How to refocus your DJI FC 200 camera

FSJ Guy said:
gfredrone said:
At this point, it’s a simple matter of removing and replacing that plastic cover to adjust your focus. I adjusted mine about 6 times because I wanted to make sure I had the sharpest image possible.

I would leave the grey cover part with the rubber ring (front piece that surrounds the lens) off while testing. Once you find the sweet spot put the grey part back in the housing. This way you are not having to pull the complete housing apart each time while dialing it in.

Unless you put something to fix the lens in place, I found it was hard to re-install the camera and the front plate and not twist the lens. Have you discovered a way to reinstall the front ring without disturbing the lens? That would help immensely!

No, you are correct, the lense/sensor combo needed to be loose on the two screws where it attaches to get it to insert into the front plate correctly. Good point and my mistake.

Does anybody know what size lens would fit... ie. a replacement? and a place to purchase.
Thanks

Awesome. Now I can put on my 3 pound Canon 70-200 lens. Thanks.
39242_can70-200_obu1.jpg

Very nice improvement. Both of my first two cameras were worse than your "before" but only on one side - sharp (for this camera) on the other side. My dealer shipped me a third one today - if it's just as bad, I'll be trying this next. Would like to do the Ragecam upgrade (which also removes the fish-eye) but have decided I shouldn't encourage them because they charge too much.

nhoover said:
Very nice improvement. Both of my first two cameras were worse than your "before" but only on one side - sharp (for this camera) on the other side. My dealer shipped me a third one today - if it's just as bad, I'll be trying this next. Would like to do the Ragecam upgrade (which also removes the fish-eye) but have decided I shouldn't encourage them because they charge too much.

After seeing what is really inside the camera body, the Ragecam "modification" is VERY OVERPRICED. When I emailed them, I could not get a straight answer when I asked what the "35mm equivalent" focal length of their lens was. They just kept saying it was "35mm quality". That means NOTHING. I can show you some REALLY BAD 35mm camera and lenses. LOL! Someone who works with lenses and photography should certainly know what that means.Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Later this year I will try to verify if you can really use a "standard" M12 lens. If so, lens replacement will be less than $30. : D

RE your problem, I don't know how a decentered lens element (soft on one side) can be corrected by refocusing.

I found a way to allow for easier installation and removal of the front trim piece that surrounds the lens!

There are four tabs that sit in slots to hold the trim piece in place. Remove the left and right tab (as seen when looking straight at the camera. Leave the TOP and BOTTOM tabs intact.

Doing this allows you to slide the trim piece into place WITHOUT having to remove/loosen or otherwise disturb the lens! Go fly, take pictures, land, review pictures, adjust lens and lather, rinse. Repeat.

When you have your focus set, reinstall trim piece and bottom plastic cover and you're all set!

Scottrod said:
Excellent write up. Very detailed.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope this helps others get the most out of their P2V camera. I was sorely disappointed with the performance out of the box. Fortunately, it was solvable.

Just to clarify, this will be a futile attempt for me to correct my right side soft focus issue, I assume? Considering the left 2/3rds of the images are perfectly sharp, with only the right 1/3rd being out if focus, would be more of a mount alignment issue, rather then a general focus issue, yes?

mchad said:
Just to clarify, this will be a futile attempt for me to correct my right side soft focus issue, I assume? Considering the left 2/3rds of the images are perfectly sharp, with only the right 1/3rd being out if focus, would be more of a mount alignment issue, rather then a general focus issue, yes?

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. And if you try to adjust it and end up sending it back anyway, I can (rightfully) see DJI saying that you tampered with the camera and charge you for a replacement.

I have not heard of anyone successfully fixing the problem you are describing. But maybe you can? <shrug> I'd send it back if I were you. Wide angle optics can do some really weird things.

FSJ Guy said:
Scottrod said:
Excellent write up. Very detailed.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope this helps others get the most out of their P2V camera. I was sorely disappointed with the performance out of the box. Fortunately, it was solvable.

It's members like you that make me love this community. Your post is seriously helpful for those who have camera issues. I was lucky that my replacement camera/P2V has had some pretty great focus. After reading your write up I was tempted to tear into mine and see if I could make it even better but I decided to go by the old motto, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". :) I spoke with ragecams though and they were willing to send me their lens kit for me to install myself for around $270ish if I remember correctly. Still seems absurdly high.

Hi All,

So I tried refocusing my camera and I *think* I broke my ribbon cable.

The app connects but shows black screen and can't take photos or record video.

I ordered a 39-pin 3mm pitch ribbon cable and it fits, but if you look on the original ribbon cable, there are some wires missing. So it doesn't use all of the 39 connectors. Connecting it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I really don't want to pay $500 for a replacement just because of a ribbon cable!

mchad said:

I have this same issue. Anyone know the best way to proceed with getting a replacement? Call DJI NA?

If you are in the US then I would perhaps go via your dealer first as people have been quoting long wait times from the NA call centre. If your dealer won't play ball then get yourself on hold! If you're elsewhere then go via your dealer until the other service centres & help lines go live...

Thanks. I tried B&H, but they advised that since it was past 30 days that I would need to contact the manufacturer. Had a bit of a wait when calling DJI, but it was less than 30 minutes. I was asked to send an e-mail to the agent to open an RMA, and that I would need to send the camera back in to get a brand new replacement. They wanted me to send the whole unit in, but I said that's not gonna fly. :roll:

Just so I know that I'm not crazy, there is definitely a soft focus issue on the right side:

156qxko.png

Correct?

FSJ Guy said:
I found a way to allow for easier installation and removal of the front trim piece that surrounds the lens!

There are four tabs that sit in slots to hold the trim piece in place. Remove the left and right tab (as seen when looking straight at the camera. Leave the TOP and BOTTOM tabs intact.

Doing this allows you to slide the trim piece into place WITHOUT having to remove/loosen or otherwise disturb the lens! Go fly, take pictures, land, review pictures, adjust lens and lather, rinse. Repeat.

When you have your focus set, reinstall trim piece and bottom plastic cover and you're all set!
humm ... not so clear to me :roll:
can you please post a picture of these tab ?

Hi,

Thanks for FSJ Guy for detailed information about the focus adjustment, it worked for me and now the images are sharp after slight focus adjustment. Just to be careful with the ribbon cable and when removing the glue from the lens.

I got my P2V late Nov last year and while I did test shots I end up to conclusion that there must be something wrong on camera focus. My dealer (which is located at Germany and I'm located in northern side of Finland) got me RMA in order to send the P2V for the repair to Germany. The repair trip took 3~weeks and I got P2V back with camera replaced.
The quality was better than with the first camera but tests done during last days, I was convinced that the focus point is not as it should be. Therefore my options in my mind were to adjust the focus by diy or try to send the P2V back to service (which costs 60€ btw), so I'm glad that I was able to do the adjustment by myself.

I was first shocked that the quality of the images from the fc200 are so bad and I was just about the accept the situation, but when there was more P2V owners coming and sample shots shared. I started to think, that maybe there is a hope that in limitations of the the camera side there can be some quality achieved. This is somewhat hard to define because there isn't any actual reference available. I believe there are happy P2V owners at the moment using their gear without knowing that their camera is not really propelly adjusted, but they don't just realize or know that.

One thing is for sure, I'll never buy a equipment from DJI anymore eventhough everything else from P2V works perfectly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4