How to get the 2013 Nexus 7 to work well with the Phantom 3 Pro?

Reaction score
I've got the Asus Nexus 7 2013 model with LTE and Android 5.1.1 and the Phantom 3 Professional

The video feed is super choppy even when the tablet is sitting beside the Phantom.

And in one of the settings it says "Safe to Fly: No GPS" but the GPS should be turned on on the Nexus...

Any tips from people with the Nexus 7 2013 and Phantom 3 Pro?

Last edited:
I've got the Asus Nexus 7 2013 model with LTE and Android 5.1.1 and the Phantom 3 Professional
The video feed is super choppy even when the tablet is sitting beside the Phantom.

And in one of the settings it says "Safe to Fly: No GPS" but the GPS should be turned on on the Nexus...
When it shows Safe to Fly: No GPS, that's telling you that the Phantom doesn't have satellite lock - not your tablet.
I'm not sure what the issue is with the Nexus and video.
Mine just worked perfectly from the start.

The Nexus 7 should not even have been able to install the APP as it is not compatible with the P3's.
Mine at least said it was incompatible with the DJI App. Even when brand new they were overhyped and underperforming. No surprised about the bad performance. You coudl try manually lowering the bitrate to the minimum , see if that makes it better.

The Nexus 7 should not even have been able to install the APP as it is not compatible with the P3's.
Mine at least said it was incompatible with the DJI App.
Perhaps you have the 1st version.
The OP specifically mentioned the 2013 version and DJI list that as being compatible.
Many members here use it as it's one of the best value compatible tablets for the P3.

Reactions: bodine
When it shows Safe to Fly: No GPS, that's telling you that the Phantom doesn't have satellite lock - not your tablet.
I'm not sure what the issue is with the Nexus and video.
Mine just worked perfectly from the start.

Yeah. I'm not sure what's going on. Other past posts have even said that people did a complete factory reset of the Nexus, installed ONLY the DJI app, upgraded the Phantom firmware, and it still doesn't work. Then they do it again (the exact same steps) and it magically works.

Mine is packed full with apps and working perfectly. But ... Choppy video 'even' close to the p3, I can say: choppy video 'when' close to the p3
At some distance it is perfect. Rumor has it that next apps will use hardware video decoding like the litchi app. At large distances I get some artifacts or indeed some disturbance in the dji go app, but litchi not and for the moment I suspect the hardware decoding in litchi really helps.

Quick question: the GPS on another Nexus 7 2013 of mine doesn't work very well. It's safe to say that the GPS receiver is just completely borked and it won't ever get a GPS lock.

Is GPS on the tablet critical if the Phantom already has its own GPS for guidance and you're not doing any kind of "follow me" flying?

Mine is packed full with apps and working perfectly. But ... Choppy video 'even' close to the p3, I can say: choppy video 'when' close to the p3
At some distance it is perfect. Rumor has it that next apps will use hardware video decoding like the litchi app. At large distances I get some artifacts or indeed some disturbance in the dji go app, but litchi not and for the moment I suspect the hardware decoding in litchi really helps.

The actual video feed is done through a direct WiFi connection between the Phantom and the tablet, right?

Is GPS on the tablet critical if the Phantom already has its own GPS for guidance and you're not doing any kind of "follow me" flying?
GPS on the tablet is only used for follow me or dynamic home point.
It has nothing to do with the P3's flight.
The actual video feed is done through a direct WiFi connection between the Phantom and the tablet, right?
No .. There is no wifi on the P3 Advanced or Pro.
Video feed to the tablet comes from the controller via cable.

The best way is to sell it and get one of the approved and highly recommended devices.

Many months later, I'm still running into stupid issues on my Android. You can beat your head against the wall, get it to "acceptable" level, but it's never going to be great. Eventually you will give up, and panic if you get gapps/whatever error and app crashes when it is not LOS.

No .. There is no wifi on the P3 Advanced or Pro.
Video feed to the tablet comes from the controller via cable.

Oh, I guess I meant that the frequency it uses for control and video feed is 2.4GHz, which is the same frequency as WiFi. I guess that's where I'm a bit confused.

So the video signal goes from the Phantom's camera to the Phantom's controller. From the controller the video feed goes from the controller to the tablet via a USB cable. This is what's I'm confused about - why is the video laggy if it's not an issue with the wireless bandwidth? The USB bandwidth between controller and tablet should be more than enough to sustain a smooth video feed, no?

The best way is to sell it and get one of the approved and highly recommended devices.

Many months later, I'm still running into stupid issues on my Android. You can beat your head against the wall, get it to "acceptable" level, but it's never going to be great. Eventually you will give up, and panic if you get gapps/whatever error and app crashes when it is not LOS.

Well, the Nexus II / 2013 is on the list of approved devices.

Where is the list of "highly recommended / guaranteed to work" devices? Are all of them Apple?

nexus 7. 2013 does work with p3p and IS approved device...Android Version v2.3.0. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Z3 EXPERIA, MI 3, MI PAD.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues...
Put it in aeroplane mode , close all other apps so only dji go is running,, ! Been using nexus 7 2013 for 70 flights so can I can tell you it works

sometimes my Nexus 7 2013 would forced closed and the app restart. I just start it again and everything works.

Not really had a problem with mine, are you using the USB cable they supply?
Alternative ones seem to be not always good enough, the only time I saw the feed breaking up was when I used a different one because the original was accidentally left at home.

You can reduce the feed bitrate to lowest setting and - it is still good - but should be easier for it to keep up.

I use this tablet with both DJI Go and Litchi. Very pleased with it, no video anomalies at all.

Have you tried a different cable? I've seen mention that cables have caused some people video problems.

Well, the Nexus II / 2013 is on the list of approved devices.

Where is the list of "highly recommended / guaranteed to work" devices? Are all of them Apple?
Agree. I have a Nexus 7 2013 and it works flawlessly. I just disable un-needed apps and put it in airplane mode. I guess if you want to spend 3 or 4 times as much for an apple device to get a slight improvement in performance the apple phan boys can have at it.

make sure you're running google play services 8.1.15 or higher.

Use Hardware Decoding. I have the same tablet and the feed is much better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I also use Asus Nexus 7 2013. I was having problems with the video feed cutting out from time to time. I still had problems even though I used airplane mode and stopped certain programs.

What worked for me is turning on McAfee antivirus and cleaning memory before flying. Sounds counter intuitive but I've now had 4 flights without the video choppiness that I used to have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic