How to operate 360 degree circle fly ?

AAC

Reaction score
I remember reading posts about PV2+ 360 degree circle fly operation. It seems very simple, just hold right stick right in Course Lock and it could fly around pilot in fixed diameter.
I'm not sure my memory is correct. Any PV2+ pilot can share his/her experience with me ?

Can be done.

I think its referred to point of interest (POI) flying.
Need to have IOC + NAZA M enabled (check the IOC box in the Phantom assist).
Need to be greater than 10 meters from the home point to enable IOC Home lock.
Need to be on the Yaw stick at all times to capture the POI.
And finally if make sure you have RTH +100mteres enabled or keep it in line of sight. If your phantom goes behind a large structure, it will lose the transmitter signal. If RTH is activated, you want it to go up and back.

And learn about 5xtoggle of the left IOC switch to re/set a new point of interest.
pos 1-2 x 5 = new direction course lock
pos 2-3 x 5 = new home lock
wait for rapid green flashes on the phantom.
you need to do this a few times on the firmwares 3.+

You can use home lock not course lock,
The smallest possible circle is rather large.
You still need to manually sync a very slow yaw against the sideways movement to keep the camera pointing inwards.
It helps to remember you do literally move the two sticks in opposite directions.

There is no real advantage to using home lock though, and if you get within 10 metres it will revert to course lock and behave in a different way. You are just as well leaving it in normal GPS mode and practising the combined stick movements.

To practise the stick movements for circle and other "moves" now under winter (and other times :)) a simulator could be something to consider.
It also gives you more "stick time" which always is good for the confidence.
Personally I have a couple of different ones since doing RC under many years, but the http://www.heli-x.net/ (Heli-X) have a Phantom as a choice (others do to) and a suitable rc usb controller are quite cheap, working ones can be found on there homepage.
It's also possible to try that simulator first (demo) to see if you like it and that it works on your hardware. (read pc)

-Tomas

AAC said:
I remember reading posts about PV2+ 360 degree circle fly operation. It seems very simple, just hold right stick right in Course Lock and it could fly around pilot in fixed diameter.
I'm not sure my memory is correct. Any PV2+ pilot can share his/her experience with me ?
Walkera has a "round cruise flying" feature, where it keeps the camera pointing at the center of a circle.

see: http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=2616

I would imagine that DJI will soon include this same feature in their IOC software. It would be very useful, especially using Ground Station.

4wd said:
You can use home lock not course lock,
The smallest possible circle is rather large.
You still need to manually sync a very slow yaw against the sideways movement to keep the camera pointing inwards.
It helps to remember you do literally move the two sticks in opposite directions.

There is no real advantage to using home lock though, and if you get within 10 metres it will revert to course lock and behave in a different way. You are just as well leaving it in normal GPS mode and practising the combined stick movements.

Thanks. now I recalled my last circle flight was on HL and the circle was big and far from me. Eventually, it hit a small tree and damaged the gimbal. :oops: I paid $800+ to service center for this lesson despite the camera was functioning well. I need to boss this point-of-interest operation for next project shooting aerial video for a small church in remote small town, a 30 feet boat... Some YouTube video showing other motel flying in small circle (like flying around a sport car) in really simple operation but it's not PV2+, could be some advance model.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl