HOW TO: Setup and use Waypoints

So, if you return to the home point location from which the mission was created, are you able then access it again?
Yes -- but those missions were not available the second day-- even though my home point was only slightly different. They had to be re-flown the second day to reestablish them. The change in date, may have eliminated them or the change in the home point even though the home point location was off only a few feet.

Awesome explanation! Thank you! The screenshot also answers an earlier question. The mission will continue even if the connection to the transmitter is lost! So RTH will not initiate until the mission is completed. Keep that in mind! That is perhaps why you must first fly the mission manually to create it!:cool:
I'm glad to hear what you just said..."You must first fly the mission". I couldn't see the importance of that since I knew where I wanted to fly. Now I have a clear understanding why you should fly it first and set the points while your out.

Good tutorial.
I have tested the Waypoints feature and it works.
Learning about the Head to option of "Free" is very helpful.

Question: Is there any way to re-name the Mission Favorites?
Names like "20150907 02:26[Auto Save]" are not going to help me remember which Mission is which.
Now this is a good question! Have you gotten an answer yet? I'm still learning.

Last edited:
Yes -- but those missions were not available the second day-- even though my home point was only slightly different. They had to be re-flown the second day to reestablish them. The change in date, may have eliminated them or the change in the home point even though the home point location was off only a few feet.
Bummer. The bigger limitation is you cannot set a waypoint more than 500 meters from your launch point, and the total mission length cannot exceed 1500 meters. No good for flying to a remote landmark that you can clearly see with no obstructions, even over water. I'll have to look elsewhere to automate that. Manual works fine for now, but holding your thumb on the throttle straight forward for 5-10 minutes, to get there and back, gets old after a while.

Thanks for the tutorial. Very informative especially with the screen shots. Now I am going to read it again. As a new Phantom 3A owner I find the learning curve very steep, only 3 flights so far but I will take it out of beginner mode next time.

Spent a lot of time flying the P3 this weekend at a RC aircraft fly-in this week end and experimented using the DJI Go App IOC features.

Waypoints Feature:

1. You cant change camera directions--yaw-- after the waypoint point mission is flown, programmed and saved. IOW which ever direction the Phantom is facing, unless you turn it before you program each successive waypoint, that is the way it will face when flown. Not very good if you want to change camera direction and angles. This may be different in the Inspire since the camera can be controlled independently with a separate Controller.

There needs to be some programming changes in the P3 version to allow for complete camera control and direction while a mission is in progress

Looking at point 10 in the tutorial, if "head to" is set to "free" then you can control the direction of the camera via yaw whilst flying the mission.

I have never tried the waypoints yet, but that is my interpretation of the tutorial

I have never tried the waypoints yet, but that is my interpretation of the tutorial
You're interpreting it correctly.

For some reason I thought a user would be able to choose waypoint locations from the Google map then edit each waypoint for Altitude, angle of attach and speed. Each time flying the mission users would be able to hone or modify the mission. Im actually a bit disappointed.

For some reason I thought a user would be able to choose waypoint locations from the Google map then edit each waypoint for Altitude, angle of attach and speed.
Some 3rd party apps (like Litchi) allow that.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yes, id like to know if its possible to give a name to saved waypoint missions, with 2-4 missions saved, you don't want to press "204617(auto save) only to discover this mission was flown in a different location, about 3 miles away!
Ask me how I know this!

Unfortunately, each of the two major 3rd party flying apps are platform specific, and also on two different platforms. Litchi requires an Android tablet and Autopilot requires iOS. In order to even try them both, you need two tablets, one running Android and one running iOS. Not everyone has that capability.:cool:

I've flown several missions, orbits & follow on my iPad(IOS) from Litchi. Where did you get that from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've flown several missions, orbits & follow on my iPad(IOS) from Litchi. Where did you get that from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This thread is nearly a year old! :rolleyes:
Lots has changed since October 1, 2015, when I first posted that! :eek:
It was true at the time. Glad you are catching up! :cool:

Is there a way to repeat a waypoint mission immediately after its been flown? Automatically. Like a loop feature where it just continues to fly the same waypoint mission over and over again until you stop it?

Is there a way to repeat a waypoint mission immediately after its been flown? Automatically. Like a loop feature where it just continues to fly the same waypoint mission over and over again until you stop it?
No, but if the final mission action is set to return to Waypoint 1, once it reaches it, just rerun the mission again, and repeat until the battery requires landing! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic