HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

Nice guide and I do not dispute any of it as it all makes logical sense. I do wonder how much of it is really necessary.

I fly with an iPad Air (1st version)
I regularly leave 4-5 apps on
I never turn on airplane mode
I never restart before flying
I leave background refresh on
I've never turned in hardware decode (not saying this is better but my lag is negligible so my logic is, if it ain't broke don't fix it)

It's the cellular model and I have flown both when the map is downloaded from GPS and near my house where it's downloaded via wifi.

I've never had the app crash (I did have it loose video signal when it claimed full bars a couple of times but both were with a perticular app version and it's not happened since updating which makes me think that was a software bug). I've never had a "fly-away" or lost control, I've not experienced shortened range (though I'm not regularly pushing it to the limit)

Now this MAY be luck, and I MAY come crawling back with my tail between my legs later but what I'm trying to say is your P3 is not going to decide to hurtle towards a bunch of nuns while spontaneously bursting into flames and opening a worm-hole to hell if you do not follow all this every flight. At the end of the day none of this is mentioned in the manual and (you would like to assume) safety is DJI's top priority (even if it's because it affects their profit rather than for moral reasons)

Stop stressing, use comon sense, JUST FLY
No stressing-- some of the guys just have to make the best out of some bad conditions. Much of IOS 2 and Air 2 problems are fraught with the multiple processing causing too much heat which causes many of these issues and especially if you live in the Southern and Western US where daytime temps exceed 100 degrees. When this happens-- yes many of these suggestions work very well. Especially when your daughter calls on the IPad and wants to Facetime when you flying the Phantom. So in this case, one size does not fit all.:D

Reactions: John Archer
Because the Phantom does not rely on your devices GPS. It uses its own internal GPS to determine location.
Your TX (Remote) also has its own GPS receiver built into it.
Any GPS in your tablet is surplus to requirements if running the DJI Go app.

The exact opposite of that.

Because the Phantom does rely on your devices GPS. It doesn't have its own internal GPS to determine location.
Your TX (Remote) does not have its own GPS receiver built into it.
The GPS in your tablet is required if running the DJI Go app

Reactions: Oso
No stressing-- some of the guys just have to make the best out of some bad conditions. Much of IOS 2 and Air 2 problems are fraught with the multiple processing causing too much heat which causes many of these issues and especially if you live in the Southern and Western US where daytime temps exceed 100 degrees. When this happens-- yes many of these suggestions work very well. Especially when your daughter calls on the IPad and wants to Facetime when you flying the Phantom. So in this case, one size does not fit all.:D

Lol, again not disputing it, just for newbies I'd suggest you try IF you have problems rather than adding all this to your pre-flight checks.

Asking as a question NOT STATING AS FACT but if temp is the problem would it not be better to leave hardware decode off? My untested theory thinks this would mean the CPU is doing Less, so generates less heat, so is less likely to throttle back which (again theory) is when things could go wrong?

Reactions: John Archer
Lol, again not disputing it, just for newbies I'd suggest you try IF you have problems rather than adding all this to your pre-flight checks.

Asking as a question NOT STATING AS FACT but if temp is the problem would it not be better to leave hardware decode off? My untested theory thinks this would mean the CPU is doing Less, so generates less heat, so is less likely to throttle back which (again theory) is when things could go wrong?

To each his own-- I can assure you that @msinger is not a Newbie and he provides a lot of good information regarding the P 3. So to sit here and question his reasoning for posting this information "(LOL)"? is completely unnecessary IMHO.
Cheers and have a better day:)

Because the Phantom does rely on your devices GPS. It doesn't have its own internal GPS to determine location.
Thanks for correcting Chris. I thought for a second that I was in an alternate universe when I read that totally incorrect post.

Reactions: JoBe

The hardware in question with the hardware decode option is a separate GPU and not the main CPU. Enabled means that some of the work required by the CPU is picked up by the GPU. Disabled means that all of the work is done with the CPU. Unless of course I have not understood it correctly all of this time, but I think I got it right.

Reactions: JoBe
To each his own-- I can assure you that @msinger is not a Newbie and he provides a lot of good information regarding the P 3. So to sit here and question his reasoning for posting this information "(LOL)"? is completely unnecessary IMHO.
Cheers and have a better day:)

The "LOL" was in response to your daughter face timing you while you were flying. Nothing more sinister than that. P

No need to get uber defensive, I just wanted to share my experience which is also based on fact, not like I'm making stuff up, just offering alternative view points.

Not sure if intensional or not but you twisted my words there. I did not call msinger a newbie, my point was a lot of new flyers come to this site and I didn't want them thinking they HAD to follow this or all would end with disaster. IF anyone is experiencing problems however (particularly with heat or lag) this seems a great list to follow.

The hardware in question with the hardware decode option is a separate GPU and not the main CPU. Enabled means that some of the work required by the CPU is picked up by the GPU. Disabled means that all of the work is done with the CPU. Unless of course I have not understood it correctly all of this time, but I think I got it right.

That makes 100% sense. I think it's actually one chip on IOS devices though, but it follows that it could be more efficient being calculated as a graphic rather than software and so generate less heat.
I may stay with it off for my iPad however as when looking at my A7 chip compared to the newer A8 or A9's the CPU power has made a smaller jump than the graphics power.

Unless I am interpreting your post incorrectly are you saying.... The family of Phantom thus far 1,2 & now 3 (various models) do not have a UBlox dedicated GPS receiver in them, is that what you are saying?
And what about if your tablet does not have GPS internally, does that make the Phantom redundant as far as knowing where it is?
If we take your theory could you explain to me how, if the rf link between the ac and the tx is severed, the Phantom manages to initiate RTH and find its way back to its Home point. Or further, what happens when you turn your transmitter off? If the Phantom didn't have an internal GPS/Glonass RX it would be blind as far as its positioning goes!
However, you are correct in the Phantom family of remotes do not have GPS built into them like the Inspire - My mistake on that one.
If you read the manual for the P3, page 8 - the diagram will clearly show where the GPS antenna is located (where it has been for all the previous models of Phantom). If I have mis-construdelfied :confused:your post then apologies,
I've clearly spent far too long over on the Inspire forums !

Last edited:
Reactions: PunaPhantom
Thanks for correcting Chris. I thought for a second that I was in an alternate universe when I read that totally incorrect post.
Well maybe should you ever need to replace your P3 GPS module you might need to know where to source one from
DJI Phantom 3 Gps Module Part 1 - Quadcopters.co.uk

Or maybe you can try here Build Your Own Drone DJI Phantom 3 GPS Module Part 1

Good old Amazon http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-P...qid=1444400076&sr=8-10&keywords=phantom+3+gps

Or as crazy as this may sound, DJI sell it as a spare part Buy Phantom 3 - GPS Module (Sta) | DJI Store

But I only scribe totally incorrect posts so ignore me......

Last edited:
Only if you're using an Inspire remote. Otherwise it depends on your device for setting dynamic home points.
Correct sorry - Ive spent too much time with the Inspire :)
All Phantoms have their own internal GPS/Glonass RX though - would be pretty pointless if they didn't :p

Reactions: bbfpv
Well maybe should you ever need to replace your P3 GPS module you might need to know where to source one from
DJI Phantom 3 Gps Module Part 1 - Quadcopters.co.uk

Or maybe you can try here Build Your Own Drone DJI Phantom 3 GPS Module Part 1

Good old Amazon http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-P...qid=1444400076&sr=8-10&keywords=phantom+3+gps

Or as crazy as this may sound, DJI sell it as a spare part Buy Phantom 3 - GPS Module (Sta) | DJI Store

But I only scribe totally incorrect posts so ignore me......
Wow, it sounds like you actually believe this, so let me be as clear as possible so you don't confuse new pilots. The P3 remote controller (RC) does NOT have built in GPS. The P3 aircraft itself DOES have built in GPS.

Wow, it sounds like you actually believe this, so let me be as clear as possible so you don't confuse new pilots. The P3 remote controller (RC) does NOT have built in GPS. The P3 aircraft itself DOES have built in GPS.
Correct

Nice. Glad you realized your mistake and stepped up to admit it. We appreciate that very much and wish more people would do so. Cheers!

Nice. Glad you realized your mistake and stepped up to admit it. We appreciate that very much and wish more people would do so. Cheers!
I think the confusion stemmed from Chris P Ducks interpretation of my original post where he appeared to be saying that I am wrong in advising there is GPS internally within the Phantom (which of course there is and always has been). My mistake was mentioning a GPS RX in the R/C which the Phantom doesn't have. It all went down hill from there :p
Like I said, I've spent too long with the Inspire and take things for granted - apologies for confusing everyone!

I think the confusion stemmed from Chris P Ducks interpretation of my original post where he appeared to be saying that I am wrong in advising there is GPS internally within the Phantom (which of course there is and always has been). My mistake was mentioning a GPS RX in the R/C which the Phantom doesn't have. It all went down hill from there :p
Like I said, I've spent too long with the Inspire and take things for granted - apologies for confusing everyone!
Lol, yeah maybe me making things worse by trying to be clever.

Too be clear to anyone reading we are both agreed there is GPS in the bird, there is not in the remote (unless it's an inspire remote but even then I'm not sure if the P3 would know it was available to ask for it)

Reactions: The Editor
Lol, yeah maybe me making things worse by trying to be clever.

Too be clear to anyone reading we are both agreed there is GPS in the bird, there is not in the remote (unless it's an inspire remote but even then I'm not sure if the P3 would know it was available to ask for it)
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Reactions: bobmyers
Reactions: bobmyers
Nice guide and I do not dispute any of it as it all makes logical sense. I do wonder how much of it is really necessary.

I fly with an iPad Air (1st version)
I regularly leave 4-5 apps on
I never turn on airplane mode
I never restart before flying
I leave background refresh on
I've never turned in hardware decode (not saying this is better but my lag is negligible so my logic is, if it ain't broke don't fix it)

It's the cellular model and I have flown both when the map is downloaded from GPS and near my house where it's downloaded via wifi.

I've never had the app crash (I did have it loose video signal when it claimed full bars a couple of times but both were with a perticular app version and it's not happened since updating which makes me think that was a software bug). I've never had a "fly-away" or lost control, I've not experienced shortened range (though I'm not regularly pushing it to the limit)

Now this MAY be luck, and I MAY come crawling back with my tail between my legs later but what I'm trying to say is your P3 is not going to decide to hurtle towards a bunch of nuns while spontaneously bursting into flames and opening a worm-hole to hell if you do not follow all this every flight. At the end of the day none of this is mentioned in the manual and (you would like to assume) safety is DJI's top priority (even if it's because it affects their profit rather than for moral reasons)

Stop stressing, use comon sense, JUST FLY

I was having trouble with wormholes to hell opening up all the time and way before I bought my P3A. I hope this thing doesn't attract nuns.

Reactions: Chris P Duck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic