How to practice to become an expert pilot

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows any exercises to become an better pilot.

I have heard of figure 8's but don't really understand?

Pick a subject that is stationary. Like a monument (use a tall step ladder with the platform on top)

Practice circling with the front kept facing the platform on the ladder (as in staying on a subject) and learn to rise and drop slowly as you rotate around the object.

A step ladder with platform also makes for a nice landing pad for precise landings on a spot.

Practice rising approaches, and rising fades back and up. Practice passes that rise and sweeps as the front yaws at the object.

Sounds easy... you will find out how hard very quickly it actually is.

Fly at night. Get use to the orientation of the UAV with just the lights. Work in an open field no trees. Get yourself three camp lights, set one on the ground, one on a t.v. tray and one on a ladder. Space them aprox 10 feet apart. Give yourself plenty of distance from the lights, 50ft of more. Learn to navigate around them and over them. Once you are proficient then move to day time using the FPV. You will find that flying at night will reduce the fear of flying as you can not see the surroundings, but only the UAV.

if you can not see the tree you are not afraid of the tree. Lose the fear.

Hiway said:
Pick a subject that is stationary. Like a monument (use a tall step ladder with the platform on top)

Practice circling with the front kept facing the platform on the ladder (as in staying on a subject) and learn to rise and drop slowly as you rotate around the object.

A step ladder with platform also makes for a nice landing pad for precise landings on a spot.

Practice rising approaches, and rising fades back and up. Practice passes that rise and sweeps as the front yaws at the object.

Sounds easy... you will find out how hard very quickly it actually is.
Excellent post - i have now masterted the rotations but like the idea of those rising approaches and rising fades back.
Thanks for posting :)

BobUnplugged said:
BobUnplugged said:
It's easy.

Step 1. Fly a lot.
Step 2. Fly a lot more.

And read in between flights.

So much simple truth to that. I am waiting for milder temps and better weather- so I am flying indoors with micro quads. They are not a true representation of the Phantom, but the fundamentals are the same.

A major reason I was so hot to get a good radio is so I can tweak some presets for filming and govern the gains- I figure on having a couple of profiles for various scenarios... super slow and steady and full bore with little sensitivity to the yaw for leading shots of moving objects.

I practice with dogs and cats, but they are unpredictable in which direction they will take when on the run. ( I am kidding people... no nasty grams from PETA ok?) I do practice with neighborhood kids on scooters and bicycles... at least when the weather is good. If it were not so **** windy, I could probably do some awesome snow plow coverage as that is the only **** moving object outside my window this winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers