HOW TO: Install firmware on extra batteries

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware on extra batteries

Overview

Follow the steps below to install the latest firmware on your Phantom 3 batteries. Ensure you follow the steps from top-to-bottom. Carefully read each step and ensure you perform them exactly as written.

Note: You do not need to install the firmware on the battery you were using when you installed the firmware on your Phantom. The firmware was already installed on that battery at that time.

Note: If you have a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K, the battery firmware can be updated from the main screen in DJI GO (before entering the camera view). You'll see a prompt displayed there if the firmware needs to be updated.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Download the firmware

1) Download the latest firmware ZIP file from Phantom downloads page. You should download the firmware version that is currently installed on your Phantom.
Review the release notes so you understand what was changed and you're aware of any special installation instructions:

Prepare your memory card

2) Delete all files from your memory card or format it.

3)
Open the firmware ZIP file downloaded in step #1 above, extract the BIN file, and copy it to the root level of your memory card.

Prepare your Phantom batteries

4) Ensure all Phantom batteries are at least 50% charged. This means you should see at least 2 lights illuminate when pressing the power button. If needed, stop here and charge your batteries until they are at least 50% charged.

Prepare your Phantom

5) Turn off your Phantom.

6) Remove the props & gimbal lock from your Phantom.

7) Insert the memory card into the memory card slot on the camera.

Install the firmware on your Phantom batteries

8) Insert the Phantom battery into your Phantom and power it on. To power on the battery, press and release the power button quickly -- and, then immediately press and hold it in for 2 seconds.

9) The upgrade process will begin automatically after your Phantom is powered on. Watch the camera status light to monitor the installation process. It should do the following:
  • Flash green while your Phantom is starting up.
  • Alternate between red and green while the firmware update is being installed.
  • Turn solid green when the firmware update successfully completes. You will also hear a D-DD beeping sound that repeats.
10) Power down your Phantom by turning off the Phantom battery. To power down the battery, press and release the power button quickly -- and, then immediately press and hold it in for 2 seconds.

11) If you have additional batteries, then go back to step #8 above and repeat these steps with the next battery.

Keep or delete the firmware BIN file

12) At this point, you can delete the BIN file from your memory card -OR- keep it on your memory card. DJI recommends keeping the BIN file on your memory card in case you need to install it on new batteries in the future.

Last edited:
You sure this is essential? I never did this before and I have had no problems with batteries. If it is essential can I just make sure I do this next time?

Thanks for the info

No, it's not essential. All firmware/software updates are completely optional. It's certainly a good idea to stay current on the firmware/software though.

You sure this is essential? I never did this before and I have had no problems with batteries. If it is essential can I just make sure I do this next time?

Thanks for the info
Specifically with the battery bug in the previous firmware that caused phantoms to drop off the sky after a midair shutdown, it is very important to get all your batteries updated. So I say yes, if you updated your firmware successfully, just go through the process with all your batteries. It is much shorter time to update them, but definitely worth it .

I have a P3S and was looking on the entire forum about battery upgrade, but everything I found was about Pro and Adv. I tried to update using this tutorials, but I found it is slightly different. Here is my experience.

- First I charged at least 50% the new battery
- Then put it on the Phantom
- Then power on the Phantom with the SD card inserted and the bin file on it.
- After that I waited for the red light in the camera to start flashing, or the sound to start beeping, but I had no luck. So I decided to turn on the RC and open DJI Go App, the first thing that appeared on the screen was a blue message saying "Firmware Downloaded". So I suppose that the new battery was detected.
- I just click on the Update Button at the app and the update process started.
- The update sound started and the app showed a message saying that the update was completed correctly.

I will post a new thread with this info

Am I correct in assuming then, that as long as the .bin file is on the memory card, each new battery I use will be updated automatically (if it needs to be) when it is plugged into the phantom and the phantom is turned on? P3P.

Am I correct in assuming then, that as long as the .bin file is on the memory card, each new battery I use will be updated automatically (if it needs to be) when it is plugged into the phantom and the phantom is turned on? P3P.
Yes.

Maybe mine is an oddball but when mine is finished, I always get the D-dd sound at the end and I go by that because I never get green lights even though I confirm that the update took. When mine is done, the front lights are red and the back ones flash amber. Maybe it does that when you do the update inside and it doesn't have a GPS signal? Anyway, for this reason, I go by the D-dd sound moreso than the lights.

Mike

MI always get the D-dd sound at the end and I go by that because I never get green lights
Which lights are you referring to? On the arms?

Maybe mine is an oddball but when mine is finished, I always get the D-dd sound at the end and I go by that because I never get green lights even though I confirm that the update took. When mine is done, the front lights are red and the back ones flash amber. Maybe it does that when you do the update inside and it doesn't have a GPS signal? Anyway, for this reason, I go by the D-dd sound moreso than the lights.

Mike
The tiny led on the gimbal will flash red/green while upgrading, and change to solid green when done.

Reactions: msinger
How do we know on whichfurmware are the batteries ? Will they report that there is newer firmware ? I have updated my RC and P3A on latest version when I got them. Has the battery got updated in the process ?

I got 2 new batteries and they also dont report anything regarding update.

There is no way to see the current firmware version for the batteries. The DJI GO app will alert you if they need to be updated. The battery that was in your Phantom when you upgraded the Phantom firmware was also upgraded at the same time.

Ok, so the firmware does not need to be on the card for app to see if they need to be updated ? Then they are ok.

Ok, so the firmware does not need to be on the card for app to see if they need to be updated ? Then they are ok.
You really needn't even switch on the RC or app when upgrading the quad and batteries.

Reactions: Karanba
Okay...here's what happened with mine.

1) Inserted the SD with bin finle
2) Inserted the battery
3) Turned on Phanton
4) It made the D-D-D sound
5) Camera LED blinked green then red (once)
6) Then herd the D-DD sound (once)
7) Then sold green LED

Attached is my txt file but I don't see that the battery was successfully updated. Matter of fact I don't even see anything with today's date.

Attachments

• P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 385
Attached is my txt file but I don't see that the battery was successfully updated. Matter of fact I don't even see anything with today's date.
Nothing is written to the TXT log file when firmware is installed on the battery. I just removed that step from my instructions above.

Nothing is written to the TXT log file when firmware is installed on the battery. I just removed that step from my instructions above.
Okay. So i should be okay?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen