How-To remove your Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Assembly

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I would try to contribute to this forum. We are expecting delivery of the P2V+ Camera Assemblies this week and have had numerous people asking how to remove and replace the camera assembly. Below is a step by step guide with photos on how to do this. If you have any more questions just ask.

• Use some diagonal cutters to "snip" the anti drop disc on the REAR
  • Snip off the tip of the FRONT anti drop pin
  • Gently remove the silicone dampeners from the camera assembly top.
  • Remove the three ribbon cable connectors. The small one on the side needs to have the little tab "pinched" for removal. The front two just need a gentle tug.
  • New anti drop pins/discs are in your spare parts bag. You will only need one of each

mTL9hXx.jpg

kqpxqVe.jpg

iZqDdPd.jpg

cjUENso.jpg

Re: How-To remove you Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Assemby

Thanks for the post.

I bent my gimbal slightly and have been going to take it off and gently bend back but I have been waiting for replacements to become available in case I break it. Luckily it's still functioning fine though I have to crop and tilt in post.

Thanks for the info, good to know just in case one get its gimbal FUBAR...

Also let's hope a third party replacement gimbal for the P2V+ may show-up in the future.

It's my impression that the gimbal assembly contains the Wi-Fi transmitter as well as the gimbal elements, so a 3rd party gimbal isn't a practical solution unless you're replacing the entire system. When you think of all involved, the replacement price isn't quite so outrageous. At least it's plug and play. I can't see DJI offering individual parts due to the complex assembly.

On a brighter note, it's possible that DJI may introduce an 'upgraded' gimbal assembly at some point - and we'll all be eager to buy a new one. But unlike the earlier Phantoms, on the Plus the DJI camera/gimbal is the only solution.

Am I crazy or does the gimbal only come with TWO anti-drop pins & discs at opposite corners? My nephew hard landed my Phantom and I thought that two of them might have popped off and disappeared. So, I went to my spare parts bag and added two pins & discs at opposite corners. Was a bit of a tight fit to get them on, but it seems to me that it makes a lot of sense to have all 4 corners supported instead of only two diagonal ones. Does anyone know why DJI only used two and is there any reason why I might want to remove the extra two that I added?
Thanks!

You're not crazy. The vision+ does only come with 2 drop pins installed and it's recommended in the instruction manual.
Why not use 4? Sounds like you can be the tester....hehe
You said it was a tight fit so my concern would be effecting the dampening as the purpose of the rubber grommets is to take away vibrations.

Hmmmmm. Well I have to destroy them to remove them, so for now, I will just keep them on. Gimbal still seems to work flawlessly - even with all 4 pins installed. I'll be the guinea pig & advise if there are any problems.
Thanks!

Thanks.... I will try that!

The anti-drop pins look like they are insurance only and don't take the weight of the gimbal unless something comes adrift.
If they did hold the gimbal they could pass vibration through to the camera.
Two should be quite enough insurance.

Can someone tell me the part number for the wire in this picture of the above instructions? It's the small wire that plugs into the gimbal assembly. While taking mine apart, I didn't squeeze the clip hard enough, and the wires popped out of the clip. Need to replace it, but don't have a clue where to find the right part #, or where to order it. :?

Attachments

• This wire.jpg
    This wire.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,792

Speaking of this, do you know off hand if it's possible to replace the Vision 2 +'s gimbal with the standard vision 2 GoPro gimbal?

I also have a Vision Plus in for repair after only 5 flights, had a hard landing on RTH mode coming straight down from 60m.

My question is... can the gimbal be turned off and the gimbal brace used to keep camera still while in flight, this way you can still have video
and telemetry until a fix or spare parts are available.

jesmo5 said:
Can someone tell me the part number for the wire in this picture of the above instructions? It's the small wire that plugs into the gimbal assembly. While taking mine apart, I didn't squeeze the clip hard enough, and the wires popped out of the clip. Need to replace it, but don't have a clue where to find the right part #, or where to order it. :?

Can you not squeeze them back in? I did with a P2V when the camera became detached. You can definitely do it if the wires aren't broken and the pins are still on the end.

CBS

The camera assembly only needs 2 anti-drop clips. The reason that I outlined to snip the disc on the one and the clip on the other is so that you only have to use 1 disc and 1 clip out of your spare 2 discs and 2 clips that you get so you could remove your camera assembly 2 times :idea: When you purchase the camera assembly you get 4 pins and 4 discs, and 6 new dampers.

jesmo5 said:

For Phantom 2V+ specific parts it is "Part8" P2V+ Cable Pack, MAP of $29.00. Unfortunately these did not ship with the camera assemblies earlier this week, but did get shipped shortly after in a following order and will be arriving next week. All of the ribbon cables that go from the main controller board to the camera assebly are included, as well as some others. Looking at my UPS tracking it looks like I will have them on Wednesday.

skylabz0rz said:
Speaking of this, do you know off hand if it's possible to replace the Vision 2 +'s gimbal with the standard vision 2 GoPro gimbal?

You cannot interchange the different gimbals and camera assemblies between the different Phantom models, meaning P2V Cameras can't be installed on a P2V+, ZH3-3D gimbals can't be installed on the P2V/P2V+ etc, When you purchase your Phantom 2 model you are stuck to that specific camera setup.

I also have a Vision Plus in for repair after only 5 flights, had a hard landing on RTH mode coming straight down from 60m.
My question is... can the gimbal be turned off and the gimbal brace used to keep camera still while in flight, this way you can still have video and telemetry until a fix or spare parts are available.
I would just suggest removing the camera assembly if you don't want to use the camera at all. No risk in damaging it while you are not using it and getting the hang of flying. Personally I think that every person who buys a Phantom or is interested in buying a Phantom should buy one of the Estes Proto Nano quadcopters and fly the crap out of it. It helps you to learn orientation of and maneuvering a multirotor and for $40 you can actually laugh when you fly it into the wall.

happydays said:
jesmo5 said:

Can you not squeeze them back in? I did with a P2V when the camera became detached. You can definitely do it if the wires aren't broken and the pins are still on the end.

CBS
happydays - this is exactly what i did! Thanks for the reply!

So anyone know what the 4 pin connector does? I started another thread but either my V2+ shipped with a wire tugged out or I did it myself.

Long story short I need to put all 4 wires back in that plug but cant quite tell the order from Steves picture above as the resolution once posted is not that good.

jesmo5 said:
happydays said:
jesmo5 said:

CBS
happydays - this is exactly what i did! Thanks for the reply!

Great stuff!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers