How to respond to people asking you to not fly or fly in your space

Eug

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a newbie and loving my P3A. How is it best to handle a person who does not want you to fly in "their" space? I was flying in a large park in the UK with not many people and was asked by a person to please keep my bird in my space. As this was my first time ever questions I said ok and stuck pretty close to home.

Any thoughts welcome ..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Did he give you a reason for not flying in his space? What does he mean by "his space".
Being in the UK, I would imagine that the restrictions are alot different than the US, so you may be in a different situation with fly rules.

I didn't get that far to be honest, I just said ok and didn't go too far. I was about 70m up most of the time so you couldn't really hear it but at some stage I must of flown in his vicinity and he noticed it. I really didn't want to cause a fuss because I currently can fly in my local park and don't want that to be taken away.

Just tell them that your a reporter or member of the media. We all know that there are no rules for privacy in our wonderful country when it comes to the media :)

BTW, if you do ever try and watch the rugby with your drone make sure you don't get caught ;)
A guy in manchester got 2 years for watching united game with a drone !!!!

Yeah I read that .. All stadiums are a big no no .. That and the queens parks and built up areas and populated areas and and and .. I wish there was an website/app that had places that you can fly !! Thanks [emoji106]

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Yes, it is probably best to honor the guys request and keep the peace. You did the right thing!

Let me answer it this way, if I was in a park, and someone looked like they were photographing my family, I'd hope they would cease when I asked them to.

The government wrench only goes one direction.

SB

Reactions: BigAl07
I am in the States. A few weeks ago, I was flying at a friends house. About 200 ft AGL, went to the end of the property and continued overtop of a wooded area. Brought it back closer, this guy comes running out of the woods shouting "Don't fly that thing over my house or property please". I didn't feel that the confrontation was worth it, so I said OK. I should've told him that I saw his wife jumping up and down naked and was going in for a closer look! This fellow has a reputation of being the neighborhood asshat.

In 120 flights, it's the first time anyone ever said anything to me, usually people are interested in the technology.

Bob

I always try to take off from a very inconspicuous location so as to not attract attention. I have had only one negative experience and that was with a homeless person who was unbalanced. He threatened to call the police, I encouraged him to do so. I waited for them to arrive but they never did. I later called dispatch (I happened to be retired from that department) and explained the circumstances. They said an officer did eventually respond and determined the person was unbalanced and left. I was doing nothing wrong but sometimes it is better to avoid conflict if at all possible. This person was getting increasingly agitated and at one point looked like he was going to grab my AC. I told him that would not be a wise decision and packed up.

I have had far more positive experiences with people being curious and then really impressed what this bird can do. I even offer to send them footage if they want to see the finished product.

For every 50 people that don't mind you enjoying your hobby and would show an interest their will be one that wants to spoil your fun, for the sake of the reputation of the hobby its far better to avoid confrontation and be as reasonable as you can tolerate.
If that fails, break his legs and run.

Let me answer it this way, if I was in a park, and someone looked like they were photographing my family, I'd hope they would cease when I asked them to.

The government wrench only goes one direction.

SB

I see this much different than you.
If I was in a park and saw a drone flying around, and it flew over my family I wouldn't even in a million years think that there was any possibility, at all, that any drone pilot would have any even slight desire to film me or my family!
None. Wouldn't even cross my mind.
Why would anybody...especially someone who posts on this forum and has a drone(s)...think that there is any reason someone would want to film them?
And even if that one in a billion chance that there is one drone owner out there that would be interested in filming a random family hanging around in a park...SO WHAT.

I don't get it....I really don't....?????????????

I agree. In my situation, I was flying above a wooded section between homes (probably not public land, but not populated), the guy kind of freaked out for no reason. I guess though that this would be predictable based on the opinions of the neighbors of him.

Still, in the end, it's just not worth the effort to try to calm them down or argue. Easy enough to switch directions.

Just hang a kentucky fried chiken (extra crispy) drum stick and deliver to the first complaintant, you'll open up places to fly everywhere. It works, so does candy drops

Reactions: dtviewer
I agree that you took the smart way...sometimes its just not worth it.
But like I said above, if someone saw me and the family at a park the craziest thing we would be doing...hold on...here it comes...is probably throwing a Frisbee around. Or maybe even cooking some burgers on a grill.
why would anyone think that someone would want to film someone doing that?
And even if that one in a billion person is out there that would...SO WHAT. We go to many places...it would be no different than someone filming us grocery shopping. And as in the example above, why would I think anyone would be interested in filming that???????? And even if they did, what would it matter??????

I told a lady that was about to complain that I have turrets syndrome and started to cuss. She quickly walked off. Quick and easy is the key my friends.

Reactions: Cameronb1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav