How To Interpret Obstacle Avoidance Sensing Status Icon

Reaction score
I have reviewed the manual but do not see how to interpret the Obstacle Avoidance Sensing Status Icon. Yesterday, the icon turned red at 300' and on occasion there was either an R or I inside the red circle.

I am assuming white means the everything is operating as it should. However, what does red mean? What does the R and the I mean when they appear in the red dot?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Donald Barar

Reactions: dougsteph
I do not see this information in the manual. I did some experimentation today and have the following report:
  • White. Obstacle avoidance sensors are enabled in application.
  • Red with R in Circle. Obstacle avoidance sensors are disabled in application.
  • Red with I in Circle and Flying after Sunset. Obstacle avoidance sensor are enabled in application. Still not certain what the I means.
If there is additional information that others have to help fill in the blanks it would be appreciated.

Donald Barar

i wish somone would answer your question. I have the same misunderstanding of the icon in the app as well. sometimes mine is white (assumed working) and sometimes it's red. When its red the bird goes into atti mode. Wondering if I am having a problem with my sensors.

Hi Rich,

What I have in my previous post is the best information I have been able to garner. And that was just through experimentation.

I do know if it dark outside the sensor icon will turn red even though the sensors are turned on.

It is odd that that your aircraft goes into Attitude mode when the sensor icon turns red.

Just a thought. If you have concern about the obstacle avoidance sensors, might you consider calibration of the sensors?

Donald Barar

Thanks Donald,
It was last night when I was seeing all this. I don't know why it kept popping into atti mode. I tried to callibrate the sensors and was having no luck. I will try again tonight. I just picked up this drone. So your saying that they turn red when its dark outside. Thats wierd. They would come on and off.

Hi Rich,

The icon for the sensors turns red when there is no light. Others have confirmed this as well.

What is puzzling is the aircraft going into Attitude mode when the sensor icon goes red. Not certain why that would be the case. This never has happened to me.

As far as sensor calibration goes, I too had limited success. However, I was able to get them calibrated by starting with a fully charged battery and by first resetting to factory conditions. Also, make sure you are using the primary monitor.

Let me know how it goes.

Donald Barar

Thanks for the info, few quick questions. I don't understand primary monitor? what do you mean? and then when I go to factory settings, I do that in the dji assistant right? It would be connected to my bird, what about my controller and factory settings do I need to somehow connect that to the assistant?

Answers to your questions:

- Primary monitor. I should have explained this better. I use a laptop. When I attempted to calibrate on a monitor connected to the laptop calibration failed. If you are using a laptop use the monitor integral with the laptop.
- Restore to factory conditions. This is done in DJI Assistant. Aircraft is connected to computer.
- Controller calibration, Not required.

Does this help?

Donald Barar

Thank you, does factory conditions effect the firmware or is it just the way things will be turned on in the dji app.?
also are you using dji go or dji go4? Sorry for the onslaught of questions, you are here!

No worries.

Restoring to factory settings does not change the firmware. That said, I am uncertain how it impacts calibration of the IMUs, gimbal, and compass. Since you are having issues with random changes to Attitude mode best to recalibrate these as well.

I am using DJI Go 4 version that was released within the last couple of weeks.

Donald Barar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav