HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure

No its always with tolerance levels fund even down to 7% still plenty of juice left.

Remember the percentage is usable power left in your battery that is usable, not battery voltage. These snart batteries won't let you take the battery down to the point of them not being usable.

They have a safe guide to stop you reaching that point. You will find at 0% if you could get that low would be the lest voltage you could go without distorting the battery.

At 7 or so percent you not neat the danger point.

Reactions: williamjamesfpv
No its always with tolerance levels fund even down to 7% still plenty of juice left.

Remember the percentage is usable power left in your battery that is usable, not battery voltage. These snart batteries won't let you take the battery down to the point of them not being usable.

They have a safe guide to stop you reaching that point. You will find at 0% if you could get that low would be the lest voltage you could go without distorting the battery.

@denodan - Thank you for clarifying. I was wondering how some people were getting down to like 2% and not damaging their batteries. I usually land at around 25%, but now that I know I can still fly without damaging the cells.... I think I'll and at like ~10%. Thanks again :)

The settings in the Battery section of the app will hit a critical warning and go into an auto fail safe landing mode. You won't let them get drained down to 10% twice. ;-) & especially if it decides to land in an inconvenient location.

RedHotPoker

You are completely incorrect with this answer. At 7% the P3 is landing.. And flying the batteries to this voltage every flight is a sure recipe for ruining the battery.

You are completely incorrect with this answer. At 7% the P3 is landing.. And flying the batteries to this voltage every flight is a sure recipe for ruining the battery.
Indeed, although it's far more likely to result in auto-landing the P3P in an unsafe place first, resulting in an unrecoverable or destroyed aircraft, as soon as it reaches 10%. Certainly not a "best practices" recommendation!:eek: I've already had it happen twice (autolanding at 10%) when, like Icarus, I flew too far downwind, and barely made it back! Luckily, I was able to manage to maneuver it over the 10 foot wide pier 500 feet out over the ocean in one instance, and away from over the top of the canopy of a grove of trees in the second instance. Best avoided!:eek:

Last edited:
my batt life already to 98% and have charged 17 times. since every time i charge the battery life gets lower and 2 cells are not draining more than the 2 cells...example 2 cells 4.11 another 4.14. so i did the discharge. then i fully charged it. suddenly the batt life turns to 100% and the 4 cells are equally drained. so what does this means?

You deep cycled the battery and it reset to a correct voltage across the cells.
Bravo, it works. Just as it was designed to do. ;-)

Intelligent flight battery, eh? Hehe

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
You deep cycled the battery and it reset to a correct voltage across the cells.
Bravo, it works. Just as it was designed to do. ;-)

Intelligent flight battery, eh? Hehe

RedHotPoker
not so in my case. nope. meaning i dont have to wait 20 cycles right? if the batt life getting worst i discharge it? could i do this?

You might have waited a couple or three flights. ;-) but surely no harm was done.
I have one battery that has two cells that are a decimal digit less, than the other cells. It currently reads 17 charges. Only Three more full charges and I will deep cycle it down to 8%, as suggested in the @dji literature. These flight batteries run nearly $200.00 new up here in hinterland. So I would appreciate some extended longevity from them. Knowing they will fade away eventually. . .

I realize there some guys here, who will not heed the @dji kind suggestions, and fly them to 10% or 20% right from day one.
That's your perogative. Enjoy. ;-)
Let's keep track and see who's fly the farthest. Longest.

RedHotPoker

You might have waited a couple or three flights. ;-) but surely no harm was done.
I have one battery that has two cells that are a decimal digit less, than the other cells. It currently reads 17 charges. Only Three more full charges and I will deep cycle it down to 8%, as suggested in the @dji literature. These flight batteries run nearly $200.00 new up here in hinterland. So I would appreciate some extended longevity from them. Knowing they will fade away eventually. . .

I realize there some guys here, who will not heed the @dji kind suggestions, and fly them to 10% or 20% right from day one.
That's your perogative. Enjoy. ;-)
Let's keep track and see who's fly the farthest. Longest.

RedHotPoker
...and still has their P3P! :cool:

The settings in the Battery section of the app will hit a critical warning and go into an auto fail safe landing mode. You won't let them get drained down to 10% twice. ;-) & especially if it decides to land in an inconvenient location.

RedHotPoker

@RedHotPoker - Two questions regarding this. (1) Will it still auto land when it hits 10% if I change the "critical battery warning" to a lower amount.. say 3%? (2) Is there a way to cancel auto land, or is it gonna land regardless of what I choose to do?

Well yeah, any flyaway's to the moon don't count. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
I was thinking more about the sinkings to the bottom of the ocean or into lakes and rivers, after an unanticipated autolanding over water or high trees!:eek:

@RedHotPoker - Two questions regarding this. (1) Will it still auto land when it hits 10% if I change the "critical battery warning" to a lower amount.. say 3%? (2) Is there a way to cancel auto land, or is it gonna land regardless of what I choose to do?

You can not set it to react below 10%, as it may crash first, before landing.
I set mine for 30% - 20% giving it ample flight time to fly back home.
The critical warning isn't just a teaser, it's a real-time parameter.
They granted us this alarm system to help us save it from being lost or busted up. You can only cancel Auto Land if you have enough battery left. Otherwise she's going down, and you better hope that it's above open ground when it starts to descend. ;-)

No! the 10% battery is the low limit, to help it land safely, so do it before critical stage is achieved. Or suffer the consequences.
Do you want to extend your flight times to a lot more air travel? Simply do what I and many others did, go buy more intelligent flight batteries. Then you can fly your heart out. So to speak. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I don't believe the critical battery warning setting can be set below 10% in the new DJI GO app on the P3. It's going to autoland when it reaches 10%. You can't "cancel" autoland, but you can counteract it with full left throttle up. That can stop the descent, as long as you hold it up fully, while you maneuver it with the right stick horizontally to a more "convenient"/water and tree free landing location! :cool: The low battery warning is the adjustible one with a 30% default. I changed mine to 25%, because that's when I want to be reminded about landing. The problem with the premature 30% low battery warning is that your green rear lights turn red, just like the front lights, unless you have the red lights turned off, as I do, for video at dusk. With both the same color, it's harder to tell aircraft orientation easily during landing, so if I land myself between 25 and 30%, I get to use the green rear lights during landing, as long as the low battery warning is at 25% instead of 30%. There is also a Smart Go Home feature that initiates a RTH at any battery level, where the algorithm determines you won't have enough battery power to reach your current Home Point, if it doesn't turn around immediately. This takes both your horizontal distance from, and your altitude above, the HP into consideration. I have mine turned OFF! I'll be the judge of when to fly home, thank you!:cool: If possible, I lower the elevation closer to my home point altitude, so that the only factor is horizontal flying speed, in ATTI, if necessary!

Last edited:
I have had the pleasure doing that already. Oh what a thrill. It's like a mini roller coaster ride, in your head.
Not for the faint of heart. Nor any Inexperienced pilot.

RedHotPoker

You can not set it to react below 10%, as it may crash first, before landing.
I set mine for 30% - 20% giving it ample flight time to fly back home.
The critical warning isn't just a teaser, it's a real-time parameter.
They granted us this alarm system to help us save it from being lost or busted up. You can only cancel Auto Land if you have enough battery left. Otherwise she's going down, and you better hope that it's above open ground when it starts to descend. ;-)

No! the 10% battery is the low limit, to help it land safely, so do it before critical stage is achieved. Or suffer the consequences.
Do you want to extend your flight times to a lot more air travel? Simply do what I and many others did, go buy more intelligent flight batteries. Then you can fly your heart out. So to speak. ;-)

RedHotPoker
...or just follow behind your aircraft, with your chase crew driving, while you fly, resetting the HP to the transmitter as you go. That way, you can fly 5 miles one way, or farther, since you are likely closeby, on one battery, instead of only 2.5 miles out and back, for safety, in case you encounter a headwind on the way back!:cool:

Yes, you can watch all the moving points on the flight maps, as you run after the Phantom. Hahaha
It's a great workout and fitness program. ;-)
Perhaps a long kite string attached, would be advised too.

RedHotPoker

I have had the pleasure doing that already. Oh what a thrill. It's like a mini roller coaster ride, in your head.
Not for the faint of heart. Nor any Inexperienced pilot.

RedHotPoker
Indeed! The key is to remember to switch back to P mode for landing, if you flew back home in ATTI mode for maximum speed. Otherwise the pucker factor increases significantly in high wind on a long pier over the surf! I know! It happened! Added that key point to my emergency landing checklist! :D All's well that ends well! All that flight training with the Syma X5c came in very handy!

I hope my learning curve never stops. It's been too exciting. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic