How to Protect Black Ribbon Cable?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

New owner here. I'm wondering if anyone has devised a method in which to protect this exposed black ribbon cable? I'm wondering if covering it with something like Sugru will cause more harm than good, or if it would actually protect it from being broken? I'm not sure where the common breakage points are on this cable but it does require a bit of flexibility towards the camera.

i posted this a few weeks ago.

made out of clear plastic and weighs in at less than 1gram, stuck on with double sided tape.

Attachments

• DSCF3768.JPG
    DSCF3768.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 888
  • DSCF3769.JPG
    DSCF3769.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,022
From what I've seen it's more about the gimbal coming apart and the cable tearing. I haven't heard any cases of the cable catching on something and tearing.

Reactions: Mako79
You might consider my gimbal guard, which has a pad directly beneath the cable. It's just another layer of protection. A hard enough hit, or the right amount of force in the right spot certainly can and will damage the gimbal and the ribbon, regardless. Some people have carefully applied electrical tape as well.

sidebox said:
You might consider my gimbal guard, which has a pad directly beneath the cable. It's just another layer of protection. A hard enough hit, or the right amount of force in the right spot certainly can and will damage the gimbal and the ribbon, regardless. Some people have carefully applied electrical tape as well.

Awesome idea! I happen to have access to a 3D printer, so I printed my own based on this design here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:375683

I would have ordered if I didn't get screwed for shipping on Etsy just being across the border :p Being America's Hat isn't great for online shopping.

Not meaning to piss in anyone's Cheerios, but protecting the ribbon is really a waste of time. The reason the riibbon cable tears is because the gimbal comes apart at the weakest joint, which is the back motor that is press fit into the housing. The motor separates and at that point the only thing holding it together is the ribbon cable.

Jstic said:
Not meaning to piss in anyone's Cheerios, but protecting the ribbon is really a waste of time. The reason the riibbon cable tears is because the gimbal comes apart at the weakest joint, which is the back motor that is press fit into the housing. The motor separates and at that point the only thing holding it together is the ribbon cable.

Right, but having a guard underneath would protect anything from hitting and knocking the gimbal at the back (at least from anything hitting it from underneath).

I wonder if having another shield at the back or sides of the gimbal would also protect it or would that throw off the aerodynamics?

ilovecoffee said:
Jstic said:

Right, but having a guard underneath would protect anything from hitting and knocking the gimbal at the back (at least from anything hitting it from underneath).

I wonder if having another shield at the back or sides of the gimbal would also protect it or would that throw off the aerodynamics?

I'm working on a side/back set of guards. I have had two test revisions so far. I think my next revision will be solid enough to release.

Would a little preventative maintenance such as using green penetrating Loctite on the rear motor on the outside of the housing help to hold things together?

Hi there, and welcome to the world of defying gravity. I have attached 3 images of the things I added to protect the gimbal and the black cables. I hope they make sense when you see them so view them 1-3. Ps. I use a Phantom 2 vision plus v3.

Regards Ian.

Gimbal.01.jpeg
Gimbal.02.jpg
Gimbal.03.jpeg

From what I've seen it's more about the gimbal coming apart and the cable tearing. I haven't heard any cases of the cable catching on something and tearing.
+1.

This is all you need. You just need it to stop the camera from popping off the roll motor on a heavy landing.

Though its a P3A pictured, the same principals applies..
I used 0.55 aluminium and double sided tape.
20150511_180957.jpg

Guday mate, (as you can tell I'm not fluent in Aussie-speak, and I should be because I have a cousin over there) Anyway....your idea looks great and will do the same job as my store-bought protector. You take care and happy safe flying. Regards Ian.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31