How to respond to a public that is convinced drones are for "peeping Tom's"?

Just tell them not to worry to much
Cameras are everywhere at shops factory's home security even your laptop and just about everyone has a smartphone with camera
It's a fact of life so don't let them pick on something with a camera just because it flys

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Just say "I'm tracking down a peado" then stay silent... Pretty sure they won't hassle you again [emoji6]

Reactions: DocDiggler
I see some similarities between drones and that google glass experiment, remember people were freaked out by those because they didn't know when a person was recording.

I do think we as hobbyists should stay away from peoples backyards however, or at least fly over them high and fast if you have to. It's a really nice day here today and I was about to fly my drone but my neighbors are sitting out on their deck enjoying the warn day. I'll wait a bit or maybe go over there and have a beer with them instead :)

I had an interesting interaction last week when I was flying out over an old quarry.
A guy was walking his dog and stopped by to see what I was doing. He was quite friendly and
didn't seem annoyed by the drone's presence. We chatted a while and privacy came up. I told him that the camera was a fixed focus and had no ability to zoom. I mentioned that it was 4K and he replied; "You said this wasn't a threat to anyone's privacy, but with that sort of resolution, you may not be able to zoom in from the air, but I bet you can really zoom in once the video is downloaded, can't you? No lose of detail at 4K!" I didn't know how to respond (he had a very valid point), so I said "well, that is why I am out here flying away from people and homes."

So, I will not mention what my camera's resolution is to curious onlookers unless they ask from now on.
Yeh i do same now ,even street veiw app is more intrusive,,

How about that one
0e19976aad41af4b9d8d562ae7de3eb3.jpg

When our local busy body asked if I was going to start snooping on neighbors. I told him "yea and if people only knew about the new app I have. It will allow you to look right into windows. Really cool." Also if he finds out there is something worth looking at from a couple hundred feet I'd like to know about it. They are not worth your time thinking about. As long as you fly legal and respect people and their privacy. They are not respecting you. I had the same thing happen when I flew a kite aerial platform. There are a lot of people who hate the fact other people are enjoying themselves. They don't want to see anyone having fun.

I've never been approached while flying, but I've heard many comments to that effect.

If I try to explain that drones don't do closeups well (wide-angle lens, vibrations, noise, etc.) their eyes glaze over. I hate to let them keep that misconception, but I haven't found a short, convincing response.

It's like they automatically assume we're all pervs.

Turn the tables on them. Say something to the effect of " I use my Uav for inspecting rooftops, despite your mind being in the gutter. You've made it very clear what a YOU would do if no one were looking...."

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
We get a ton of your Canadian geese here in Colorado this time of the year and they fertilize my field. If they weren't so fatty cooked the odd one might not make it back to Canada ;)

Going above zero tomorrow in our part of the world.:) My problem these days is th friggin geese. Used to be only the Canada's got in my way. Lately we have been getting Snow geese by the thousands.

View attachment 77744

WOW... I was actually thinking of you when I noticed "Upper Canada"... someone mentioned razor blades for props, might wanna look into that!

We get a ton of your Canadian geese here in Colorado this time of the year and they fertilize my field. If they weren't so fatty cooked the odd one might not make it back to Canada ;)

Wouldn't miss a few... should see what they do to a golf course, or a car. And they're mean too. Not representative of the typical Canadian! [emoji6]

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
Get a mavic.
No one gives a f*** about the mavics. They think its one of those cheapy 'flip toy quads'.
Best is that the controller isn't a bright white 'look-at-me' controller.

Went though Vietnams' customs behind a Nordic couple. Their P4 was inspected, and my mavic wasn't.
No one bats an eye.

I used to test-fly at my fav local park. I would hide myself in the corner of the park like peado to minimise attention, but kids would still flock to the P2/P3 on take off.
Ironically, I had to ask the kids where their parents were and remind them that it's dangerous to speak to strangers. This doesn't happen any more with the mavic as no one bats an eye.

Wouldn't miss a few... should see what they do to a golf course, or a car. And they're mean too. Not representative of the typical Canadian! [emoji6]
We get 1000s and 1000s of them at the start and end of winter, I think Denver is on the migratory path. Trust me I know what the little buggers do and it's good fertilizer for my field :) I flew over a flock that was on the ground in my yard and they didn't seem to care about the drone.

It's always funny seeing them in the yard around Thanksgiving. I'm a bit too lazy to pluck them and the wife wouldn't want anything to do with eating them but I often think a shot from an air riffle would save a turkey :D

Get a mavic.
No one gives a f*** about the mavics. They think its one of those cheapy 'flip toy quads'.
Best is that the controller isn't a bright white 'look-at-me' controller.

Went though Vietnams' customs behind a Nordic couple. Their P4 was inspected, and my mavic wasn't.
No one bats an eye.

I used to test-fly at my fav local park. I would hide myself in the corner of the park like peado to minimise attention, but kids would still flock to the P2/P3 on take off.
Ironically, I had to ask the kids where their parents were and remind them that it's dangerous to speak to strangers. This doesn't happen any more with the mavic as no one bats an eye.
I'm committed to a P4 for a while but the next gen mavic would be something I'd consider. I've been learning from home and haven't had any people issues yet and don't foresee people problems in the Colorado mountains in summer but who knows.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj