How to get the 2013 Nexus 7 to work well with the Phantom 3 Pro?

Mine works great make sure WiFi is off, but I also upgraded to Android 6.0 marshmallow.

Assuming you have the latest version of Android installed, of course.
Before flight:
  • Set it in airplane mode (no WiFi, no network, no GPS, etc).
  • Stop all running apps. (tap the square icon at bottom and then close all open apps)
  • Make sure the USB cable is not running near the antennas.
Works great for my Nexus 7 2013 with the P3P.

Android 6 (Marshmallow) is currently being pushed out to all Nexus devices 2013 and newer, including the Asus Nexus 7 2013, all over the world.
This may change the performance, for better or worse.
Google claims lower latency with Android 6, so maybe the Nexus 7 2013 is getting even better for this usage. :cool:

I've had issues with Nexus 7 2013 16gb WiFi as well. Tried all above suggestions, including factory resets, installing latest Android version, disabling google play services (was not a good idea) downgrading and upgrading google play service versions, etc etc. but still had extreme lag and pixelation.
What solved it for me was rooting it using Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.5 | WugFresh
Why this should work I don't know . I was actually going to install a custom ROM after that but for now I'm happy.

Hardware decode? Is that on DJI GO or the Nexus 7? Can't find any reference to it anywhere. From what I see, the NExus 7 2013 is not capable of decoding video fast enough...I tried everything...

I've had issues with Nexus 7 2013 16gb WiFi as well. Tried all above suggestions, including factory resets, installing latest Android version, disabling google play services (was not a good idea) downgrading and upgrading google play service versions, etc etc. but still had extreme lag and pixelation.
What solved it for me was rooting it using Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.5 | WugFresh
Why this should work I don't know . I was actually going to install a custom ROM after that but for now I'm happy.

Are you saying that simply Rooting the Nexus 7 2013 made is able to decode incoming video better? Or, did you change developer-level settings? Tnx! Bob

Some claim that enabling developer mode made the screen smoother and more responsive.
Even without actually turning on any of the developer options.

Enabling developer mode like this:

Go to Settings > About tablet (it’s just About on a phone), find Build number.
Touch that seven (7) times in a row, it will start counting after 3rd time or so.
And, then you will get a “you’re now a developer”.

That’s it. Easy, huh?

After this, you can see a new entry "Developer options" in the settings page, just above the "About tablet" entry.
There is no need to turn on any of the options in the "Developer options" menu. Just having developer mode turned on is enough.

Are you saying that simply Rooting the Nexus 7 2013 made is able to decode incoming video better? Or, did you change developer-level settings? Tnx! Bob
I had already enabled developer options before rooting, enabled USB debugging, tried different Hardware accelerated rendering options, but nothing removed the lag.
I ran out of options to try - that's why as a last resort, I decided to install a custom ROM (and risk bricking the Nexus). And to install these roms you need a rooted device.
So I rooted using the software in the link I posted above (and crossing my fingers I would not brick the Nexus) and prior going on with a ROM installation I made a quick check on the Phantom - and it finally worked. So I can only deduct that something during that rooting process cured the lag.

Flown 70+ flights on nexus 7 2013! .....close all apps run only dji go or litchi, litchi defo better!!,... USB debugging OFF....switch ON aeroplane mode... 3 things I always do with my nexus, running p3p on Android lollipop

I've used a Nexus 7 2013 16GB (WiFi) with no problems. (Well, actually I did recently run into an Android bug where recent flight records weren't accessible over a USB connection, but using ES File Explorer works around that.)

I've followed the most common advice: disable video caching, run in airplane mode and turn off USB debuggiong. Airplane mode disables wifi, bluetooth and cellular (if so equipped), but not GPS so you can use Follow Me mode. From what I've read about Android, disabling apps may be counter-productive so I haven't bothered with that.

Many people believe video glitches and app crashes are due to the processor getting too warm, which causes its speed to be throttled. Video decoding in software is the most processor-intensive aspect of the GO app and so most likely to cause that. If hardware decoding is not supported by the app, then I'd expect that selecting a lower video bandwidth would proportionately reduce the processor load. Depending on how the app is coded, flying in map instead of video mode might also help.

To see if your processor temperature is an issue, I recommend the free CPU Temp app. It can overlay the CPU temperature onto the GO app screen.

Reactions: 43k
You may be correct that follow me doesn't work in airplane mode -- I'll have to recheck that -- but I'm certain that it does not disable the Nexus 7 GPS. Airplane mode stops transmitting by a device, at least the relatively high powered cellular radio, but GPS just uses a receiver. Apparently some versions of IOS also disabled GPS in airplane mode, but as far as I know this has not been the case in Android devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.