How to get live view on remote

SJS

Reaction score
Hi

I´m new to all this and I´m hoping to get som answers here :)

My wife is kind enough to buy me what I´ve been wishing for for some time, a dji phantom :)
So by christmas I´ll hav an dji phantom v. 1.1.1.

I will also buy a gopro hero 3 or gopro hero 3+, haven´t decided yet witch one.

My question is:
I would really like to see live video from my flights on the ground, and controll the gopro (take pics) what is the best way to do this??
-Is there a monitor I can buy and mount on the remote?
-Can I use Gopro hero 3+ wi-fi and use my iphone as a monitor ? (read somewhere that I should not use other wi-fi devices with the phantom).
-other solutions…. ?

(I know this would not be a problem if just buy the Vision, but that´s not an option for me.)

Hope to hear from some of you experts :D

Thanks in advance

I'll step forward and be kind here my friend. Welcome to the world of the Phantom.

Firstly the Wifi option on the GoPro is an out and out no no as the Phantom manual will tell you (and I beg of you PLEASE read this carefully). Be warned further questioning on this will get you shot down in flames on here... just don't lol

You will need an FPV setup and my suggestion would be the Fatshark Predator v2 setup. These are goggles that you wear that allow you to see out of the camera. You will need a special Hero3 cable too to get the output from the Phantom.

Yes you can buy a monitor if you prefer but be sure it allows static. You can attach the monitor to the goggles.

You should do a LOT of research on here and online on FPV (first person view) first and make your own decisions. :D

Your looking at some money for good vids (fpv) and cam . I would fly for some time get use to the phantom so you don't lose your extras and phantom . A gimbal is going to give you the best vids $100 -$370 . Fpv $250 up all on what your looking for . GoPro $400 if you get the 3+ good class 10 card around $70 . I have the H3black and had a 3+ black I was not real happy with the vids off the 3+ on the phantom I gave it to my Nice for x-mas .i have had the H3B since it came out and only had a couple issues witch where both caused by a cheap class 10 card .no problems since I got a good card .
Like stated above DO NOT use WIFI .
I am still new to DJI this is just my opinion do some research on the different gimbals and FPV setups .
Good Luck a lot of good people on this forum to help out .

Yes, welcome!

To answer your question, yes it is entirely possible to watch your video feed on the ground while you're flying..You can have really good video, or really bad video, it's entirely dependant on how much money you want to spend.

Here's the third ( and probably last warning) NOT to use wifi on a GoPro on the Phantom. It will NOT end well.

GoPro 3 vs 3+. Known quality problems with 3+ video.

Get extra batteries for your Phantom with the first $100. of your accessory budget. Fly every chance you get between now and, say next March. That'll give you lots of time to;
-Fly....a lot
-Fly some more
-do TONS of research on FPV equipment BEFORE you buy, since you've got all this extra time to save up for good FPV gear
-Get so practice FLYING done.

Come next March...maybe April, start slowly buying your FPV gear. When you have it all together, start installing it.
Practice your flying. Start off your FPV flying from a BIG, EMPTY Field. No power lines, no light standards, no trees, no mountains, no buildings...NOTHING but you and your quad.

Don't try to start your first FPV flight from the ground. You will almost certainly scare the crap out of yourself, if you're lucky. If you're not, you'll scare the crap out of yourself AND break your quad.

Take it easy. FULLY understand how your Quad, and how your FPV work. Eventually you'll be talking about doing long distance or high altitude flying, but take it slowly and carefully. If you try to take on too much too soon, you'll fly bad, you'll buy bad when you buy FPV gear, and you'll be frustrated every time you try to get any video you want to actually look at. If you take your time, you will be AMAZED at the quality of footage this little quad and an even smaller camera can produce.

There are a couple of commercial videography firms that will be shooting a variety of sports in the 2014 Winter Olympics with Phantoms & GoPro's. It is an equipment combo MORE than capable of producing broadcast quality footage...IF YOU DO IT RIGHT!

Good luck! There is lots and lots of information, advice and expertise on the internet about FPV flying, and all of the assorted equipment

Thank you very much for your taking time to write the replies!!!
I really appreciate it!
I will do loads of online reasearches and be veeeery careful :)

Very useful and will definitely help me get startet with my phantom, witch I can´t wait to receive in the mail :D

Have a great holiday everybody

I bought the FatShark Attitude SD goggles in hopes of enjoying the full emersive effect of an FPV, but I'm hearing FPV goggles will not work with the Phantom 2 Vision.

Isn't there any way to configure high end goggles like these without affecting the flight in an negative way?

Thanks everyone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20