How to remove moiree from DJI cameras for broadcast use.

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a professional video editor for TV 2 in Norway.
My biggest issue with footage from a lot of DJI cameras is moiree. This includes Phantom (all models, not tested P4P) and Osmo.
Professional tv cameras have a low pass filter installed behind the lens and in front of the sensor that eliminates moiree, but most combined stills and video cameras can't have that because that would be useless for the high resolution stills camera part.
Even if the moiree is not always very visible on a computer screen, it might be very visible and annoying when seen on a television screen. I have even seen expensive Hollywood aerials with the dreaded moiree!

The trick to eliminate/reduce moiree can be to lower sharpness in the recording settings in the camera, but it will not always help.
The solution is to make a small blur between the TV lines (vertically).
First I tried using a blur effect built in to the editing programme and make a small vertical blur. This helped, but as I applied more vertical blur, before all the moiree was gone the picture had become too softened.
By coincidence I tried a Boris Continuum effect called Lens Blur, and that seemed too do the trick! This is a third party plugin available for most editing programmes.

I have tried this in Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X, and Quantel and the result were perfect!

The Lens Blur effect is available in Boris Continuum Complete package, or just the Blur and sharpening category if you don't have the whole package.

Here is what you have to do:

This is tested with a 25 frame rate. I guess 24/30 will do good also, but higher frame rates did not give the desired result. I read somewhere this is due to a limitation in the Phantom cameras ability to process the higher rates.)

For Avid Media Composer:
Project setting must be set to 24/25/30P frame rate (according to your footage) while the effect is rendered. When the effect is rendered the project can be switched back to 1080i50 or equivalent.

Apply the Lens Blur effect from Boris Continuum.

Set the following parameters:
Iris: 1,0
Scale X: 10
Scale Y: 50 (this value can be set higher or lower if needed)
Render.

Done! Moiree is gone.

-------

Final Cut Pro X / Quantel:

Do the same as described above for Media Composer, except the Project can be kept in Interlaced mode if that's your original project setting...

I have not tested this for Premiere Pro, so if someone has the possibility to do so, please report back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I can do that, but on a computer screen it might be difficult to see the difference if you don't see the moiree on the pc i the first place.
The moiree problem is best seen on a tv screen with true HD broadcast signal output.
Even YouTube (seen on a tv) softens the picture enough for the moiree to mostly disappear.
So this solution is interesting mostly for editors working with broadcast television.
I am on holiday now, but I can provide you before and after footage if you are able to watch it through an editing software with a breakout box that provides a "real" television signal to a tv (no desktop fullscreen overlay).[emoji16]

Last edited:
Toegema, don't go through all that trouble. I don't have the equipment required. I thought it might be more straight forward to see the problem.

Out of my league :)

Reactions: toegema
Hi all. I am a professional video editor for TV 2 in Norway.
My biggest issue with footage from a lot of DJI cameras is moiree. This includes Phantom (all models, not tested P4P) and Osmo.
Professional tv cameras have a low pass filter installed behind the lens and in front of the sensor that eliminates moiree, but most combined stills and video cameras can't have that because that would be useless for the high resolution stills camera part.
Even if the moiree is not always very visible on a computer screen, it might be very visible and annoying when seen on a television screen. I have even seen expensive Hollywood aerials with the dreaded moiree!

The trick to eliminate/reduce moiree can be to lower sharpness in the recording settings in the camera, but it will not always help.
The solution is to make a small blur between the TV lines (vertically).
First I tried using a blur effect built in to the editing programme and make a small vertical blur. This helped, but as I applied more vertical blur, before all the moiree was gone the picture had become too softened.
By coincidence I tried a Boris Continuum effect called Lens Blur, and that seemed too do the trick! This is a third party plugin available for most editing programmes.

I have tried this in Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X, and Quantel and the result were perfect!

The Lens Blur effect is available in Boris Continuum Complete package, or just the Blur and sharpening category if you don't have the whole package.

Here is what you have to do:

This is tested with a 25 frame rate. I guess 24/30 will do good also, but higher frame rates did not give the desired result. I read somewhere this is due to a limitation in the Phantom cameras ability to process the higher rates.)

For Avid Media Composer:
Project setting must be set to 24/25/30P frame rate (according to your footage) while the effect is rendered. When the effect is rendered the project can be switched back to 1080i50 or equivalent.

Apply the Lens Blur effect from Boris Continuum.

Set the following parameters:
Iris: 1,0
Scale X: 10
Scale Y: 50 (this value can be set higher or lower if needed)
Render.

Done! Moiree is gone.

-------

Final Cut Pro X / Quantel:

Do the same as described above for Media Composer, except the Project can be kept in Interlaced mode if that's your original project setting...

I have not tested this for Premiere Pro, so if someone has the possibility to do so, please report back.

I just signed up to this forum so I could say thank you for posting this about the lens blur effect to help with moire. I am usung a DJI spark and having trouble with really bad moire on video with brick walls and such. This definitely made a difference. I have Boris Continuum Complete. I noticed I have "BCC Fast Lens Blur" as the lens blur option and wondering if that is the same as "Lens Blur" effect you mentioned. It has the parameters you mentioned and several others like gama etc. It also has BCC Lens Blur OBS listed in the Obsolete section so I assume the Fast Lens Blur must be the newer version. I was wondering if you have any other tips on this such as other parameters to adjust or other effects to add that will help with moire. I have noticed a big difference to the good now that I have followed your steps but still have a bit moire. Thanks for sharing the info!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj