How to make your drone release something while in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately drone hobby is often haunted and every journalist would be pleased to bring scary news about using a drone as a weapon if you give them the chance. Many times i did my best to tell and show bywalkers its a great tool to make special photos and video. In your age i would like do the same but please consider the advice of other members of this forum. Recently here someone took off drone (not dji) close to capitol airport and local tv was full of horors.

Reactions: pomonabill220
lol!! at least that would not be dangerous

Well at least here you admitted the "knife" drop is dangerous. Seriously guys, this kid I truly believe posts all this nonsense crap just to get people going, shaking their heads and commenting. Troll I suppose - since it's pretty hard to believe (even for a kid) to actually carry out these ridiculously childish attempts at high elevation flights, chasing planes and your latest - the "knife drop".

Nonetheless - ever hear of "hind sight" kid? Well take some advice here, your elders are your "real time" hindsight and can offer up genuinely honest opinions since most of us have at one time or another done something dumb, careless or dangerous and have realized the consequences. Use our past experiences as your own real "hindsight" and learn from it.

this kid I truly believe posts all this nonsense crap just to get people going, shaking their heads and commenting
i have a lot of boring thoughts too, i just don't post those cuz there's enough boring topics on here already. so what your saying is that if i have an exciting or risky idea, not to post it on here cuz it gets you old guys upset and is let me guess, offensive to your feelings? sorry guy, i will try to tone it down and post more boring stuff like filiming butterflys and rainbows. in the meantime i guess you could block me if your feelings get too hurt. haha

so what your saying is that if i have an exciting or risky idea, not to post it on here cuz it gets you old guys upset and is let me guess

Well - actually it is the risks you are imposing on others - chasing planes - dropping a knife - if any of it's true, then its the risk to others that would upset me and your total disregard for same. LOL - one day Corey you will also be "an old guy" offering up advice to a younger person and shaking your head at the "exciting or risky ideas" they have.

Like I said before - your elders are your "real time hindsight" - make good use of it in all parts of your life and I guarantee you will go far! Fly safe n sensible buddy boy.

Here is a video from last week where I dropped a toy parachutist. Kids absolutely loved it. Not quite ready to be dropping knifes over my cookout. Here is video of drop. Tough part is keeping camera on parachute on way down.

Link to company that makes device is below. They are in Israel so it can take up to a month to have order delivered to your door. Easy installation. It triggers when front LED goes off. I have programed my C1 button to toggle front LED. Works great. Bought 12 plastic parachute guys on Amazon. In the video you will see this guy took one for the team and landed on a building never to be seen again.

Gimbal-Guard
Talk about torturing the kids. The excitement quickly turned to horror when they realized the parachute would be landing on the roof :)
Nice attempt though

I might have to try that. I read somewhere else where a guy would loop string around his gimbal but i don't want to put that much weight on it.

to canadian, i live in US so pretty sure its legal here. besides, i'm not trying to drop on somebody, just want to see how accurate we can be with a knife from way up in the clouds.

next thought was to take up a big firework, like a rocket. so we could attach a really long fuse on it and take it as high as the drone would go and release it when you saw in camera that fuse was about to light it. would be funny to see where it goes. same idea as those chasers that you point at people and watch them run, but sounds cooler when its coming down like a missile. lol
``````````````````````
Corey,
I am interested to hear how you have figured out how large a field you need to be able to drop a "throwing knife" from way up in the clouds? How do you predict the wind currents, and the wind sail (cross sectional area) of the knife, and the length of time that the knife will be air-born with it drifting in the wind. How long will it take the knife to hit the ground? How large is your target that you are trying to hit? How accurately do you know the aircraft's ground position when you trigger the drop, way up in the clouds? How do you know that an airplane won't be up there with you in the clouds? You might also include some more of you thoughts about this experiment for us to understand.
Thanks for your plan info.
Joe
KC7GHT

``````````````````````
Corey,
I am interested to hear how you have figured out how large a field you need to be able to drop a "throwing knife" from way up in the clouds? How do you predict the wind currents, and the wind sail (cross sectional area) of the knife, and the length of time that the knife will be air-born with it drifting in the wind. How long will it take the knife to hit the ground? How large is your target that you are trying to hit? How accurately do you know the aircraft's ground position when you trigger the drop, way up in the clouds? How do you know that an airplane won't be up there with you in the clouds? You might also include some more of you thoughts about this experiment for us to understand.
Thanks for your plan info.
Joe
KC7GHT
no offense joe, but i started this to talk about how something gets dropped from a drone, not the details around what i was dropping. that admin guy keeps complaining - i don't think he likes weapons.

but it's not all complicated like your trying to make it sound. you sound like your trying to plan a mission to space. lol. anyway, to break it down for you, it's like sighting in a rifle. you don't start 1000 yards away. you get up real close, sight it in, then go back further and repeat. to make sure dropping something is safe, you go up maybe 100 feet, drop, see where it goes - adjust target. then go up couple hundred feet and so on. should only take a couple of tries to get it pretty accurate though.

no offense joe, but i started this to talk about how something gets dropped from a drone, not the details around what i was dropping. that admin guy keeps complaining - i don't think he likes weapons.

but it's not all complicated like your trying to make it sound. you sound like your trying to plan a mission to space. lol. anyway, to break it down for you, it's like sighting in a rifle. you don't start 1000 yards away. you get up real close, sight it in, then go back further and repeat. to make sure dropping something is safe, you go up maybe 100 feet, drop, see where it goes - adjust target. then go up couple hundred feet and so on. should only take a couple of tries to get it pretty accurate though.
Just an FYI Corey... I have no qualms about weapons. I have owned, used and been around them all my life, in fact my father still owns a private rifle range. My concern is when someone says they want to drop a weapon, uncontrolled, in an uncontrolled setting. That is disconcerting. Hopefully you have decided against that idea.

PS - I sight my rifles in at the distance I want to achieve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Thanks Corey. That's wanted I wanted to know. Keep us posted with your techniques, and your accuracy results as you proceed.
Joe
KC7GHT

Not overreacting at all. One day you will be mature enough to understand but in the meantime, I wish you luck!
and maybe see him on the 6 oclock news behind bars!

Reactions: John Locke
Well - actually it is the risks you are imposing on others - chasing planes - dropping a knife - if any of it's true, then its the risk to others that would upset me and your total disregard for same. LOL - one day Corey you will also be "an old guy" offering up advice to a younger person and shaking your head at the "exciting or risky ideas" they have.

Like I said before - your elders are your "real time hindsight" - make good use of it in all parts of your life and I guarantee you will go far! Fly safe n sensible buddy boy.
and his actions affect all of us and our ability to fly due to strict regulations.
Remember the fire here in California with the quad interfering with Fire Ops? Remember all the media coverage?
Remember the regulations that came out?
He was only ONE person, yet it has affected ALL of us!

Is it just me that thinks y'all are being 'trolled' here?

Mr. CT is just looking for attention.

i will post video as soon as that release system gets here. maybe i can teach everyone how you can do this safely, since everyone apparently thinks that's impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj