How to obtain a commercial license?

This thread is very full of misinformation so I'd like to help clear it up. I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have to take and pass the FAR 107 exam and then you have to do the license portion to obtain a license to fly a uav commercially. The license to fly is done at the FAA Testing center. The 107 can be done for free in the FAA's site.
Wrong there is no "do the license portion" as the knowledge test (written) is the license portion. They don't do the written, oral, and practical like other licenses for this license.

I took my 107 test online with the FAA direct for no fee. I was issued a Cert for that. I still need to take the exam at a site for a Pilots license.
Wrong: you took the course with the corresponding knowledge test if you have a pilots license AND have a current BFR. If you don't have a pilots license AND a current BFR you will have to go to a PSI/Lasergrade/CATS testing center and take the written knowledge exam before applying either by paper or through IACRA.

Then I'm confused! I was issues my Part 107 Certificate by the FAA utilizing their online system. Yes, I am a licensed Airplane Pilot as well so I know how to navigate the FAA sites. You say I haven't done anything until I test at a center but how do you explain the image I posted as my Certificate for completing the 107? Is there something else I am missing here? One does not need to pay a 3rd party site to take this exam. It's offered online by the FAA.
Wrong: you were issued the cert for completing the knowledge test for pilots WITH a current BFR. Now you have to take that certificate to a CFI or to a FSDO or other FAA approved person with your license, logbook to prove you have a current BFR, with that certificate, and photo ID, and have your FTN number in IACRA so they can go into IACRA and validate you meet the requirements for the license. THEN they will issue you the temporary Remote Pilot sUAS license.

The process is different for a regular pilot than a civilian.
Wrong: most pilots are civilian (ie not military). This is a pilot with current BFR vs non-pilots which is what the FAA is using to differentiate the testing methods.

Should have mentioned that you have your private pilot up front. As a licensed pilot win a current medical, you take the results of the test you took, fill out the paperwork and then have a FAA official (e.g. A cfi) review your paperwork, confirm your id and sign off on it. You then send hat package to the FAA to have yours Part 107 remote pilot certificate issued. Laid out here Becoming a Pilot.
Wrong: you are very close but having a medical is not mentioned on the FAA qualifications but having a current BFR is the qualifier.

This is important, you did not get a pilot certificate. You received a certificate for taking the class. You have to either pass the 107 exam, complete the IACRA and receive at least a temporary FAA certificate or take the course you did and then apply. The former is for if you do not have a traditional pilot certificate and the latter is if you do. This piece of paper does not allow you to sell your services. You can be fined for selling with this and cannot be insured with it if they follow up on your certificate. More here -
Mostly Correct! Even if you do have a pilots license you will need to take the written test at a testing center if you don't have a current BFR. Even if you do have a BFR you can also just take the knowledge test.

Many here are citing third party websites. I'd discourage you from getting licensing information from other sites. Just go to the FAA's website for the correct information. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help is one. They say:

Aeronautical Knowledge Testing/Remote Pilot Certification

1. I already have a pilot certificate issued under part 61. Do I need to obtain a remote pilot certificate to fly a UAS under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107)?
    Yes. To act as a remote pilot in command under Part 107, a person must have a remote pilot certificate. However, part 61 pilot certificate holders who have completed a flight review within the past 24 months may elect to take an online training course focusing on UAS-specific areas of knowledge instead of the aeronautical knowledge test. The online training for current pilot certificate holders is available at www.faasafety.gov. All other members of the public must take and pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test to obtain a remote pilot certificate.
6. Once I complete the aeronautical knowledge test at one of the approved centers, what is the process for obtaining my pilot certificate from the FAA?
After you have passed the initial aeronautical knowledge test, you will then complete the FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application (known as IACRA) to receive a remote pilot certificate. IACRA is a web-based certification/rating application that ensures you meet the requirements and electronically submits the application to the FAA's Airman Registry. Applications should be validated within 10 days. Applicants will then receive instructions for printing their temporary airman certificate, which is good for 120 days. The FAA will then mail you your permanent Remote Pilot Certificate within that 120 days.

To see the best description of the process go to https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf and read page A6 which has a screenshot below
upload_2017-1-7_10-27-46.png

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I do want to clear this up for people that come along later and read this thread. I hope this clears up all the misinformation.

How do I know this is correct? First, I only used the FAA's webpages to find out. My experience is I hold a commercial, single and multiengine, land, instrument airplane license, and flew as a professional bush pilot for over 7 years. I currently do not have a valid BFR so I took the course for pilots on the FAA site and got the certificate of completion like shown earlier in this thread. However, since I do not have a current BFR it does me no good other than I learned what they had to teach for free and I got to take a free practice test. Then I studied stuff for the sUAS test (much of which is review for the private pilot's written test), then went to a testing center and passed with a 95. 30 hours later my Exam ID was in IACRA. Since I hold a pilots license I already have had the TSA background check so my temporary license was instantly there.

This thread is very full of misinformation so I'd like to help clear it up. I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Wrong there is no "do the license portion" as the knowledge test (written) is the license portion. They don't do the written, oral, and practical like other licenses for this license.

Wrong: you took the course with the corresponding knowledge test if you have a pilots license AND have a current BFR. If you don't have a pilots license AND a current BFR you will have to go to a PSI/Lasergrade/CATS testing center and take the written knowledge exam before applying either by paper or through IACRA.

Wrong: you were issued the cert for completing the knowledge test for pilots WITH a current BFR. Now you have to take that certificate to a CFI or to a FSDO or other FAA approved person with your license, logbook to prove you have a current BFR, with that certificate, and photo ID, and have your FTN number in IACRA so they can go into IACRA and validate you meet the requirements for the license. THEN they will issue you the temporary Remote Pilot sUAS license.

Wrong: most pilots are civilian (ie not military). This is a pilot with current BFR vs non-pilots which is what the FAA is using to differentiate the testing methods.

Wrong: you are very close but having a medical is not mentioned on the FAA qualifications but having a current BFR is the qualifier.

Mostly Correct! Even if you do have a pilots license you will need to take the written test at a testing center if you don't have a current BFR. Even if you do have a BFR you can also just take the knowledge test.

Many here are citing third party websites. I'd discourage you from getting licensing information from other sites. Just go to the FAA's website for the correct information. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help is one. They say:

Aeronautical Knowledge Testing/Remote Pilot Certification

1. I already have a pilot certificate issued under part 61. Do I need to obtain a remote pilot certificate to fly a UAS under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107)?
    Yes. To act as a remote pilot in command under Part 107, a person must have a remote pilot certificate. However, part 61 pilot certificate holders who have completed a flight review within the past 24 months may elect to take an online training course focusing on UAS-specific areas of knowledge instead of the aeronautical knowledge test. The online training for current pilot certificate holders is available at www.faasafety.gov. All other members of the public must take and pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test to obtain a remote pilot certificate.
6. Once I complete the aeronautical knowledge test at one of the approved centers, what is the process for obtaining my pilot certificate from the FAA?
After you have passed the initial aeronautical knowledge test, you will then complete the FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application (known as IACRA) to receive a remote pilot certificate. IACRA is a web-based certification/rating application that ensures you meet the requirements and electronically submits the application to the FAA's Airman Registry. Applications should be validated within 10 days. Applicants will then receive instructions for printing their temporary airman certificate, which is good for 120 days. The FAA will then mail you your permanent Remote Pilot Certificate within that 120 days.

To see the best description of the process go to https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf and read page A6 which has a screenshot below
View attachment 72717

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I do want to clear this up for people that come along later and read this thread. I hope this clears up all the misinformation.

How do I know this is correct? First, I only used the FAA's webpages to find out. My experience is I hold a commercial, single and multiengine, land, instrument airplane license, and flew as a professional bush pilot for over 7 years. I currently do not have a valid BFR so I took the course for pilots on the FAA site and got the certificate of completion like shown earlier in this thread. However, since I do not have a current BFR it does me no good other than I learned what they had to teach for free and I got to take a free practice test. Then I studied stuff for the sUAS test (much of which is review for the private pilot's written test), then went to a testing center and passed with a 95. 30 hours later my Exam ID was in IACRA. Since I hold a pilots license I already have had the TSA background check so my temporary license was instantly there.
Sorry, I miss-posted. It is a current review that is required.

Reactions: squid
Sorry, I miss-posted.

Hi Richard, no apologies needed. The FAA seems to rarely make anything easy and third party websites often misquote things. I just wanted to clear up the muddy waters for people coming behind with information right from the source.

Just learn the materials from FAA site, pay attention to item regarding safety, understand the meaning of the map, know how to read map legend and use it to interpret the map. Cross reference your map knowledge with the safety regulations. Take the test. Wait for the perm license.

Okay here is what I did. I got the Certificate of Achievement and framed it as that was the only thing I could think to do with it besides use it for a marketing tool. Getting the FAA Certificate was more involved. I have a pilot license which you need to go this route but did not have a number because it was so long ago. Got the link from a FAA person to find my number (the number is required). I then had to get FAA part 61 current, fly and get signed off by a flight instructor (CFI). Go on the FAA IACRA site register and take the test. You have to get a 100% but you can take it as many times as you need. Then I made an appointment with the FAA Flight Service office in HIO (2 weeks to get in). I was taken into a room and sat down where a agent went on the IACRA site did some stuff, had me go on and do some stuff and low and behold out comes my temporary certificate. A month or so later I got my certificate that looks like my pilot license. The only cost was the CFI and plane. Part 107 ground school would have been cheaper but it only took a half a day with the CFI.

Yeah, I thought about going the part 61 route also, but decided that it wouldn't be worth spending the time to get proficient enough for a CFI to sign off on my BFR since I could fly anyway - no medical (kidney stones!) so I went the $150 test route. I did take the other test too, just as practice. Anyway, got my remote certificate and all 3 P3As have N numbers. Now just need the weather to cooperate so I can fly - single digits and -15 wind chills don't do me or the birds any good:(

The knowledge test was easy (then again, I already hold a Commercial / CFI / CFII / MEI too so it's not like any of this was particularly new except the Part 107 specific stuff...)

My BFR isn't current and I just needed the rating quickly so rather than deal with the BFR (although I will get it done one of these days when I get some time) the Knowledge Test was a much more efficient pathway. Also, a BFR is a few hundred bucks usually (some ground and flight time involved, plus I'd probably get an Instrument Competency Check / ICC at the same time) so it was a lot simpler and easier (and cheaper!) to just take the Knowledge Test.

My advice to anyone who doesn't already hold a Pilot Certificate of some sort is to bone up on the Sectional Chart legend (spend a couple of hours with it). When you're given questions about reading charts in the testing center, keep in mind that the legend might be found elsewhere in the booklet (hint, hint) too. Always useful for double-checking yourself. An hour or two with a CFI wouldn't hurt but isn't absolutely necessary for most people who are diligent and serious about learning the material.

As a practical matter, you should be able to whip out a sectional chart (free download from FAA's website BTW) and figure out where you are, what kind of airspace lies overhead, etc. If you're in Class G (most areas under either 700' or 1,200' AGL) you're good to go up to 400' AGL, but you will definitely want to be able to find out if that does NOT apply (i.e. you're in a Class E-to-the-surface area - used to be called a "control zone" way back when..., Class D, C or B).

Fly safely. Go get the rating if you're doing anything even semi-serious. It's worth it just for familiarity too (and who knows, some of you might decide to pursue Private Pilot or other certifications someday too - the already-obtained knowledge will help!)

Last edited:
What is the process of obtaining a commercial license? So that i can sell the images and videos?

As people have already mentioned there is tons of information out there, but very few sites offer any cohesive, step-by-step course materials. I took the $99 remotepilot101.com course, online which consists of video instruction and short exams... and there is a lot of course material, which they keep updating and adding to. Your membership is good for life, because as we all should know, you will have to recertify after 2 years. So the site remains open to you as long as it exists or as long as you live, whichever goes first. I watched their videos, took their tests and also used their online resources to supplement the course materials. They even walk you through the process of registering through IACRA once you have passed your test. For me, I spent 1-2 hours a day for 2 weeks and passed the test the first time. Each test is different, so even if you were able to cheat and look over someone's shoulder at the testing center, you would not recognize the test questions next to you. I would not recommend that anyway. My test had about 85% of my questions referring to Sectional Charts, which I had only learned to read a few weeks before the test. After passing your test and submitting your test number to IACRA, they issue you a temp certificate online within 10 days, which you can print out, but it does not have a sUAS pilot number. This allows you to fly commercially, but for things like applying for insurance, you will have to wait to get your permanent card which has your number on it. It took me 7 weeks to receive mine after they issued my temporary. I have zero affiliation with remotepilot.com, but can speak from personal experience, that it will probably help you immensely with the whole process.

Reactions: N017RW
Quick question for those who have already taken the test. How far in advance did you schedule your test?

I took the part 107 test in Nov. at a local Airman Knowledge Testing Center near where I live (I got a 95.. YAY). I now have a Temporary Certificate and waiting for my permanent Airman Certificate Number (that can take 2-4 months, FAA is backlogged).

Initially I was going to selfstudy at the FAA website, but after researching I decided to take an online course at RemotePilote101 for $99 (there are many online courses). I figured it was money well spent because the part 107 Knowledge Test costs $150 and you have to re-test every 2 years.

The Knowledge Test was VERY difficult. Sixty multiple choice questions (some are trick questions - the FAA likes trick questions). You are questioned on:
- Types of Airspace
- VFR charts
- METARs
- NOTAMs
- Weather
- Waivers
- Airport operations
- and a lot more
You need to know your stuff to pass the test, but it is well worth if even if you don't intend to fly commercial. A lot of good knowledge.
Quick question for those who have already taken the test. How far in advance did you schedule your test?

I scheduled 2 weeks in advance, and it is up to the testing facility to decide:
For CATS go here: FAA test, Private Pilot Exam & Aviation Test | CATS
For lasergrade go here: PSI Online - FAA Testing, Pre-Employment Testing; Licensure & Certification Testing
For testing centers by location go here: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

I called my local testing center when I started studying. They told me just to call ahead any day I wanted to make sure someone could proctor the test. The day I wanted to take the test was foggy. I called and they said anytime that day would be fine as nobody was doing any flight instructing.

I also read somewhere that PSI testing now owns Lasergrade and CATS.

Sorry Richard,

I wasn't trying to hide anything. I didn't mention being a licensed Pilot because I didn't think it mattered here, regarding the subject at hand. I truly haven't put too much on having a Part 61 License to Fly towards getting a UAV license. They fall under different FAR's and have several differences that don't meld with one another. Again, there was never an intent here to battle with anyone here at all so I'm hopeful that no one came away feeling that way. If so, I apologize deeply.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So I guess it is more adding drone, like mult engine, and instrument.

Reactions: brolland
I agree the part 107 test is very difficult. I got a 92 and the examiner said that was the highest score she scored at that testing center. I also took the remotepilot101 course. Was well worth the money.

Reactions: Digital.Gods
Lots and lots of good resources and information at FAA.GOV/uas/ (imagine that!)

The exam isn't really that hard if you read the study material (FAR/AIM and the Pilot's Handbook) and spend some time becoming familiar with the regulations.

For many, the charts and weather/METARS are the most difficult to grasp.

Tip: When they give you the charts book at the exam don't forget that the chart legend that tells you what the symbols mean is in the front of the book and you are allowed to look there.

Last edited:
Here's a free practice test from Gold Seal:

FAA Part 107 Ground School

Gold Seal is one of the best all-around programs out there. Also for those of you who already have your Part 107 and you want to expand upon your abilities you may want to check out the Waiver for Part 107.29 (Daytime Only Operations) module at Gold Seal. Select Section 3 Skills Building Modules and then scroll down to Night Flight Operations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20