Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional How to obtain Map/ Satellite imagery without WiFi of site 10 miles away?

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by MichaelT1960, Apr 19, 2016.

1. MichaelT1960

The other day I took my P3P to our RC Flying site and was disappointed when I did not see any Satellite images of the ground for missions. It actually showed a map of the world!

Does this come from WiFi and if so how can I get it in my iOS Mini iPad 2? I do not have a smart phone.

Can I try to locate this area at home and will it cache it for when I go there?

Thank you,

Michael

2. flpholt

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

You'll need to enable the following setting in the DJI GO app:

DJI-GO-Cache-Map-In-The-Background.PNG

And, then while connected to the Internet, scroll around on the map in DJI GO at the location and zoom level you plan to use when flying. Like this:

4. MichaelT1960

OK it looks like I have the maps cached for both iOS DJI Go App and Litchi. Hopefully I will get to try it out soon.

Thank for the help!

5. GaryDZ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but also don't power down the iPad. I think you will lose the cache. (?)

6. bbfpv

no. the cache remains for something like 10 days or until the cache is filled, in which case it will remove the oldest cached tiles.

7. Lonewolf

I use an iPad mini 2 w/wifi & when I cache my map to a different location I don't shut down the GoApp. Because when I reopen it the map reverts back to my home point. I also found that if I click on the small map I cached for the different location to enlarge it BEFORE starting my Phantom it also reverts back to my original home point.

So, I learned NOT to open the map until the new home point has been established for the new location. It was most annoying when I went 300+ miles away to a friends cottage on a lake & had no wifi.