How to reduce the jerkiness of rotating my P3 while flying

Reaction score
When I take videos, everything seems pretty smooth except when I rotate the drone with the left joystick (mode 2). When I'm flying and recording a video it seems like it's very jerky when I rotate my P3 adv.

How can I reduce this jerkiness and make rotating a lot smoother?

Any tips or setting changes?

Thanks! :)

its almost impossible.. sure u can go slow, adjust the remotes deadzone, but no matter what it never looks smooth, just less jerky

Understanding three things may help you a bit:

1) yaw control is fundamentally different from pitch and roll control. At least on a phantom, pitch and roll are absolute aka attitude controls, where your stick position directly determines the attitude of the quad. For instance, full forward stick results in (say) 45 degree pitch angle. Yaw doesnt do that, if it did, your yaw control stick would result in a certain compass heading. Instead your yaw stick controls angular velocity, not absolute position. The more you move it, the faster the quad will rotate around its axis. The key lesson here is you need finer control input, you may want to increase expo settings for yaw etc, see also the post above.

2) FPV lag. There is ~250ms delay between the actual position of your quad and what you see on your screen. Doesnt sound like much but especially with yaw, it can be. Im not sure of the exact number, but lets say the P3 can yaw ~ 180 degree per second at full stick deflection. 250ms then corresponds to 45 degree difference in heading. So when you release the yaw stick, your actual heading will be 45 degree different than you thought. As a result, you will tend to overshoot and have to correct, and overcorrect which looks jerky.

3) gimbal lag. The P3 gimbal will try to smooth out sudden yaw movements by turning the camera against your yaw direction as long as you are yawing, and slowly coming back to center when you stop yawing. So the heading of the camera is not aligned with the heading of your quad or where the camera will end up looking. This makes problem #2 much worse.

Combination of these 3 makes it very difficult for me too to frame things when moving fast or when framing fast moving objects. The last time I was chasing an RC car, I ended up flying most of it line of sight to get best results.

Last edited:
msinger's tips will help, as will understanding what the Phantom is doing (as above). If you really want smooth, you want to automate it in Litchi or Autopilot. The problem is that oftimes you don't know you want it until you see it, hard to set up the programs (but not impossible).

I struggle with this all of the time since virtually all my flying is free form. It would be nice if somebody could rig a 'go slow' mode for the P3/4, especially for 4K.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.