HOW TO: Install copper foil shield (fix low satellite count)

Re: (delete this)

msinger said:
capodrone81, pipe down -- or, the admins will be coming after you for your signature next ;)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Edit. I can assure all members of this site not one decal has been sold. Lol :lol:

Hah... I'm kidding (hopefully). I guess we have to wait and see what the rules are for signatures. Still haven't seen them.

msinger said:
Hah... I'm kidding (hopefully). I guess we have to wait and see what the rules are for signatures. Still haven't seen them.

Hey if I gotta remove it cause the mans not happy, no problem its not my sandbox to say no...

But

It would be wise to reward members that contribute regularly and introduce innovation, and if that means letting them throw a link up because its helping the hobby so be it . Again just my .02

capodrone81 said:
its not my sandbox to say no
Exactly.

I'm just here to build sand castles...

Then keep building my friend keep building. Forum needs members like you.

msinger said:
I just like learning about Phantoms -- and, sharing my knowledge.

But, since you mentioned it...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cDLZqe735k[/youtube]

LOL :lol: . Check your PM.

Re: HOW TO: Install copper foil shield (fix low satellite co

Thanks, TJ :cool:

To the members following this thread the crisis has hopefully been averted.
I contacted the owner who has agreed to let msinger keep on doin' his thing links and all. ;)

Crisis averted. Scoot back in your chair a bit though... the new photos are a little larger on the first page.

LuvMyTJ said:
To the members following this thread the crisis has hopefully been averted.
I contacted the owner who has agreed to let msinger keep on doin' his thing links and all. ;)

Good call, I applaud the position of the board.... now only if our politicians acted the same reasonable way this world would be a. Much better place...

Their needs to be a beer emoji so I can buy a round for the board ! :mrgreen: :geek:

Phantom help. Com and phantompilots.com ruling everything DJI. GREAT COLLABORATION! :lol:

I've got to say whoever this owner is makes some questionable decisions about "advertising" on his site. It really turns me off every time it happens (which is a lot!). Never seen anything like it on any other forum. I'd have to imagine for a site like this revenue is usually driven by selling ad space. I don't get the draconian rules about members' signatures etc. Every time a post is moved or deleted I wonder if there is a better forum to frequent for this hobby.

msinger said:
Crisis averted. Scoot back in your chair a bit though... the new photos are a little larger on the first page.

So was that a 1986 Mercedes 190e? :lol:

And I brought the beer!

boys-night-out-smiley-emoticon.gif

Fellow flyers - I found this on Ebay...copper, cut to shape, adhesive on the underside, and non-conductive coated on the top side. Much easier, and my install went perfectly:

DJI Phantom Vision Plus + 1 2 FC40 Copper shield non conductive coating

Ebay item number 131433585562 & 131437689311

robinb, what is your shield made from?

self adhesive copper with a clear plastic film over the top.

In Ham radio, people tend to ground their copper shielding. Has anyone consider grounding the copper tape to the quad grounding circuit?

toenee said:
In Ham radio, people tend to ground their copper shielding. Has anyone consider grounding the copper tape to the quad grounding circuit?

I have never had to perform this mod.
I posed that question a while ago.

But above about 30MHz ungrounded shields offer substantial attenuation a compared to non-shielded construction(s).

It seems empirically and anecdotally that the need to ground the foil is not necessary to achieve the required results.

I decided to remod mine with 2 inch wide copper foil, single side adhesive. I replaced the aluminum I had in there before. I first lifted the factory shield and laid the cable under that and repressed it down nice and snug. I then carefully measured 4 pieces and laid them down perpendicular to each other paying close attention to going over the plastic ribs and laying it down nice and flat and snug. Since the foil is 2 inches wide the four pieces completely covered the whole area leaving no gaps or patches needed. In fact most of the area especially over the gps itself has 4 layers of new foil. I then covered it with clear 2 inch wide packing tape in the exact same pattern for insulation. Needless to say I am ecstatic with how it turned out. I got 9 sats in my driveway where I got 6 or 7 before. I think the 2 inch wide stuff works best because the coverage is so complete with the fewest pieces. The only thing better is the solid single piece but that's no fun.

N017RW said:
toenee said:

I have never had to perform this mod.
I posed that question a while ago.

But above about 30MHz ungrounded shields offer substantial attenuation a compared to non-shielded construction(s).

It seems empirically and anecdotally that the need to ground the foil is not necessary to achieve the required results.

We did have HunterSK ground the copper shielding, he saw no improvement by doing so. Link to thread discussing his process for grounding..

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33453#p308547

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers