How to remove propellers?

Reaction score
So I just got the Phantom 3 pro and took it out for it's maiden flight (which was awesome) and now that I'm done I have no idea how to remove the propellers. I know you turn the black tipped ones counter clockwise to get them on (and the white tipped clockwise) and the propellers themselves have a little unlock symbol showing that you turn them the other way to get them off but i've tried turning each one for minutes at a time and none of them will come off.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Am i missing something like do i need to hold the motor still or something (the motor does spin when I spin the propellers)

Thanks for the help,

Oh, forgot to mention, I checked all the manuals and there is no mention of how to remove propellers anywhere, very strange they forgot to mention that at all anywhere.

Just in case you're not joking, yes hold the motor and spin off the prop.

Reactions: SCGENE
Thanks, I wasn't joking that seemed to do the trick. I just want to make sure I play by the book and remove them correctly. You never know when there's some weird procedure and next thing you know I've broke a motor or stripped the propellers so just wanted to make sure. Gave the motors a brief hold and then spun with the other hand and they came right off :). Thanks for the help; still find it very bizzare there's no mention of this in any manual nor how to use the clamp that came with it.

Reactions: Reed L
If they can only turn on one way, which way would they unscrew?
Please RTFM, several times... Hahaha
The Phantom 4 rotor blades are a whole other story. Hehe

RedHotPoker

Reactions: deltamike
I hope this is a joke. If not I see a prop flying off in OPs future or someone getting hurt. Please read all the manuals three times and watch all the videos you can before you fly again. Have an adult help you, or you are going to ruin your new toy.
Have fun and be safe.

Reactions: meissner58
Yes, do please avoid them Carbon-fiber reinforced rotor blades.

Maybe enjoy some SIM time too...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: deltamike
Thanks, I wasn't joking that seemed to do the trick. I just want to make sure I play by the book and remove them correctly. You never know when there's some weird procedure and next thing you know I've broke a motor or stripped the propellers so just wanted to make sure. Gave the motors a brief hold and then spun with the other hand and they came right off :). Thanks for the help; still find it very bizzare there's no mention of this in any manual nor how to use the clamp that came with it.
I hope you're holding the motor when you put the props on, and not just spinning them on until the motor starts to turn...recipe for disaster!

Reactions: Oso
I hope you're holding the motor when you put the props on, and not just spinning them on until the motor starts to turn...recipe for disaster!
+1 on what Rockydog said, if you don't want the props flying off and your P3P falling out of the sky, you need to apply pressure when you put the props on also. If you don't put them on hand tight by feeling them go on until they stop with pressure on your fingers, one will come off and down it will come. It said self tightening but in reality it means tighten them yourself to be safe :)

Thanks for adding that good reminder. For sure a recipe for disaster.

Overheard at the lost prop crash scene:
"It's not my fault. They said the props were self tightening so props can't spin off. It's DJI's fault. Someone needs to review my logs for me to prove its a warranty case. Hey, I think that's my battery over there. Has anyone seen my camera or my gimbal?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoo1701 and Reed L
I have collected info snippets from the forum. Here's the entry for the props:

Attach the propellers with silver/gray dots onto the motors with silver/gray axes and spin the propellers clockwise to secure them in place. Attach the propellers with black dots onto the motors with black axes and spin the propellers counter-clockwise to secure them in place. Be sure to tighten each propeller by hand.

After spinning the props on until they stop spinning, there is no need to tighten them any more than about 1/4 of a turn. Use a motor holder, if necessary.

Either hold the motor still and spin the prop, or hold the prop still and turn the motor.

When you first arm the Phantom 3 motors, yes thee motors definitely do spin up faster, in the initial start up. That would be to insure your rotor blades are indeed firmly seated on the motor shafts.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20