How-To remove your Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Assembly

Re: How-To remove you Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Assemby

Where does the washer come from in the last photo.

I removed the broken gimbal/camera by first gently prying the cables from the top of the gimbal, then snipping the retention pins and removing the rubber gimbal dampers.

The new gimbal/camera assembly comes with new rubber dampers and retention pins, but not with a new mounting plate. Since my mounting plate was slightly damaged, I had to remove that too and bend it back to straight first.

This quick video documents my experience in replacing the gimbal with a few pointers.

A couple of extra points:
1. With the gimbal assembly disconnected, the app would not work. My iPhone would get a "cannot join network" error.
2. I did NOT need to re bind the gimbal/camera in any way. Once I connected the gimbal and camera, the range extender connected and the app worked flawlessly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaN6H-vxQcI[/youtube]

JeffB said:
Hmmmmm. Well I have to destroy them to remove them, so for now, I will just keep them on. Gimbal still seems to work flawlessly - even with all 4 pins installed. I'll be the guinea pig & advise if there are any problems.
Thanks!

I've seen several recommendations to put LOOSE zip-ties on the other corners. Don't overtighten or you transfer vibration from drone to camera, but zip-ties will stop it dropping off in a crash.

Is there any way to remove safety disks wothout replacement?

I need to remove gimbal and fold legs to carry drone in small package.
If there is no other way, I make special pliers for that.

The wifi module is ontop, next to the NAZA unit.. you can see it if you take off lid/shell.. it has 2 antenna connections going out of it.

the camera has a linux system on it though... the ip is 192.168.1.10. It imagine its to run the camera as some of the drivers are for inbuilt camera system.. I forget what its called but easy to find out if you ssh in and look around.

The camera system talks to the phantom (wifi module) at 192.168.1.1 and the range extender on 192.168.1.2

Tails_Up said:
It's my impression that the gimbal assembly contains the Wi-Fi transmitter as well as the gimbal elements, so a 3rd party gimbal isn't a practical solution unless you're replacing the entire system. When you think of all involved, the replacement price isn't quite so outrageous. At least it's plug and play. I can't see DJI offering individual parts due to the complex assembly.

On a brighter note, it's possible that DJI may introduce an 'upgraded' gimbal assembly at some point - and we'll all be eager to buy a new one. But unlike the earlier Phantoms, on the Plus the DJI camera/gimbal is the only solution.

Anyone concerned that the wifi is unencrypted?

Android software works well to set a password on the SSID to the RE, but the hidden SSID is still in the plain.

If I take the camera and gimbal off is it OK to fly the Phantom 2 Vision Plus without the camera and gimbal?

It's my impression that the gimbal assembly contains the Wi-Fi transmitter as well as the gimbal elements, so a 3rd party gimbal isn't a practical solution unless you're replacing the entire system. When you think of all involved, the replacement price isn't quite so outrageous. At least it's plug and play. I can't see DJI offering individual parts due to the complex assembly.

On a brighter note, it's possible that DJI may introduce an 'upgraded' gimbal assembly at some point - and we'll all be eager to buy a new one. But unlike the earlier Phantoms, on the Plus the DJI camera/gimbal is the only solution.
No, the wifi is the silver box beside the orange NAZA controller inside the bird. I have seen a post which shows the video in & power connections.

Hmmmmm. Well I have to destroy them to remove them, so for now, I will just keep them on. Gimbal still seems to work flawlessly - even with all 4 pins installed. I'll be the guinea pig & advise if there are any problems.
Thanks!
You don't need to destroy them.
I've successfully removed mine without destruction.
just gently pry open the 4 tabs anti-drop disc with a flat small screwdriver.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj