How to get your equipment crushed when traveling by air

Spearing of, I'll be flying southwest 2hr flight in a couple days. I mistakenly charged my batteries. Do I have to discharge them? And if so will 50% be OK or so I need to lower them to 8%?

50% is fine and where they should be anyway if not flying within 24 hours.

Best advice is to carry-on. Batteries should be always in the cabin and around 50% charged.

Check with your airline for carry-on size. A backpack works great in the overhead!

Thanks guys. Any idea how to drain 3 100% batteries in a day if I can't fly? What will happen if I carry them on carry on at full capacity?

Its ironic how these $200-$300 cases are meant to protect the phantom.
Many million posts ago, a member on the forum blamed poor baggage handling when he checked in his Phantom in a ABS case (I cant recall the brand). His Gimbal was actually crushed from the compression.
My theory is that when the plane takes off, the ABS case expands like a balloon. With that amount of pressure, some air slowly escapes and the ABS case then equalises after a few hours and the case goes back to its normal shape. Then when descending at a fast rate, the ABS case is then crushed by the outward pressure.

Its best practice to carry on the phantom and batteries. Leave your screws and tools to be checked in.

Its ironic how these $200-$300 cases are meant to protect the phantom.
Many million posts ago, a member on the forum blamed poor baggage handling when he checked in his Phantom in a ABS case (I cant recall the brand). His Gimbal was actually crushed from the compression.
My theory is that when the plane takes off, the ABS case expands like a balloon. With that amount of pressure, some air slowly escapes and the ABS case then equalises after a few hours and the case goes back to its normal shape. Then when descending at a fast rate, the ABS case is then crushed by the outward pressure.

Its best practice to carry on the phantom and batteries. Leave your screws and tools to be checked in.

Your just a bit backwards. The airplanes cabin is pressurized and if the o-ring were left in place on a waterproof case it couldn't equalize therefore compress. But I guess it works differently in the AU. :D

Your just a bit backwards. The airplanes cabin is pressurized and if the o-ring were left in place on a waterproof case it couldn't equalize therefore compress. But I guess it works differently in the AU. :D

Yeah maybe..
I've bought air sealed foil bag chips on board and it expanded like a balloon at 30 000 ft. When landed, the chip bag deflated like a flat tyre. I guess it depends where you take off and land - different altitudes = different pressures.

I've also noted on different planes, my ears gets blocked for hours when they don't equalise the pressure in the cabin on landing.

This shows that the cabin pressure is never kept at a consistent 8000 ft sea level.

Last edited:
Yeah maybe..
I've bought air sealed foil bag chips on board and it expanded like a balloon at 30 000 ft. When landed, the chip bag deflated like a flat tyre. I guess it depends where you take off and land - different altitudes = different pressures.

I've also noted on different planes, my ears gets blocked for hours when they don't equalise the pressure in the cabin on landing.

This shows that the cabin pressure is never kept at a consistent 8000 ft sea level.

The same thing would happen to Tradecraft hardcase if the o-ring were not removed the trapped air inside the case would cause it to expand on ascent and compress on descent similar to your bag of chips. Someone post that happening to his P2 case on a flight some time ago.

Crack prevention:

PZREYVJ.png

jT25HSu.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31