"How-To" Long exposure picture thread! Plus pictures!

Just back from a trip to the city so I packed the P3.
Here's a panorama stitched from 13 images.
DJI_0581-618_stitch-XL.jpg
Hi meta, great work, what stiching program do you use?

I have taken some night video and used some screen captures--and some are very good. I will have to try the stills. Is the Auto mode pretty decent if you touch the screen where you want it metered?

I cant find the turn lights off. Tired to find this in the manual as well... Are you running 1.0.10. Could the professional have this feature while the advanced doesnt?

This option turn lights off is only in IOS not andriod
Bummer

Amazed how little noise there is in your picture. Just after take off my drone tends to drift ever so slightly. I wonder if it will hold a solid position when it has more satellites higher up. I always take off on my deck with not the best view of the sky....
I start out with 6 or 7 satellites but once above the tree tops I can get 11.

I've had my new P3P up every day for 4 days so far (I had to wait 6 days for the wind to drop after I first got it). The main aim for me is as a stills camera and initially I have been quite disappointed with the quality as I have been flying a P2V+ for 6 months, however the quality of the images I got last night at the local railway station is starting to sway me and maybe I just need to work on the settings a bit more.
I forgot to turn off the arm lights though I don't think it made any difference.
BLRailStn0244v.jpg

Subscribing. Awesome!

I'm still playing with the settings for long exposures. I'm amazed that something in the air without a tripod can take these pics.

84e808d03d0704d0e5fae7e188128c4d.jpg

I think this was a 1" exposure at 1600ISO. Even after heavy post, I'm still pretty unhappy with the quality.

How are you guys getting crisp, sharp night images? Anything over 1" for me has been too blurry to do anything with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/84e808d03d0704d0e5fae7e188

I think this was a 1" exposure at 1600ISO. Even after heavy post, I'm still pretty unhappy with the quality.

How are you guys getting crisp, sharp night images? Anything over 1" for me has been too blurry to do anything with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Key to success, well crispness, is lower the ISO. The higher the ISO the more "noise" there is hence the crappy quality. It may look dark at a lower ISO but once you make exposure alittle Longer you will see the difference once you snap the picture.

I think you will also struggle with it the higher up you are. I've found my shots get blurry also with fixed shutter above a couple secs. When it's too high it's difficult to get enough light into the camera with its fixed aperture and a low ISO setting. If you see the other shots in the thread, they are much lower than yours.

I think you will also struggle with it the higher up you are. I've found my shots get blurry also with fixed shutter above a couple secs. When it's too high it's difficult to get enough light into the camera with its fixed aperture and a low ISO setting. If you see the other shots in the thread, they are much lower than yours.

Aha. Will definitely try this my next go-around.

I also believe my location is working against me. Although that photo looks like there is a lot of light, it's because it's literally an entire city. At street level, Jinja is pretty dark.

The capital (Kampala) installed large, solar powered street lamps about a year ago in a test section of the city using a grant from USAID. Two months later, 70% of the panels/bulbs had been stolen :)

Ok so I get the to put the settings in manual mode, switch iso to 100-200 and shutter to 2"-3" etc, but what about in the menu options for pictures?, what shooting mode?, white balance?, style and color?, what are the best settings there for the long exposure pics?, or do they not matter as long as you play with the ISO and shutter speeds? :confused:

Ok so I get the to put the settings in manual mode, switch iso to 100-200 and shutter to 2"-3" etc, but what about in the menu options for pictures?, what shooting mode?, white balance?, style and color?, what are the best settings there for the long exposure pics?, or do they not matter as long as you play with the ISO and shutter speeds? :confused:
For best results, shoot in raw format (DNG) and then you can adjust white balance, color, sharpening, etc in post production in your image editor. If you shoot in jpeg, the white balance, color and style options are "baked in" to your photo at the point of capture. You can modify the jpeg in post, but the raw files have more detail and are better quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic