how to set 3 position switch to set angle of zenmuse?

Reaction score
I want to use an unused switch on my Taranis to go to a certain angle with the zenmuse. Say position 1 is 0 degrees, position 2 is 45 degrees and position 3 is 90 degrees.

How would I go about doing this? Anyone able to help?

Are you already familiar with how to connect to a PC and use the OpenTX software?

Also:

What switch do you want to use for this?

Do you still want slider/knob control or just switch control only?

Both. I have the slider setup but I want to use a switch for fast angle selection. I saw a mod for the futaba with a bunch of settings like auto yaw trim, auto gimbal pan and I want to setup my taranis to mimic the futaba.

There's more than one way to accomplish that with a Taranis (using a switch to select/override gimbal tilt) and I confess I'm not well versed in all of them yet. One way you could do it is with simple custom servo outputs assigned to the switch of your choice, enabled/disabled by any other switch of your choice, which would be used in place of the slider any time you wanted

You'll have to get an exact idea of what you need to do with it to be able to know how to program it for that. E.g. exactly what do you want from "auto gimbal pan" (since there's no manual yaw on the Zenmuse)?

I have a similar setup on my Taranis. I have the basic gimbal tilt set to a slider on the side. Then I have a 3 position switch set to override the slider value when flipped. Switch up is set to no override, center switch is straight ahead with a slight down tilt to avoid the rotors and down switch is pointing straight down. I just created a new mix for channel 5 and set the "Source" to the switch I wanted to use. Then set the "Switch" to the desired position and used the "Offset" to tilt the gimbal to the desired position. Make sure you have "Multpx" set to "Replace" so it will override your slider. Repeat for the next switch position and offset.
This setup will only allow you to have two positions stored. If you programmed a tilt for all 3 positions it would completely override your slider. You could, however, setup a toggle on another switch that activated the override for the 3 way switch. Maybe with a custom function/switch? There are many ways to accomplish what you want.

Here is a link to a video that might give you ideas on how to proceed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gA5o_g ... I8zIW_ecbg

Mike said:
I have a similar setup on my Taranis. I have the basic gimbal tilt set to a slider on the side. Then I have a 3 position switch set to override the slider value when flipped. Switch up is set to no override, center switch is straight ahead with a slight down tilt to avoid the rotors and down switch is pointing straight down. I just created a new mix for channel 5 and set the "Source" to the switch I wanted to use. Then set the "Switch" to the desired position and used the "Offset" to tilt the gimbal to the desired position. Make sure you have "Multpx" set to "Replace" so it will override your slider. Repeat for the next switch position and offset.
This setup will only allow you to have two positions stored. If you programmed a tilt for all 3 positions it would completely override your slider. You could, however, setup a toggle on another switch that activated the override for the 3 way switch. Maybe with a custom function/switch? There are many ways to accomplish what you want.

Here is a link to a video that might give you ideas on how to proceed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gA5o_g ... I8zIW_ecbg

Thanks, I was going to start playing with this and you confirmed my suspicion about switches and offsets. I will definitely set this up soon.

As OIPhotography said, there are probably a number of ways to do this. To your first question, that is setting both a knob like LS to the camera tilt, then:
In mixes, assuming the LS knob is set to channel 5(the camera pitch), set the following mixes using the offset to change the pitch of camera:

CH5 LS Weight(-100) Switch(SE ((up)) Offset(-100)
R LS Weight(-100) Switch(SE ((middle))) Offset(-50)
LS Weight(-100) Switch(SE ((down)) Offset(0)

I did this in the Companion simulator and it appears to do what you want with a switch. By setting the offset, it should adjust the camera angle(at least it worked in simulator).

Hope this helps....

Oops...I now see Mike beat me to it.

Thanks gents. Trying to take the Taranis to the next level. Thinking about adding some telemetry to the bird too. Maybe GPS co-ordinates on the tracker.

You guys should post your Taranis files for others to use.

quality control said:
You guys should post your Taranis files for others to use.

The one attached is my base eeprom that I use right now (just core functions), has both my phantom and 550 on it. Just be careful because the 550 is set up for Wookong channel mapping instead of NAZA. The Phantom model on there should work for you fine though. Credit for the original setup goes to rilot, one of several long-time Taranis pros around here.

Attachments

• 2nd.zip
    7 KB · Views: 171
I am so frustrated. I tried to load the eeprom from Opentx 2.0.8 and every time I load it, opentx says it loads correctly. I power up the Taranis, I get a bad eeprom error and it formats starting my Taranis from scratch?

Anyone have a fix? I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have scoured the internet looking for a solution, nothing I have tried has worked.

quality control said:
I am so frustrated. I tried to load the eeprom from Opentx 2.0.8 and every time I load it, opentx says it loads correctly. I power up the Taranis, I get a bad eeprom error and it formats starting my Taranis from scratch?

Anyone have a fix? I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have scoured the internet looking for a solution, nothing I have tried has worked.

After some time and about 1000 forums I fixed it. Weird how I had to fix it but I did.

Anyways now I am trying to setup a 3 position switch for gimbal control to override the slider. Does anyone know how the offsets work for a 45 degree and 90 degree position? I cannot seem to figure it out. no matter what offset values I put it, it responds the same way.

quality control said:
After some time and about 1000 forums I fixed it. Weird how I had to fix it but I did.

Do you mind sharing just the short version of what it took? (previous firmware? manual hard reset?) I haven't seen that issue before and I just want to have a general sense of what kind of fix is required.

As for the tilt values, I'm pretty sure 0 or close to it would give you 45 deg and -100 would give you 90deg (straight down). Tell me which switch you're wanting to use for this and I'll get you a screenshot to work from.

quality control said:
no matter what offset values I put it, it responds the same way.
Hmmmm... If the Phantom is on, you should see the gimbal moving as you change the offset. Does your slider work properly? If so, copy and paste that mix on the same channel, then change the switch source to whatever you want to use. Make sure you have "Multpx" set to "Replace" instead of "Add." As you change the offset you should see the gimbal tilting accordingly. Then just set it where you want it. Duplicate that setting again and change the switch position and offset to your preference.

OI Photography said:
quality control said:

Do you mind sharing just the short version of what it took? (previous firmware? manual hard reset?) I haven't seen that issue before and I just want to have a general sense of what kind of fix is required.

As for the tilt values, I'm pretty sure 0 or close to it would give you 45 deg and -100 would give you 90deg (straight down). Tell me which switch you're wanting to use for this and I'll get you a screenshot to work from.

Updated firmware with radio off and uninstalled any drivers that were installed from windows. Seemed to visit.

Mike said:
quality control said:
Hmmmm... If the Phantom is on, you should see the gimbal moving as you change the offset. Does your slider work properly? If so, copy and paste that mix on the same channel, then change the switch source to whatever you want to use. Make sure you have "Multpx" set to "Replace" instead of "Add." As you change the offset you should see the gimbal tilting accordingly. Then just set it where you want it. Duplicate that setting again and change the switch position and offset to your preference.

This did work thanks. The only thing that did not was slowing down the gimbal with the switch. I managed to do it with the slider, but cannot slow down the gimbal on the switches.

quality control said:
Mike said:
quality control said:

This did work thanks. The only thing that did not was slowing down the gimbal with the switch. I managed to do it with the slider, but cannot slow down the gimbal on the switches.

Is the switch you're using for the gimbal tilt set up on the Mixes tab? If so, double click on the line for either switch position, and in the editing box that comes up, enter 1.5 in the "Slow" values at the bottom (up and down), then click ok. Repeat the same for the 2nd switch position.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20