HOW TO: Removing/Replacing your WiFi Module

i am having a similar issue but cannot bind new camera with ipad, but can occasionally bind with android gs4 , but will lose wifi connection within a minute . never getting any telemetry or image.
posting mostly to get updates on this thread.

I'm having the problem and will try the new wifi module. Can anyone explain how it is possible to get all the telemetry to the iPhone via wifi but not the FPV images? The wifi unit can't be completely broken. I can even use the Album feature to download the camera files to the iPhone over the wifi and that seems to happen pretty quickly, so the wifi would seem to have reasonable bandwidth.

Steve,
Can you do a how to on getting access to the receiver board under the main board? Trying to replace the rx antennas without splicing

jdsfx said:
i am having a similar issue but cannot bind new camera with ipad, but can occasionally bind with android gs4 , but will lose wifi connection within a minute . never getting any telemetry or image.
posting mostly to get updates on this thread.
The Vision app will not work on the iPad, but will work on the iPad Mini. If your GS4 only connects for a little but, but then drops the wifi connection it is likely doing this because you are not putting your phone in Airplane Mode. Some Android phones freak out when they connect to a wifi network and are not able to update all of the background widgets they will drop the wifi network and go back to a cellular network or home WiFi network if available.

RichWCarr said:
I'm having the problem and will try the new wifi module. Can anyone explain how it is possible to get all the telemetry to the iPhone via wifi but not the FPV images? The wifi unit can't be completely broken. I can even use the Album feature to download the camera files to the iPhone over the wifi and that seems to happen pretty quickly, so the wifi would seem to have reasonable bandwidth.

No idea why it is just dropping video, but there have been numerous others with similar symptoms that are remedied with the WiFi module getting replaced. It seems weird to me too that you could get all of the other information, still start/stop recording and get everything but the video feed.

ATC Drone Flyer said:
lilazndemon20 said:
Steve,
Can you do a how to on getting access to the receiver board under the main board? Trying to replace the rx antennas without splicing
I'm NOT Steve, but here is a pretty comprehensive topic on how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17834

Thanks for the link! That is a helpful one to have on hand. :)

I replaced my wifi module, after seeing this thread. I have an android device (previously a Galaxy Nexus, now an S5, and as a bonus when upgrading, I got a Verizon Ellipsis 7 tablet too). The wifi replacement helped, after trying all the firmware upgrade/downgrade made no difference. I had previously replaced the 3 wires from the camera to wifi module.

Yesterday, I swapped the camera out for a brand new one (purchased from DDM of course) -- and I also reran the wires (not replaced, just carefully rerouted) from the camera to the wifi module. For the first time ever (I've had this since June), I had a perfect FPV flight, with virtually all telemetry (except range extender battery). I've had the Phantom over 2 months now, and the idea of flying via FPV was so "new" I couldn't trust what I saw! I did mostly line of sight flying, just due to glare on the screen, and the amount of trees I was near -- I just needed to be sure I could have a successful flight.

Bottom line -- I know it is expensive, and from my understanding the camera does not (or should not) effect the wifi signal -- that seems to have been my problem. I had replaced the wires (no change), the wifi module (only marginally better), the range extender (no change) and the camera/gimbal unit (complete success). I only flew one battery -- as I ran the other two down flying in different locations hoping it was a signal issue at my house.... but I feel that I now have a fully functioning phantom!

In all your mods did you change anything with the antennae? I wondered why there are two leading out of the wifi module. Does one specifically carry signal for the FPV and the other for the rest of the telemetry data (pure speculation on my part)?

I just replaced the wifi module in mine and got back all the telemetry except FPV. I can control the camera, take images onto the SD and view them on the app. But no live feed. Grrr....

cmt56ss said:
I replaced my wifi module, after seeing this thread. I have an android device (previously a Galaxy Nexus, now an S5, and as a bonus when upgrading, I got a Verizon Ellipsis 7 tablet too). The wifi replacement helped, after trying all the firmware upgrade/downgrade made no difference. I had previously replaced the 3 wires from the camera to wifi module.

Yesterday, I swapped the camera out for a brand new one (purchased from DDM of course) -- and I also reran the wires (not replaced, just carefully rerouted) from the camera to the wifi module. For the first time ever (I've had this since June), I had a perfect FPV flight, with virtually all telemetry (except range extender battery). I've had the Phantom over 2 months now, and the idea of flying via FPV was so "new" I couldn't trust what I saw! I did mostly line of sight flying, just due to glare on the screen, and the amount of trees I was near -- I just needed to be sure I could have a successful flight.

Bottom line -- I know it is expensive, and from my understanding the camera does not (or should not) effect the wifi signal -- that seems to have been my problem. I had replaced the wires (no change), the wifi module (only marginally better), the range extender (no change) and the camera/gimbal unit (complete success). I only flew one battery -- as I ran the other two down flying in different locations hoping it was a signal issue at my house.... but I feel that I now have a fully functioning phantom!

buddhacanooda said:
In all your mods did you change anything with the antennae? I wondered why there are two leading out of the wifi module. Does one specifically carry signal for the FPV and the other for the rest of the telemetry data (pure speculation on my part)?
I'm about 95% certain that is NOT the case. I would say a data-stream is data-stream and the dual antenna setup is simply a diversity kind of thing, so regardless which way your P2V(+) is facing (orientation agnostic) you will always get a signal.

If your speculation WAS correct, you would likely get good FPV while the P2V(+) was facing PORT and good telemetry while the P2V(+) was facing starboard (therefore lacking one or the other while in those orientations). . .

ATC,
Then why would the lack of streaming be a wifi/decoder problem? If you are able to send controls to the camera (up/down, take pic/video) and then view what's recorded on the SD card on the phone app then your wireless module must be working. If the video decoder chip has overheated as some speculate then why would you be able to decode the recorded video when playing back on the phone app? If you haven't streamed the file back to your phone's album then the files are still on the sd card and decoded by the board. Thoughts?

Is there any particular part of the ribbon cable responsible for FPV streaming? Is it in the largest of the three that has the black wrap section? I have an extra ribbon cable and will swap that out entirely to see if there is a change.

BC

ATC Drone Flyer said:
buddhacanooda said:
I'm about 95% certain that is NOT the case. I would say a data-stream is data-stream and the dual antenna setup is simply a diversity kind of thing, so regardless which way your P2V(+) is facing (orientation agnostic) you will always get a signal.

If your speculation WAS correct, you would likely get good FPV while the P2V(+) was facing PORT and good telemetry while the P2V(+) was facing starboard (therefore lacking one or the other while in those orientations). . .

buddhacanooda said:
ATC,
Then why would the lack of streaming be a wifi/decoder problem?
Well, I'm obviously not a DJI Engineer, so all of my comments both above and below are simply SWAG's (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses), but here goes:
First, let's break that down into two separate processes -
1.) Video & FPV
2.) Telemetry & Camera Remote Control

Telemetry & RC is the easy part, very few bits and bytes are required to update the digital values displayed on your DJI Phone App, or change the position of your camera. I'd guess in the grand scheme of things, if you compared the ratio of bandwidth consumed by Telemetry and Remote Control vs. FPV Video you are probably talking about less that 1%.
Streaming live Video over a 54Mbps (at best) Wi-Fi Channel on the other hand, is huge undertaking. The video needs to be processed, compressed, packet-ized, etc. before it can be transmitted via Wi-Fi. It consumes a significant number of processor (CPU) cycles to perform those functions. Consider this analogy -
Open a task manager on your PC, and view the CPU usage graph. Open a 100% pure text web page (if you can find one ;) ), and observe the minimal increase of CPU resources. Then, open a new tab go to YouTube and start watching a High Definition Movie Trailer. Notice a significant increase of your CPU utilization? See what I'm getting at here? Telemetry & Camera Remote Control is easy, streaming Video is hard, especially over a low bandwidth Wireless connection.

buddhacanooda said:
If you are able to send controls to the camera (up/down, take pic/video) and then view what's recorded on the SD card on the phone app then your wireless module must be working.
I agree. But at what capacity? 100%, 50%, or less perhaps?

buddhacanooda said:
If the video decoder chip has overheated as some speculate then why would you be able to decode the recorded video when playing back on the phone app?
Maybe because most people are looking at said playback when their Phantoms are only 10 feet away from their Smart Phone. Try that stunt again with your Phantom a thousand feet away. I'll bet your results will be significantly different. I would not be surprised if there is some sort of "Error Correction" algorithm at play here. Up close, this algorithm has no work to do because there are no errors (or very few). At distance, that puny little CPU inside your Wi-Fi module is just working its *** off, but the "Error Correction" algorithm pegs that CPU to 99% utilization and the first thing to go is your FPV Video.

buddhacanooda said:
If you haven't streamed the file back to your phone's album then the files are still on the sd card and decoded by the board. Thoughts?
Again, my only guess there would be relevant to the distance involved. Consider this - Wi-Fi's maximum data carrying potential decreases with distance (and signal strength). So if you start with 54Mbps at 10 feet away, you might be down to 40Mbps at 200 Feet, 33Mbps at 500 Feet, and 2 Mbps at a 1000 Feet.

buddhacanooda said:
Is there any particular part of the ribbon cable responsible for FPV streaming? Is it in the largest of the three that has the black wrap section? I have an extra ribbon cable and will swap that out entirely to see if there is a change.

BC
Sorry, I can't attempt to answer that question as I have successfully converted my P2V+ to a P2+GoPro+FPV rig, and none of those cable assemblies exist on my craft at this point. . .

So I purchased a wifi module from a trusted source (working unit pulled from a unit with bad motor). I did the following:

- updated board firmware to 3.06.
- replaced ribbon cable from wifi module to gimbal assembly
- put wifi module on board and put heatsink pad on exterior to help dissipate more heat
- tried separate antennae set
- using both ios 7 and android 4.4.2 apps with same result

** still able to get telemetry and camera controls. Able to stream pics/mov from sd-card. Is there another area I should be looking? Or should I assume that this wifi module is bad and order another module?

buddhacanooda said:
** still able to get telemetry and camera controls. Able to stream pics/mov from sd-card. Is there another area I should be looking? Or should I assume that this wifi module is bad and order another module?
Any chance your P2V+ is still under warranty? After all of that effort (and money) that you have put forth, I think I'd be looking at making a warranty claim at this point. . .

If not, what other choice do you have :?:

One more question: Do you get live FPV Video to your iDevice or Android EVER? As in "at close range".

Strange that the replacement modules mostly seem to work whereas the original ones fail? I think I might order a spare as I have experienced the problem a couple of times.

i've been having the exact same problems lately.. no crashes.

I suspected heat ,but couldn't determine where or why the issue was. Being in Hawaii, it gets hot outside during setup and calibration, adding additional heat to the craft.

2 Questions:

1) Has anyone that replaced their wifi module had any reoccurring problems since? I'd assume that the problem would continue unless DJI changed the wifi board components.

2) Has anyone seen these error messages before? This is how it started for me before going blank or freezing on an image. (the problem is still intermittent but becoming more consistent unfortunately)
file.php

file.php

file.php

oscar19 said:
I have been having sporadic issues with my fpv also. My question is will the above info on symptoms and fixes also be valid with a PV2 (not a +)?
Not likely. . .
There are quite a few differences between the P2V and +. The main ones being:
1.) P2V Wi-Fi circuitry is in the camera itself where the + is inside the Phantom
2.) Same with the antennas

Before mine flew back to China (P2V) I was having similar issues. I performed the camera / repeater Wi-Fi antenna mod, and the problems went away. After the antenna mod, I was able to get 2500+ feet of reliable telemetry and FPV Video. . .

Have you done any such modifications to your P2V?

Swapping the Wifi module with my good Phantom fixed the issue. The issue followed the bad Wifi module. Good thing I can return the one and already had problems with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20