How to install extended landing gear?

Reaction score
please help, how to install Tall Landing Gear for DJI Phantom 2 Vision Wide and High Ground Clearance.
if you have video please share thanks..

err,

remove compass, unclip cable,
undo the screws, put the new one in place tighten up the screws.

move the compass to new leg

robinb said:
err,

remove compass, unclip cable,
undo the screws, put the new one in place tighten up the screws.

move the compass to new leg

do you have a video? what about the wires in the landing gear is it sensitive?

no i don't have video

takes about 5 minutes to do.

don't use a screw driver that has magnetism in for undoing the compass.

remove the tape on original gear and reuse on new, you can feed the compass plug through easy enough in the hole if turned sideways a bit.

Geert said:
robinb said:
takes about 5 minutes to do.

Right, no more than 5 minutes.
I switched from the standard landing gear to the wider landing gear and after a week back to the standard.
Very easy to do.

;)

Geert./.

why you go back angain to the standard? thanks

Geert said:
Morgon said:
Geert said:
I switched from the standard landing gear to the wider landing gear and after a week back to the standard.
Just out of curiosity, why did you switch back?

With the larger landing gear it was too tight in my case and I just bought a new case.
Now I extended the original lading gear myself with 1.5 cm

Geert./.

But the wider landing gear is more stable than the stock one right?
what about the wires connected to the hole of the landing gear is it sensitive?

Geert said:
Mannyx said:
But the wider landing gear is more stable than the stock one right?
what about the wires connected to the hole of the landing gear is it sensitive?

Yes, correct, it is more stable but with the taller landing gear it did not fit in my case, it was too tight.
The wires are not so sensitive but do it gentle and you will not have any problems.

Geert./.

thank you very much.... do i need a protector plate for my camera and gimbal? now i will use the wider gear..wider gear.. prone to hit the gimbal and the camera?

well i fitted the wider gear, and have only just now flown for the first time with it on. yes it is more stable left to right, but front to back it is slightly worse, caused i think by the fact that that dimension is the same as stock gear but because the weight/CG/leverage is now higher it ends up less stable. today was my first ever tip over upon landing!! i tried to control it and got into a bit of a seasaw motion but eventually it toppled over with no damage thanks to having prop guards fitted. i have put in a post elsewhere that now it is wider it could also be longer and still remain out of view of the camera. and i'm sticking with that suggestion DJI if you're reading this?!! how ever much you added to width you could add roughly the same to length . but just wide only with extra height hurts stabillity as far as i'm concerned. it does however keep the camera out of the grass which i guess is the main purpose of taller gear.

locoworks said:
well i fitted the wider gear, and have only just now flown for the first time with it on. yes it is more stable left to right, but front to back it is slightly worse, caused i think by the fact that that dimension is the same as stock gear but because the weight/CG/leverage is now higher it ends up less stable. today was my first ever tip over upon landing!! i tried to control it and got into a bit of a seasaw motion but eventually it toppled over with no damage thanks to having prop guards fitted. i have put in a post elsewhere that now it is wider it could also be longer and still remain out of view of the camera. and i'm sticking with that suggestion DJI if you're reading this?!! how ever much you added to width you could add roughly the same to length . but just wide only with extra height hurts stabillity as far as i'm concerned. it does however keep the camera out of the grass which i guess is the main purpose of taller gear.

As sugggested on this forum the hand catch may be the answer. I have just installed the long legs and will try the hand catch as the longer legs kee me away from the rotor blades ( I also have prop guards for safety). On a ground landing I shall try whenever possible to make sure I land with the legs pointing parallel to the wind. This should make the Phantom less prone to tip over I would think.

Greetings,
I also have the longer / wider landing skids but swapping out the original is not as straightforward as it used to be. I have the 'version 3' phantom vision 2+ with the new compass sensor configuration. It is not secured via a clamp/clip and some screws. It is injection molded to the landing skid. My question is, is it safe to use a dremmel tool to separate the plastic housing from the landing gear and just zip-tie it to the new gear the same distance from the body of the craft?
I've been told that in the future the 'molded' configuration is going to be used on all of their phantoms and if you need to replace the compass, you need to purchase the landing gear.

v/r
Kevin

I've had approximately 25 flight since my purchase... and zero landings that were not conducted by hand. Prop strikes were a concern early on, but it's just too easy, and safer for the equipment, in my estimation.

Eventually, I'll give RTH an opportunity, but my typical flight area isn't conducive to landings.

I extended the bottom of my landing gear with bamboo skewers and small zip ties. No tip-overs at all and very sturdy.

do you have a video? what about the wires in the landing gear is it sensitive?

You mean the antenna wires? Just leave them hanging straight down. Don't try to tuck them into the new legs.

-- Roger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues