HOW TO: Removing/Replacing your WiFi Module

ATC Drone Flyer said:
oscar19 said:
I have been having sporadic issues with my fpv also. My question is will the above info on symptoms and fixes also be valid with a PV2 (not a +)?
Not likely. . .
There are quite a few differences between the P2V and +. The main ones being:
1.) P2V Wi-Fi circuitry is in the camera itself where the + is inside the Phantom
2.) Same with the antennas

Before mine flew back to China (P2V) I was having similar issues. I performed the camera / repeater Wi-Fi antenna mod, and the problems went away. After the antenna mod, I was able to get 2500+ feet of reliable telemetry and FPV Video. . .

Have you done any such modifications to your P2V?

No, I have done no mods. I am a newbie so basically I'm getting my feet wet as how to fly without loosing or crashing my quad.

Can you give me more info on what you mean by "the camera / repeater Wi-Fi antenna mod"? I would love to resolve this lose of fpv and get more distance to boot.

Thanks.

oscar19 said:
Can you give me more info on what you mean by "the camera / repeater Wi-Fi antenna mod"? I would love to resolve this lose of fpv and get more distance to boot.

Thanks.
Here are a few examples for starters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-vR6OR ... uVKQGl3TEA
http://youtu.be/aEHzDi4hHKU?list=UUKQLa ... uVKQGl3TEA

There are many more out there. Just do a search on YouTube for "Phantom 2 Vision Antenna mod" and you should come up with enough hits to keep you busy for a while :)

buddhacanooda said:
So for anyone who swapped out wifi modules for a new unit did you have a recurrence of the problem?

After swapping my original module for replacement an initial test has solved the problem. I did however find that the connecting wire on the left hand push in connection to the wifi module was a very loose fit. It might be worth just checking this first for anybody getting a similar problem.

Thanks @DDMSteve for the photos and info on how to swap the wifi module.

It looks like mine is fried as well. 40 flights or so in.
I'm surprised to see the number of people having issues with the wifi module (and not complaining much), and saw one post with only 10 flights having this issue.

Although DDMSteve's photos were good, does anyone have a link for a video of someone swapping out the wifi module?

Now to go buy a wifi module :(

plasmo said:
Thanks @DDMSteve for the photos and info on how to swap the wifi module.

It looks like mine is fried as well. 40 flights or so in.
I'm surprised to see the number of people having issues with the wifi module (and not complaining much), and saw one post with only 10 flights having this issue.

Although DDMSteve's photos were good, does anyone have a link for a video of someone swapping out the wifi module?

Now to go buy a wifi module :(
People who buy £1000 toys are more interested in playing with it than worrying about the cost. We are a very a lucky lot. Buying a new module that cures the fault is all we want to know. Fitting it is really really easy. Just do not use a pair of long nose pliers to take out the plastic connectors squeezing the top and bottom gets them out easy. When levering off the sticky that holds the module in place just go very slowly eventually it just clicks away.

I just swapped my Wifi Module using the instructions here.
Can someone direct me to instructions on how to Rebind my P2V+ again? I'm getting "wifi Repeater connection failed" error. Thanks

Edit: Figured out how to Rebind. Wifi video now working. :)

I have no telemetry or live feed/camera controls, etc. Is this the wifi module or something else?

mgr134 said:
I have no telemetry or live feed/camera controls, etc. Is this the wifi module or something else?

Try rebinding before you throw any money at it.

Jeremy James

burlbark said:
mgr134 said:

Jeremy James

I've tried over and over again. The assistant software already has the proper MAC info in it. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Just hate to replace the wrong part. Everyone on this string at least had telemetry data.

nexus said:
its not the wifi box, its the main board. been there done that...
if u crashed and hit ground upside down, you main board is ****** not wifi,

- If you can't control the camera
- if you have no GPS on the app or Battery, Distance , SPeed
- but can see video
- And you can get GPS to lock on GREEN LIGHTS

THEN YOU KILLED UR MAIN BOARD

YOUR

Water landing and can't see video. There's no connection with the phantom at all. It even says cannot connect with Phantom. No access to the SD card or anything through the app. I get green lights and NAZA mode works correctly as do the S1 and S2 switches.

nexus said:
saltwater and live DC current at the time of hitting the water will short out many modules. How long have you owned the unit?
if your answer is TOO LONG, I am sorry but you must replace most of the internal boards, sea water and live current will fry many resistors SEND IT TO A REPAIR SHOP OR MOVE ON TO A NEW ONE THEY ARE GETTING CHEAPER

Freshwater. And barely a month. Like I said everything functions really well. Just can't connect to it. It holds GPS and the camera records when I use the button on the bottom of the gimbal plate.

mgr134 said:
burlbark said:
mgr134 said:

Jeremy James

I've tried over and over again. The assistant software already has the proper MAC info in it. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Just hate to replace the wrong part. Everyone on this string at least had telemetry data.

Yep..... hit and hold the reset on your wifi extender. Re-enter all info using the scan tool included in the App. You would be surprised how many wifi modules are being replaced when they really needed to have the extender reset and syncing data uploaded again. I have seen it on the last 2 Visions that I worked on.

It doesnt matter what it says.... I rebind them until it fails. Only then will I suggest replacement parts.

hit and hold the reset on your wifi extender. Re-enter all info using the scan tool included in the App. You would be surprised how many wifi modules are being replaced when they really needed to have the extender reset and syncing data uploaded again. I have seen it on the last 2 Visions that I worked on.

It doesnt matter what it says.... I rebind them until it fails. Only then will I suggest replacement parts.
burlbark

can you elaborate on the scan tool? not sure where it is

nptor said:
can you elaborate on the scan tool? not sure where it is

On the range extender that is mounted on your transmitter (this piece: http://www.davesmotors.com/DJI-Phantom- ... ender.html ) You turn it on, use somethign like a paper clip and push in the "reset" button next to the on/off switch. Hold the button in until the lights go off, then the "power" will come on, stop pushing the reset button and give the extender ~30 seconds to reboot. Once rebooted turn on your transmitter, then turn on your Phantom. Find the network for the Phantom on your device, connect to it. Open the Vision app and go Settings > Binding > Scan QR code. You will then scan the QR code on the box or on the bottom of your Phantom. Once that is scanned be sure to hit the blue check mark button on the app to confirm it. This will then drop the wifi network from the phantom (because now the device should be "talking" to the extender). Power everything down, boot back up, connect to network and then open the app.

ASSUMING that the WiFi module is not bad then you should be successfully connected and have control/video for your camera. If you get only the telemetry then it is probably the wifi module. If "Connection to Phantom failed" then it could be:
Range extender
WiFi Module
Camera (ribbon cables/something else messed up)

Thanks for the help but after rebinding i still have the dreaded black screen looks like il need a WiFi module

DDMSteve,

if these wifi units may possibly be overheating, and cant bleed off the heated generated fast enough, what about this idea: just lose the metal encasing thats holding in the heat? everything gets screwed in as normal, only, a few standoff washers to prevent shorts.

then the chips "that may be overheating" are breathing to open outdoor air circulated naturally by the phantom shell vents?

maybe the problem isnt overheating. maybe its lack of circulation?

nedro018 said:
DDMSteve,

if these wifi units may possibly be overheating, and cant bleed off the heated generated fast enough, what about this idea: just lose the metal encasing thats holding in the heat? everything gets screwed in as normal, only, a few standoff washers to prevent shorts.

then the chips "that may be overheating" are breathing to open outdoor air circulated naturally by the phantom shell vents?

maybe the problem isnt overheating. maybe its lack of circulation?

This may sound like a fix but the large metal case acts as a heat sink to multiple components. I purchased a burned up wifi unit from a member here and am waiting on it to show up in the mail. I will then try to reverse engineer it checking known values and try to find the failing component.

The metal also shields the wifi unit from EMI and shields the flight controller and mother board from unwanted interference being generated.

Jeremy James

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj