HOW TO: Removing/Replacing your WiFi Module

I have a P2V+, I just ordered a new WiFi module DJIPVP-03, is this the new version of the module that doesn't have the heating till it dies issue? I don't want to have to keep buying these.
The newer version has perforations for ventilation, I'd be surprised if there's much older stock around still - however the older style should still last many months hopefully?
Even with the new version bear in mind the risk of heat build up.
Try to avoid letting it sit without props running - e.g. lengthy transfer of video by wifi seems a bad idea to me.

It will surely fit, I wouldn't worry that much about it to be honest, the perforations are probably mostly a gesture.
Some have opened a defective one and not been impressed by the poorly applied heat transmitting paste for the heat sink. The revised design suggests they were aware of failures due to heat build up and perhaps they now pay more attention to the paste too.

Should I open the new one and use one of my very good thermal pastes I have on it? I have good ones I apply to my Computer cpus. I'd rather not if the module is good to go with the paste it has. Thanks for the help by the way.

Should I open the new one and use one of my very good thermal pastes I have on it? I have good ones I apply to my Computer cpus. I'd rather not if the module is good to go with the paste it has. Thanks for the help by the way.

way to many folks have posts about video loss on v2 and v3 phantom 2 visions.
while you have it in hand just go ahead and use the cpu paste , many videos on youtube .
can not hurt and it may save your wifi!

good luck and have fun flying!

Guys what about when complete screen in DJI Vision app freezes ? So it goes 80m from me and the image and complete telemetry freezes. I drive it back to me but Android phone says the same for the Phantom battery like 70% and it has 1 LED etc. So it works unitil it freezes like that.

Is that WiFi failure or something else ?

I'm into this issue now since my Phantom II Vision Plus 3.0 has lost its video feed to my iPhone.
When I contacted DJI Tech Support, they told me that the WiFi module may need to be replaced and they would cover the cost;however, I would need to wait for them to ship me a pre-paid shipping container and then I needed to ship my aircraft to California for the repair work to be done there.

If I wanted to save time, I could contact my nearest DJI dealer and they would send me a new module, but I would have to pay for it myself.
Cost: $250

:(

I have a customer that is needing to replace a WiFi module in his P2V+ so I thought I would do a step by step with photos for future reference.

Tools needed:
2mm allen wrench
#0 Phillips screw driver
Hair dryer
Work mat
Replacement WiFi Module Link for purchase

UPDATE As more Phantom 2 Vision+'s are reaching customers something that has happened is that the video feed will be lost. If you still have telemetry info like altitude, distance, speed, battery voltage, etc. and if you are still able to take video and pictures but are missing the video feed there is a high chance that you need to replace your WiFi module. Fortunately this is very easy.

Start by removing the top shell of your Phantom by removing the three allen screws on each arm and the one small phillips head screw. It is best to have a work mat so that screws do not go bouncing away. Note that you can have a screw sucked into the motor from the magnets so use caution!
QTbscTm.jpg

Unplug the GPS receiver wire from the main circuit board
LGtbm7L.jpg

Here is the WiFi module
rRsOHdC.jpg

Disconnect the two plugs on the side by pinching down on the clip and then a slight pull. Remove the single phillips head screw on the side of the module. Take note of the capacitor directly behind the module, this is important to watch for later
aDWXubL.jpg

Plugs and screw removed
f7lCnYl.jpg

Carefully lift the WiFi module from the back to front. It is simply 2 sided taped onto the board. This is where heating it slightly with a hair dryer will help reduce the adhesion from the tape. Be careful to NOT damage the capacitor previously noted Remove the last ribbon cable from the rear of the module
f7lCnYl.jpg

Removed and shot of the tape
aFDFAF4.jpg

There are two antennas that are press-fit coaxial type. These will need a firm tug to release:
2tVGesl.jpg

One of the antennas (just for reference)
R6MwSh4.jpg

All removed!
jA0Y84m.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this. If you have any more requests for other "How-To's" let me know and I will see what I can do.

I have a customer that is needing to replace a WiFi module in his P2V+ so I thought I would do a step by step with photos for future reference.

Tools needed:
2mm allen wrench
#0 Phillips screw driver
Hair dryer
Work mat
Replacement WiFi Module Link for purchase

UPDATE As more Phantom 2 Vision+'s are reaching customers something that has happened is that the video feed will be lost. If you still have telemetry info like altitude, distance, speed, battery voltage, etc. and if you are still able to take video and pictures but are missing the video feed there is a high chance that you need to replace your WiFi module. Fortunately this is very easy.

Start by removing the top shell of your Phantom by removing the three allen screws on each arm and the one small phillips head screw. It is best to have a work mat so that screws do not go bouncing away. Note that you can have a screw sucked into the motor from the magnets so use caution!
QTbscTm.jpg

Unplug the GPS receiver wire from the main circuit board
LGtbm7L.jpg

Here is the WiFi module
rRsOHdC.jpg

Disconnect the two plugs on the side by pinching down on the clip and then a slight pull. Remove the single phillips head screw on the side of the module. Take note of the capacitor directly behind the module, this is important to watch for later
aDWXubL.jpg

Plugs and screw removed
f7lCnYl.jpg

Carefully lift the WiFi module from the back to front. It is simply 2 sided taped onto the board. This is where heating it slightly with a hair dryer will help reduce the adhesion from the tape. Be careful to NOT damage the capacitor previously noted Remove the last ribbon cable from the rear of the module
f7lCnYl.jpg

Removed and shot of the tape
aFDFAF4.jpg

There are two antennas that are press-fit coaxial type. These will need a firm tug to release:
2tVGesl.jpg

One of the antennas (just for reference)
R6MwSh4.jpg

All removed!
jA0Y84m.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this. If you have any more requests for other "How-To's" let me know and I will see what I can do.
I had to replace my wifi module due to crash. The thin gray wire broke. Where can I find a new one? I have completed the install just need the little gray wire. Thanks

I have the same problem and I opened up my Pv2 and I didn't see a module like the one shown in the pictures? Where would it be located?

I have the same problem and I opened up my Pv2 and I didn't see a module like the one shown in the pictures? Where would it be located?
It'll be right next to the flight control module (orange box). It may look a little different if it's a vented wifi module. It'll have the holes in it.

Attachments

• vented.jpg
    vented.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 775
Per your sig, you mean P2V right? It's in the camera. However, are you sure your wifi module doesn't transmit? It's rare for the P2V wifi modules to go bad.

Not sure at this point, just no FPV - for my phantom 2 vision (not +) Exhausted my limited knowledge...

The antenna is probably not bad. It may be disconnected or the transceiver may be burnt. They're called a patch antenna. There's two, one on each side. They're in the battery compartment of the P2V+ (but on the P2V they're in the camera).

4wd could you explain what you met when you said " don't forget to tap the blue tick to confirm" , what is a blue tick and where is it at? I have to replace my Wi-Fi module and I am trying to see what I have to do before I replace it. I don't understand what you mean. Thank you!

How do you rebind the Wi-Fi Module back to the Phantom? 4WD said "don't forget to tap the blue tick to confirm " Hmmm? what is the blue tick? Thank you for your time and help!

Hello I have a Phantom 2 Vision (no +) my model does not have that Wifi module. Where is it located in the egg-shaped chamber? a greeting

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20