lighter or darker control the color contrast and exposure.

mengelman said:
I use Lightroom. About 100.00 and worth it. It has a lens profile for the gopro. It wont take 100% out but it does pretty good.
Lightroom does a lot of other post production stuff also. You can make portions of the picture lighter or darker control the color contrast and exposure.

Very interesting. Thanks!

I take a pic every 5sec, have the camera all the way up and to get the props out of the pic fly backwards just a touch. With the camera up all the way the horizon is in the middle of the screen making it flat with very little fisheye.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20