"How-To" Long exposure picture thread! Plus pictures!

For best results, shoot in raw format (DNG) and then you can adjust white balance, color, sharpening, etc in post production in your image editor. If you shoot in jpeg, the white balance, color and style options are "baked in" to your photo at the point of capture. You can modify the jpeg in post, but the raw files have more detail and are better quality.
Yes I will take pictures using DNG and I understand I can idit in post, but prior to taking the long exposure pictures, what do I set the shooting mode to?, single shot, hdr, etc?, white balance to auto?, style to what?, color to what?, or do they not matter what they are set to because of the post editing?

Yes I will take pictures using DNG and I understand I can idit in post, but prior to taking the long exposure pictures, what do I set the shooting mode to?, single shot, hdr, etc?, white balance to auto?, style to what?, color to what?, or do they not matter what they are set to because of the post editing?
Single shot, manual, with whatever shutter speed and iso give you a proper exposure - probably around 3 seconds depending on the light. It does not matter what you set white balance, color and style to because that only applies to jpeg. That's why you can change it in post when in raw. Note your image editor may apply some processing to the raw file but that is only to generate the thumbnail and preview. In raw format, those settings are not permanent like they are with jpeg.

Reactions: bLaStErAiD
Single shot, manual, with whatever shutter speed and iso give you a proper exposure - probably around 3 seconds depending on the light. It does not matter what you set white balance, color and style to because that only applies to jpeg. That's why you can change it in post when in raw. Note your image editor may apply some processing to the raw file but that is only to generate the thumbnail and preview. In raw format, those settings are not permanent like they are with jpeg.
Thank you KAOS Imagery, everything I needed to know

Getting familiar with the camera. Need to calibrate my gimble and remember to turn off my front running lights.

Attachments

• 1452990059783.jpg
    1452990059783.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 784
  • 1452990157327.jpg
    1452990157327.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 722
  • 1452990172479.jpg
    1452990172479.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 757
Just back from a trip to the city so I packed the P3.
Here's a panorama stitched from 13 images.
DJI_0581-618_stitch-XL.jpg
In order to achieve these pictures what setting does the shutter speed need to be on? I have a p3a so it ranges for 10-300 I believe. Is this what changes the exposure length?

In order to achieve these pictures what setting does the shutter speed need to be on? I have a p3a so it ranges for 10-300 I believe. Is this what changes the exposure length?
Shutter is the Bottom sliding button- that controls the exposure.

You really have to play with it. Every picture/location is different. Sometimes .5 second is perfect sometimes 2/3 seconds. just snap a few and check them to see what works for you.

Just make sure you keep the ISO around 100 or 200.

Reactions: Simmsy
Hey guys, I'm trying to find out how to change the shutter speed to 1" or more. The DJI Go App isn't showing me that option. How do you make it show up? I'm using iOS and am selecting manual for photo adjustments but shutter speed isn't showing.

Thanks!

Scott

Wow. There are some really nice shots here. How are you getting them all so clear? I suspect my P3A is drifting a little during exposure. I cant find a way to get it still. I have 15 sat connection and no wind... any ideas?

PS... I am total amateur so be gentle.

ViUWLOW.jpg

dpYcOux.jpg

yS0Gf3S.jpg

vhlMraD.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, just curious if this is a setting on the P4 as well? I see how to switch to manual and change the ISO but I don't see anything else that I can change? From what I see in this post it looks like everyone is doing it with the P3... This would give a better daylight shot as well wouldn't it? I dont know that much yet about photography but have heard that people use a longer exposure for a better picture?
Thanks! =)

Anyway to make a long exposure video/ timelapse?

Wow. There are some really nice shots here. How are you getting them all so clear? I suspect my P3A is drifting a little during exposure. I cant find a way to get it still. I have 15 sat connection and no wind... any ideas?

PS... I am total amateur so be gentle.

I would try to do the compass dance again.
I have the VPS sensor turned off, but I dont know if it helps. Also let the P3 hover for a few secant before tacking a picture. Hop this helps.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for this thread. It was helpful to me as I play more with the camera settings on my P3P.
These are not glamorous shots at all but here are 3 I shot from home last night. I need to find a more urban setting to play with the various settings to get better looking shots!
Night 1.jpg
Night 2.jpg
Night 3.jpg

Reactions: maxwell smart
Cant figure out the long exposure on the 4....seems the only thing you can change is the ISO setting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj