How to Hand-Take-OFF?

Reaction score
I learned how to properly hand catch the drone, but yesterday when trying to fly it off my balcony, and when it hit a small cloth hanging on there,(motor obstructed error. but after flew like a charm. nothing to worry about?) i understood that i need to learn hand release tactic. How do i do it? I tried it once, i just dont have enough confidence that if i let it go it will stay in air + its hard to take off with one hand and hold the bird with another.
How do you guys do it?

+1, Really bad idea.

Take off is the most unstable part of flight.

My back deck is about 15 ft above the backyard and has a handrail around it.

I have launched from there and landed/hand caught there numerous times but it's not worth it. Just too many weird air patterns/trees/etc.

I still hand catch mostly but self hand launching would be doable but tricky.
You could use a RC neck/chest strap and use one hand to hold drone and other to CSC start.

Sure hope you don't do this in an apt. building over people and street below. I am on an island in a big lake and if I pooch my launch it falls in the backyard or the lake.

Straight over head both hands holding level.

Slightly safer with an assistant but the OP implied he was solo in which case using both hands would be difficult.

I do it all the time. Hold the back left leg with right hand and give it stick up with left thumb slowly until you feel the weight come off, then release and hammer the gas. Works every time!

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I do it all the time. Hold the back left leg with right hand and give it stick up with left thumb slowly until you feel the weight come off, then release and hammer the gas. Works every time!

hqdefault.jpg

Ouch. That's gonna leave a unique scar.

hqdefault.jpg
Makeup. Looks pretty real though.

You can set it down at first while it initiates and sets home, then hold it up to actually take off.
I've done it once or twice when there was just too much long grass and bushy stuff close to the blades.
It definitely feels more risky than catching on landing - something to avoid but not to be scared of exactly.

If you are in an apartment/house/condo, why not just get a cheap bar stool (hard-surfaced) and takeoff from that?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Use auto takeoff. I prefer not to hand launch but have two locations where I couldn't get a good launch point (reinforced concrete roof on top of building).

I wonder if this motor obstructed issue was the cause of your later ESC error?

I never felt the need of hand-take off as if I don't find a free open space, I don't fly it. One should not be so desperate to fly from every corner, go out and try. At least thats not a fun for me.I carry a 18" x 18" x 1/4" board always with me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31