HOW TO: Setup and use Point of Interest (POI)

I only set my P3 up at a very slow speed as you would to capture video. I didn't try a reversal of direction but the whole experience saw very stable. Also tried a 5 waypoint setup, course lock, home lock and follow me. All environments were rock solid.

thanks for a great tutorial!

After initial settings are made 5m altitude or above I see you can increase or decrees the width but are you able to go below the 5m limit on height once the bird is flying?
I will try this but excessive heat warning all week here and I work outside and at the end of the day flying is only a dream right now that's why I am asking.
I'm hoping I can get the height at about 4 feet to circle a small object like a car.

TIA

Follow the steps below to setup and use the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. If you have additional tips or information below, please comment below.
Where did you find this information????? Thanks, really helpful!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Launch the Point of Interest (POI) feature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Your Phantom needs to be started and in the air before you'll be able to access the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. Start your Phantom, take off, and fly it directly above the location or object you'd like to circle.

2) Flip the PAF switch to the "F" position to access the IOC features. If Multiple Flight Mode is not enabled, you're going to see the following prompt:

Phantom-3-IOC-MultipleFlightMode.jpg

If you see the above prompt, click the "OK" button to enable Multiple Flight Mode.

3) Select "Point of Interest" from the IOC menu.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-1.jpg

4) You might be prompted to verify your RTH Altitude setting. If so, ensure the altitude is set higher than the object you're going to be circling -- and all obstacles in your location. This will ensure that you do not accidentally crash into an obstacle if your remote controller signal is lost and your Phantom tries to return to the home point.

Phantom-3-IOC-RTH.jpg

Configure the Point of Interest (POI) settings.

5) You'll be prompted to confirm that your Phantom is above the point you'd like to circle. Since your Phantom is already hovering at that location, click the "Record the POI" button to mark that point.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-2.jpg

6) A new menu will appear showing you settings to configure the radius, altitude, direction, and speed.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-3.jpg

7) Pull back on the right stick to move away from the object you're going to be circling. As your Phantom moves, you'll see the "Radius" value increase. Keep moving back until your Phantom is at the outside edge of the circle you'd like to make.

Pull down on or push up on the left stick to set the altitude you'd like your Phantom to fly as it circles. As your Phantom moves, you'll see the "Altitude" value increase/decrease.

Important: Make sure the altitude is set high enough. If your Phantom circles around the object and you can no longer see it, the remote controller signal will be lost and your Phantom will return to the home point.

Note: You'll be able to adjust the radius and altitude later. So, it's okay if they are not perfect at this point.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-4.jpg

8) Adjust the speed slider to the left if you'd like your Phantom to travel clockwise around the circle. Or, slide it to the right if you'd like your Phantom to travel counter-clockwise around the circle. The speed will increase as the slider moves further away from the center of the bar.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-5.jpg

9) Click the "Apply" button to save your settings and to start circling the object.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-6.jpg

Make adjustments as your Phantom circles the object.

10) Your Phantom will continue to circle the object over and over again until you tell it to stop. You can temporarily stop your Phantom by clicking the "Pause" button.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-1.jpg

11) As your Phantom is circling the object, you can push the right stick down to increase the radius or push it up to decrease the radius. The "Radius" value will change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start circling at the new radius as you increase/decrease it.

As your Phantom is circling the object, you can also adjust the altitude. Push the left stick up to increase the altitude or down to decrease the altitude. The "Altitude" value will change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start circling at the new altitude as you increase/decrease it.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-2.jpg

12) As your Phantom is circling the object, you can adjust the speed slider to increase/decrease the speed. The speed value with change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start circling at the new speed as you increase/decrease it.

Important: Do not move the slider across the center point. Doing so might make your Phantom unstable as it attempts to change its direction. If you'd like to change the direction, click the "Pause" button, make that adjustment, and then unpause to continue circling in the new direction.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-3.jpg

13) As your Phantom is circling the object, you can move the left stick to the right or left to yaw and face a different direction. Click "Focus" to make your Phantom point toward the center of the circle again.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-4.jpg

14) Click the "Exit" button to stop circling and exit the Point of Interest (POI) function. You can also exit by flipping the PAF switch back to the "P" position.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-5.jpg

Follow the steps below to setup and use the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. If you have additional tips or information below, please comment below.
SUPERB! Thanks for this!
I notice the "Hide" button ..... how do you get the window back if you do hide it?

Launch the Point of Interest (POI) feature.

1) Your Phantom needs to be started and in the air before you'll be able to access the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. Start your Phantom, take off, and fly it directly above the location or object you'd like to circle.

2) Flip the PAF switch to the "F" position to access the IOC features. If Multiple Flight Mode is not enabled, you're going to see the following prompt:

Phantom-3-IOC-MultipleFlightMode.jpg

If you see the above prompt, click the "OK" button to enable Multiple Flight Mode.

3) Select "Point of Interest" from the IOC menu.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-1.jpg

4) You might be prompted to verify your RTH Altitude setting. If so, ensure the altitude is set higher than the object you're going to be circling -- and all obstacles in your location. This will ensure that you do not accidentally crash into an obstacle if your remote controller signal is lost and your Phantom tries to return to the home point.

Phantom-3-IOC-RTH.jpg

Configure the Point of Interest (POI) settings.

5) You'll be prompted to confirm that your Phantom is above the point you'd like to circle. Since your Phantom is already hovering at that location, click the "Record the POI" button to mark that point.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-2.jpg

6) A new menu will appear showing you settings to configure the radius, altitude, direction, and speed.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-3.jpg

7) Pull back on the right stick to move away from the object you're going to be circling. As your Phantom moves, you'll see the "Radius" value increase. Keep moving back until your Phantom is at the outside edge of the circle you'd like to make.

Pull down on or push up on the left stick to set the altitude you'd like your Phantom to fly as it circles. As your Phantom moves, you'll see the "Altitude" value increase/decrease.

Important: Make sure the altitude is set high enough. If your Phantom circles around the object and you can no longer see it, the remote controller signal will be lost and your Phantom will return to the home point.

Note: You'll be able to adjust the radius and altitude later. So, it's okay if they are not perfect at this point.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-4.jpg

8) Adjust the speed slider to the left if you'd like your Phantom to travel clockwise around the circle. Or, slide it to the right if you'd like your Phantom to travel counter-clockwise around the circle. The speed will increase as the slider moves further away from the center of the bar.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-5.jpg

9) Click the "Apply" button to save your settings and to start circling the object.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-6.jpg

Make adjustments as your Phantom circles the object.

10) Your Phantom will continue to circle the object over and over again until you tell it to stop. You can temporarily stop your Phantom by clicking the "Pause" button.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-1.jpg

11) As your Phantom is circling the object, you can push the right stick down to increase the radius or push it up to decrease the radius. The "Radius" value will change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start circling at the new radius as you increase/decrease it.

As your Phantom is circling the object, you can also adjust the altitude. Push the left stick up to increase the altitude or down to decrease the altitude. The "Altitude" value will change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start circling at the new altitude as you increase/decrease it.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-2.jpg

12) As your Phantom is circling the object, you can adjust the speed slider to increase/decrease the speed. The speed value with change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start circling at the new speed as you increase/decrease it.

Important: Do not move the slider across the center point. Doing so might make your Phantom unstable as it attempts to change its direction. If you'd like to change the direction, click the "Pause" button, make that adjustment, and then unpause to continue circling in the new direction.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-3.jpg

13) As your Phantom is circling the object, you can move the left stick to the right or left to yaw and face a different direction. Click "Focus" to make your Phantom point toward the center of the circle again.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-4.jpg

14) Click the "Exit" button to stop circling and exit the Point of Interest (POI) function. You can also exit by flipping the PAF switch back to the "P" position.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-5.jpg

Thanks for this guide!

Better than DJI would have done if DJI cared enough about the user experience to actually provide a manual for these new features!

Thanks for this great post. I have a question: is in the point 5 of your post when you define the centre of the circle and for that reason you have to put the phantom on top of the desired POI? Am I right? Thanks a lot

I finally set up a POI flight today, and it worked exactly as described here. When I was finished orbiting around my subject, I flipped the Flight Mode Switch from "F" back to "P", and a few seconds later the bird was hovering in place, with 18 Sat's stable.
If I tapped the "EXIT" option in the APP, I'd be in "F" FM still.
What's the downside of not being in "P" ..... especially since I find myself studying the App screen to be sure I know where I am, etc ...

A big thank you for this and other GC tutorial. Been searching the web for Youtube tutorial or any writeup on the new features without much success and why on earth doesn't DJI provide a user manual. Without knowing the features are only accessible while in flight I would never have figured it out on my own since the GO app shows no signs of these new features.
Thanks again!

Reactions: jephoto
Hey,

Great post. I'm new to this and have a question, when exiting POI by flicking the S1 back to the neutral position or by clicking exit on screen, it goes into non GPS mode. Is this how it always will be? Or am I not exiting correctly? Cheers in advance.

If you hit "Hide" to hide the IOC menu while doing POI, how do you get the IOC menu back?
Having trouble finding where it is after I've hidden it....

If you hit "Hide" to hide the IOC menu while doing POI, how do you get the IOC menu back?
Having trouble finding where it is after I've hidden it....
Hit the small icon up top just left of the 'safe to fly' box.

The first time I did a POI it worked like a dream, but I forgot to press record. Lol.

Reactions: eBird
The first time I did a POI it worked like a dream, but I forgot to press record. Lol.

My exact same experience... Eventually, I got it right... The problem with POI and flying around noon was the propeller shadow that resulted on the video on during one half of my orbit... Didn't "see" it until I was editing the video. Very disappointing since it was for a work function, and couldn't use the footage...

Reactions: lotusteve
Great and extremely beneficial post - Many thanks.
One question, the Focus option - does that re- center the camera on the initial POI after the radius and altitude have been tweaked ? or is this to select a new POI whilst airborne ?

The program seems autonomous. When I turned off the controller during a POI mission, the phantom continues to circle on the programmed path, continuously. That means that circling behind a big building should work fine, losing signal won't enable rth right away. It likely enables rth when the battery gets low.

Reactions: jggraham

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl