How to improve Daylight Visibility of the Phantom II?

Reaction score
Hi ALL,
I am new to the forum and a relatively new Phantom flyer. I am an American living in Beijing, which, if you watch the news, has notoriously polluted air. This means gray skies and limited visibility most of the time. It also means it is very easy to lose sight of my Phantom as if gets further up and away.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what works to improve daylight visibility of the Phantom? I am thinking to paint it black with model aircraft paint and also to try one of the aftermarket white LED headlights. Has anyone tried these and do they work? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Smoggy in Beijing

I've considered the use of reflective tape around the top of the shell and around thee arms on one side. That way if you get all mixed up on the orientation of the aircraft your can just rotate until you see the reflection.

Thanks for the feedback Ozzyguy. I'll think about the reflective tape. But here I am not so much concerned about losing track of the Phantom's orientation. It is more about completely losing sight of it as it blends in with the gray skies. Depth perception goes out the window pretty quickly and sometimes cannot see it visually at all.

Peanut said:
Thanks for the feedback Ozzyguy. I'll think about the reflective tape. But here I am not so much concerned about losing track of the Phantom's orientation. It is more about completely losing sight of it as it blends in with the gray skies. Depth perception goes out the window pretty quickly and sometimes cannot see it visually at all.

I think a strobe light might be more effective than permanent LED. The flash can be stronger and easier to get noticed by peripheral vision. They are used a lot in general aviation for that exact reason but you have to find a solution that is light enough to put on a quad.

Maher

One thing I've done to increase my visibility without modding anything is to wear yellow shooters glasses. Yes, those yellow protective glasses you see many wearing at the range. It cuts back on the visual yellow (obviously) and makes it easy to pick my UAV up even when she was up almost 400 feet today. Even behind a white background (clouds).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20