HOW-TO: Phantom 2 Vision+ 5.8Ghz Stage 3 Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi All,

As there's been lots of requests for a tutorial on how to replace the bird side 5.8Ghz antennas (I myself wanted one), so I decided to dive in and figure out how to remove it myself and take lots of pictures on the way. The result is a video slideshow that I hope will be useful for other antenna modding enthusiasts like me!

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEsdj2SaMw

Embedded:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEsdj2SaMw[/youtube]

The credit for the re-soldering tip goes to rrmccab who came up with the excellent idea here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26161

Re: How-to/Tutorial: Phantom 2 Vision+ 5.8Ghz Stage 3 Upgrad

Thanks for sharing allemtura. I liked this presentation. I'm hoping that I won't need the jack resoldering instruction part, but it's good to have! I'm wondering (since I have seen discussion about not being able to get to a screw) that there may differences between birds or between continents, but I'll find that out.

Thanks again,

Thank you Tom!

When everything is fastened down, the nearest antenna board screw is definitely hidden under a corner of the main board, but once the two screws that hold the little daughter board are removed, I was surprised to see that the main board could be moved a little bit. Until I realised that, I was preparing for the daunting task of taking the whole board off, including ESC and motors! :)

I would have done a video of the transmitter mod, but that's been pretty well covered in other vids, so thought it worth doing this as I couldn't find any Vision+ specific tutorials out there.

allemtura said:
Hi All,

As there's been lots of requests for a tutorial on how to replace the bird side 5.8Ghz antennas (I myself wanted one), so I decided to dive in and figure out how to remove it myself and take lots of pictures on the way. The result is a video slideshow that I hope will be useful for other antenna modding enthusiasts like me!

Oh yes, I like your post a lot. I'm going to have to do this myself very soon and this tutorial will help enormously.

Thanks for sharing, Allemtura.

allemtura said:
Hi All,

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEsdj2SaMw

Embedded:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEsdj2SaMw[/youtube]

The credit for the re-soldering tip goes to rrmccab who came up with the excellent idea here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26161

Also the hardest part of this mod is getting the black glue of death off. You can buy them already modified (no antennas) here on ebay... Comes with the pigtails to! Cheers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221553694792?ss ... 1555.l2649

smaugnaut said:
Also the hardest part of this mod is getting the black glue of death off. You can buy them already modified (no antennas) here on ebay... Comes with the pigtails to! Cheers!

It's great that you're able to offer these boards ready to go, it's certainly a handy fall back if things really do go bad!

For those in the UK though, it may be worth buying a new antenna board for £25 because I reckon I would have done better with my second attempt (the broken U.FL Jack was my first go, the second intact one was done after reading the tips others had mentioned). :) Also the above ebay listing doesn't ship to the UK unfortunately.

allemtura said:
smaugnaut said:

It's great that you're able to offer these boards ready to go, it's certainly a handy fall back if things really do go bad!

For those in the UK though, it may be worth buying a new antenna board for £25 because I reckon I would have done better with my second attempt (the broken U.FL Jack was my first go, the second intact one was done after reading the tips others had mentioned). :) Also the above ebay listing doesn't ship to the UK unfortunately.

That listing now happily ships to our friends across the pond in the UK and our neighbors to the north in Canada! Cheers! :)

For my two cents on installing the receiver, i found it very easy to do by unscrewing the screws that hold the main board on. You dont have to take it out or unplug anything other than what is mentioned in the video. Its just give you a little more room to manipulate the old receiver out and the new one in.

smaugnaut said:
That listing now happily ships to our friends across the pond in the UK and our neighbors to the north in Canada! Cheers! :)

Good to know, Smaug, in case I banjax my board :lol:

itchybeard said:
smaugnaut said:

Good to know, Smaug, in case I banjax my board :lol:

I wish you luck buddy. be patient and youll get it no problem :D

smaugnaut said:
For my two cents on installing the receiver, i found it very easy to do by unscrewing the screws that hold the main board on. You dont have to take it out or unplug anything other than what is mentioned in the video. Its just give you a little more room to manipulate the old receiver out and the new one in.
I certainly looked into the possibility of doing that as it would have indeed been easier, but the trouble is on the P2V+ one of the main board screws is under the wifi module, and I didn't want to unstick it from the board if I could help it in case the module didn't stick back down as well as before. Then again it might have been easy to do that but i'll never know now :)

The wifi module is secured with 3M tape, the same tape used to keep the emblems on your vehicles. It can be removed and reused several times over. Be very careful removing it the first time, you'll think you're about to break something!

allemtura said:
smaugnaut said:
I certainly looked into the possibility of doing that as it would have indeed been easier, but the trouble is on the P2V+ one of the main board screws is under the wifi module, and I didn't want to unstick it from the board if I could help it in case the module didn't stick back down as well as before. Then again it might have been easy to do that but i'll never know now :)

Thats strange becuase i didnt have a screw under the wifi module. I can see how that would be a problem but that screw isnt there on mine :/

Hmm, I'm not so sure now! :)

Can someone who is planning on doing this mod check for me please? As seen in the photo below, I thought the screw for this mounting bracket was under the wifi module, but more than likely I just missed it...

Unless you mean the screw was just missing? In that case nice one, it probably explains why the main board could be moved a little bit!

Attachments

• IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 599

allemtura said:
Hmm, I'm not so sure now! :)

Can someone who is planning on doing this mod check for me please? As seen in the photo below, I thought the screw for this mounting bracket was under the wifi module, but more than likely I just missed it...

Unless you mean the screw was just missing? In that case nice one, it probably explains why the main board could be moved a little bit!

I dont know now but I didnt have any problem with moving it around. I have to get in there this weekend because i want to rearrange my antennae. Ill check it while im in there.

Maybe I wasn't going crazy after all! :)

I've just noticed on another photo I took that there's something that very suspiciously looks like a screw under the wifi module... In fact I'm quite sure it is, so I'm going to remove my overlays from the video and go back to the original instructions as it seems some vision plus's do have this screw in place. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 534

Hello guys, this is Tony from fpvlr.com
you are right, some versions of phantom vision + have a screw far back.
I found I could dislodge the main board on top and push it way to the back, while pulling on the side of the phantom plastic shell with my thumb and exposing the screw for removal, but it needs 2 people to do this.
All visible screws need to be removed even the one on the black plastic leg holding the main board all the way at the back.

The other way is by removing the flight controller and removing the last screw holding the main board, than everything comes off easily but then you have to put double sided tape for gyos under the flight controller again.

Tony.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl