How to prepare for trip to different country

Reaction score
I saw this post (below) on the DJI forum this morning and it got me wondering about the following:
I am going on a trip to Greenland in August- I live in the USA. I need to know EXACTLY what I will need to do to have full control over my P4P while I am out on a boat in a bay with no internet connection whatsoever. I read the problems the guy below had and I DO NOT want this to happen to me,
Can you anyone give me suggestions on how to prepare for a trip away from all Internet and land so that I do not have any problems that could have been avoided (unknown problems are expected) This trip is the reason I bought my drone and I would like to have it fully functioning. I don't plan to do the very latest firmware update because of all the reported problems, but if a new rev comes out before August, I will consider upgrading,

And what sort of backup files or cables should I bring? What files should I load on the MicroSD card in case I need to do a local backup of sone kind? How can I avoid any restrictions of No Fly Zone in the new area?
Love to get a detailed and complete summary of everything someone needs to know when taking their drone to a new country for the very first time, at least form the experience of other people (should be in DJI FAQ, but of course that is not going to happen).
Thanks very much

(see below from a different user - no one at DJI has answered him yet)
hello crew,
oh boy i am angry now! just arrived thailand kosamui island yesterday for a 1 week drone trip. made all updates, planned this for months, spend a ton of money. arrived yesterday night and made one short flight to ensure everything is working fine. i fly for 5 minutes and everything was great.
spend an hour to drive to a nice location. standing here on amazing beach and cant fly...

START THE P4 AS USUAL AND THEN SEE: "AIRCAFT LOCKED. UPDATE TO LATEST VERSION.

WHAT THE HELL DJI!!! are you guys loosing your mind now?!
NO INTERNET HERE! and if, i need login with password and account but impossible because the rubish build in screen dont let me do that.

i tried to log in 4 different wifi spots now and everytime it say:
DOWNLOAD ERROR CHECK YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION! yeah very funny DJI.
last week we discussed about the problem that you MUST NOT FORCE CUSTOMER TO UPDATE. and you said:"its fine you can ignore and just fly"
and now? i swear i saw this s*** coming before i start my travel. i KNEW DJI WILL SCREW THIS UP AGAIN!

and now we have it. i try to calm down and just make the update but can not so i am loosing it here. i al so incredible angry for DJI.

HOW TO FIX THIS?
-no computer here
-the wifi spots i log in say it cant use to make latest update

DJI TEAM HELP ME NOW

I can't comment on the story you posted, but it looks like something that could be easily resolved.
To prepare for a trip (which I have done several times) I ensure my firmware and apps (I have both iPad air and iPhone) are up to date the day before. Power up and check all settings, ensure no problems.
I pack all drone stuff in hand luggage (my drone bag is the right size for most airline carry on restrictions). Lipos must not be packed in hold baggage. I put each lipo in a clear sandwich bag (not really necessary but just in case there's any concern over shorts). I carry 2 spare SD cards in my wallet, plus the one in the Phantom. All pre formatted and tested. A couple of cables for connecting the device and radio, charger, plug adapter, spare props.
As far as kit, that's about it. I have enough SD card capacity to not worry about downloading pics/vids til after the trip.

As for avoiding NFZs - just don't. Pre plan, check those NFZs before you go. You don't really want to test foreign law enforcement, they might not be as friendly as you'd like. You'll also want to check the local laws re altitude, distance, registration etc. For example, I live in UK where we don't (yet) need to redister. However, I occassionally fly in Ireland, so I am registered with IAA and have a IAA sticker.

For a start on Greenlands laws: Droneregler.dk

Thanks much - good stuff. Hope there will be an update before I leave but things are working fine now. I just don't want to run into any necessary log in issues while out on the ship where there is no internet. I remember seeing something about having to log in to fly the first time with the new update - just not a lot of information from DJI about what to expect, and on the other hand, lots of reported problems. I am also curious what files to put on the SD card in case some sort of update is requested - the guy was looking for that info as well..
Anyway, thanks for the info.

As long as you log in before leaving, you only need to do it once, you'll be fine.
I missed the bit about being on a boat - is it a small boat or ship? You'll want to avoid taking off from metal - it can mess up the compass - and a lot of cruise lines don't allow drones.

As for updates, make sure your phone or tablet doesn't auto update apps and you'll have no surprises.

Log in before even leaving on the trip? From home? I have logged in to activate (just got the drone last week). But do you mean right before I get on the ship? It's actually a 19th century schooner, so I assume it is mostly wood (?).
But when/where would I need to do the log in that would cover me for the next two weeks without problems (at least, that problem)

Yes, log in before leaving home. Since you are already logged in it shouldn't be necessary to log in again, unless the app updates and logs you out in the process.

"Since you are already logged in it shouldn't be necessary to log in again, unless the app updates and logs you out in the process."
Ya, well that is the sort of thing I need to avoid, cause I will have no internet access. Sounds like the very thing happened to the OP. But if there is no Inet, then maybe it won't update..,,.

I am going on a trip to Greenland in August- I live in the USA.
I need to know EXACTLY what I will need to do to have full control over my P4P while I am out on a boat in a bay with no internet connection whatsoever
You shouldn't have any more issues than you would flying at home ....
EXCEPT ...
There can be very severe compass issues in polar regions - enough to make flight very difficult (or worse).
The closer you are to the north magnetic pole, the worse the issues are.
The far northwest of Greenland is about as close as you can get on land to the NMP.
You may also have reduced GPS cover in high latitudes.
Before flying from a boat, you need to practice and be familiar with everything you will be doing.
Out at sea is not the place to start learning hand catching, resetting home point etc.
If the boat is steel, do not launch from the deck or any steel surface. You would have to hand launch as well from well above deck level.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
Never thought of the compass issues - we will be in the southeast, so maybe that is less of a concern. But I got the drone this week so I could spend dozens of hours practicing. It's all photo for me, but don't even plan to deal with the camera until another few hours of practice.
Thanks again.

You shouldn't have any more issues than you would flying at home ....
EXCEPT ...
There can be very severe compass issues in polar regions - enough to make flight very difficult (or worse).
The closer you are to the north magnetic pole, the worse the issues are.
The far northwest of Greenland is about as close as you can get on land to the NMP.
You may also have reduced GPS cover in high latitudes.
Before flying from a boat, you need to practice and be familiar with everything you will be doing.
Out at sea is not the place to start learning hand catching, resetting home point etc.
If the boat is steel, do not launch from the deck or any steel surface. You would have to hand launch as well from well above deck level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers