HOW TO: Removing/Replacing your WiFi Module

Reaction score
I have a customer that is needing to replace a WiFi module in his P2V+ so I thought I would do a step by step with photos for future reference.

Tools needed:
2mm allen wrench
#0 Phillips screw driver
Hair dryer
Work mat
Replacement WiFi Module Link for purchase

UPDATE As more Phantom 2 Vision+'s are reaching customers something that has happened is that the video feed will be lost. If you still have telemetry info like altitude, distance, speed, battery voltage, etc. and if you are still able to take video and pictures but are missing the video feed there is a high chance that you need to replace your WiFi module. Fortunately this is very easy.

Start by removing the top shell of your Phantom by removing the three allen screws on each arm and the one small phillips head screw. It is best to have a work mat so that screws do not go bouncing away. Note that you can have a screw sucked into the motor from the magnets so use caution!
QTbscTm.jpg

Unplug the GPS receiver wire from the main circuit board
LGtbm7L.jpg

Here is the WiFi module
rRsOHdC.jpg

Disconnect the two plugs on the side by pinching down on the clip and then a slight pull. Remove the single phillips head screw on the side of the module. Take note of the capacitor directly behind the module, this is important to watch for later
aDWXubL.jpg

Plugs and screw removed
f7lCnYl.jpg

Carefully lift the WiFi module from the back to front. It is simply 2 sided taped onto the board. This is where heating it slightly with a hair dryer will help reduce the adhesion from the tape. Be careful to NOT damage the capacitor previously noted Remove the last ribbon cable from the rear of the module
f7lCnYl.jpg

Removed and shot of the tape
aFDFAF4.jpg

There are two antennas that are press-fit coaxial type. These will need a firm tug to release:
2tVGesl.jpg

One of the antennas (just for reference)
R6MwSh4.jpg

All removed!
jA0Y84m.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this. If you have any more requests for other "How-To's" let me know and I will see what I can do.

Very nice tutorial/process explanation. Why did the guy want to remove the wifi module anyway? Had it failed? And if so, how did he know it was the wifi module that caused the wifi failure?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
The pic of 'one of the antennas'... Is it the small square PCB on the side of the Phantom or the long PCB? Where's the other?
It is the squarish one on the side. The other is on the other side of the compartment.

slothead said:
Very nice tutorial/process explanation. Why did the guy want to remove the wifi module anyway? Had it failed? And if so, how did he know it was the wifi module that caused the wifi failure?

Good question that I should have addressed in the OP. The customer would connect fine to the phantom like normal, but after a few minutes of flying the video feed would be lost. Telemetry would still work, but the screen would be black. After letting the Phantom "cool down" inside for an hour or so, he could get the same process to repeat. Video works fine, then dead after a minute or two. Our rep at DJI stated that it was likely a bad Wifi module. We will be able to confirm this when the customer receives and installs the new module.

Thanks Steve,
If at all possible, please keep us advised as to the results. This is a valuable piece of info. which later may be used to diagnose similar issues. The results, if positive may then be requested to be placed as a sticky on the board as a possible solution.

Good question that I should have addressed in the OP. The customer would connect fine to the phantom like normal, but after a few minutes of flying the video feed would be lost. Telemetry would still work, but the screen would be black. After letting the Phantom "cool down" inside for an hour or so, he could get the same process to repeat. Video works fine, then dead after a minute or two. Our rep at DJI stated that it was likely a bad Wifi module. We will be able to confirm this when the customer receives and installs the new module.

I am the customer Steve is referring to. His explanation about my issues is correct. I had previously stated that reverting back to a previous version of the android app fixed the problem, but by that time the Wifi module had cooled down. Quite a lot of people have experienced this problem and I will be sure to post updates here once I have replaced and tested the new WiFi module. It will take some time as the module was shipped today (10 July) from DDM to Canada.

Black out FPV screen but still getting telemetry is a well known issue. I suspect this is due to a hardware video decoder chip (residing inside the Wifi module) overheated after streaming FPV for a few minutes. Some reported cases are no FPV all of a sudden after several flights, I suspect such decoder chip toasted after a few flights.

When I opened my P2V+ cover for heat test a few months ago, I found the Wifi module metal case is fairly hot after power on P2V+ for a few minutes. I bet that's a good sign since a lot of heat radiating out from the chips to metal case (as a big heatsink). I did not further open Wifi module, and unsure about how's or any heatsink inside the Wifi module.

I Found something weird while replacing the WiFi module. One of the small connector only has a single wire connected to it:
IIvS9aG.jpg

The one posted by Steve (first post, third picture) and the one in this video both have three wires.[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8zhPDEsE0[/youtube]

What I don't understand is why would it work intermitently? Why would it only stop when it's hot? I'm thinking I should replace this wire before doing any testing... Thoughts?

Reactions: err0r
Mine has only 1 wire too. It would lose fpv in wifi saturated area but otherwise is fine. I'm considering patching up the other 2 wires myself

I did 10 minutes of testing in the backyard and so far everything works except 30fps at the highest resolution (I get 1 frame every 10 seconds...). I'll do more testing at a longer range and report back.

Cayou99 you replace the cable with a 3-wire or replace the wifi transmitter?. I have the same problem with the video feed, black and white but everything else works fine. I have the transmitter with one wire (no 3). What is your advice?

Thank you

Sebastian said:
Cayou99 you replace the cable with a 3-wire or replace the wifi transmitter?. I have the same problem with the video feed, black and white but everything else works fine. I have the transmitter with one wire (no 3). What is your advice?

I used the cable with the single wire. What do you mean by "black and white"?

cayou99 said:
I did 10 minutes of testing in the backyard and so far everything works except 30fps at the highest resolution (I get 1 frame every 10 seconds...). I'll do more testing at a longer range and report back.

I just got another new vPlus less then 2 weeks ago and it is the same. No consistent video when set at 640x480 30fps.

Thanks for the guide!:) i had the same problem with my pv+ no video feed whatsoever but telemetry. Tried evrything (other phone,reset of softwear etc etc..) but nothing worked. Buyed a new wifi module from helipal and replaced it. And now it works:)
Mine pv+ have had 150 flights before the failure.I opned the old wifi module and i where a little worried about how tight and compact the circut boards are. I suspects that heat can be the reason for this failure. Added some pictures below from the failed wifimodule.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 3,780
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 4,211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 3,790
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 3,882
So far so good. Seems the WiFi module was the issue. I'll post again if I ever lose the video feed.

Off Topic: Removing/Replacing your WiFi Module

I'll apologize in advance, as this post is slightly "OFF TOPIC"

Situation in a nutshell. . .

1.) Had a P2V (not Plus+). On it's 100th flight, it flew back to Shenzhen, China (I call this the DJI Diamond Anniversary phenomenon ;) )
2.) I purchased a crashed P2V+ cheap on eBay (just aircraft, no controller, no WiFi repeater, no batteries, nothing)
3.) Fixed crashed P2V+
3a.) Repairs successful (so far). Flies great!

Question #1: Can the WiFi repeater from my old P2V be associated with the WiFi module in the P2V+?
Question #2: If YES, what is the procedure? Any links to previous HOWTO's would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I've just fixed my black screen of death by doing this - thanks for good info.
Some more pictures - may be helpful.

IMG_2313_2.jpg

Part Number

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

After working faultlessly since late April - probably about 40 flights total - when turned on a few days ago it had the classic no image on phone - but still had full telemetry and was able to take video and stills and view them after.

Time to fit - about an hour.
Trickiest part - levering the old one out.
The sticky pad holds it very firmly and it is jammed against the Naza and that capacitor, and plenty of cables close to it you do not want to accidentally gouge with a tool.

Rebinding: don't forget to tap the blue tick to confirm :oops:
Was having a mild panic when that did not work first time!

My options were take or send to nearest DJI fixer about 50 miles away, pay for labour if not the part (under warranty?) - or buy part and DIY for cost similar to a new battery.
Not much in it costwise, provided the job goes smoothly, but at a repair shop you might not get it back for two weeks and there is always the concern of rough treatment in transit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31