how to get commercial license

I'm sorry, but there is probably a lot more of the standard "aeronautical knowledge" material than you are expecting.
Probably, meaning you don't know for sure. When I went through to the end of the course it gave the option to go through 20 pages of questions on charts and such. I have to study that stuff, man, lol. I learned some things just from those questions though. But I'm lost on some of it, obviously. The exam didn't include it. I'm not completely sold the actual exam will include it, or go very deep into it, frankly. We'll see. I won't have the time to be in the early test takers. It sure will be interesting to hear what they say was on their exams, and what to plan for.

Hi, shockwave. No disrespect meant, but actually I do "know for sure". There is a document called the ACS which spells out exactly what will be on the test.

The FAA is really clear that the online ALC-451 is for Part 61 pilots. It ignores about 70% of the ACS for them (because they've already taken and passed tests on that 70% for previous certificates). Anyone without any prior aeronautical knowledge whose only preparation is the ALC-451 course will fail the full Remote Pilot test.

If you want to know what will be on your test, the link to the ACS is on my post about 3 back.

Look guys, if you aren't already a manned-aircraft pilot (meaning you can go the ALC-451 route), there is no way for you adequately prepare for the upcoming full test on the cheap. I'm sorry, but there is probably a lot more of the standard "aeronautical knowledge" material than you are expecting.
proven wrong
Just so that others aren't confused, this mini-course is ONLY for Part 61 pilots. For non-pilots, it won't even come close to preparing you for the full Part 107 Knowledge Test. If a non-pilot preps using only this online FAA course, I can guarantee you that they will fail the test.
WRONG! Lots of stuff to pass the test without all the BS. Prove me wrong. I have said this from the beginning, yet you want to fear monger people on the simple test.

proven wrong

WRONG! Lots of stuff to pass the test without all the BS. Prove me wrong.

If you think the online test (Which is only for Part 61 certificate holders) is preparing anyone for the FULL test I'd be willing to bet you that you're going to be pretty upset about wasting that $150 for the first test.

The online test is but a small portion of the total test that Part 107 will include. The reason it's so small is because if you're already a Part 61 certificate holder then you've already demonstrated the Knowledge matter and passed that test. Once you've passed it why would have to prove it again?

No one here is wanting to "prove you wrong" but actually trying to provide some help and insight to maybe save you some time and $$.

And the ACS states how much of the tests each element will comprise. the Part 107 Rules are only 15-25% of the tests. which is what the Part 61 test covers.The rest will be from all that other 'stuff' that your basic UAS hobby pilot won't know and will need to study. IMHO, the FAA has been pretty open about what they expect and no one should be surprised when they take the test over what the test covers - now how well one has prepared for it is another matter altogether. M1shootr may think of it as a 'simple' test, but in my experience, these types of tests are anything but. And remember, 60 questions and 2 hours to complete the test. that's 2 minutes a question and some of the questions might take that long just to read, reference the chart and understand what the question is asking. I seriously doubt that the FAA will use any trick questions, but the material can be complex enough that they will require careful reading and proper preparation.

Reactions: Rasit
I am a licensed pilot although not current due to a medical condition, and I have already put in 10-15 hours studying the material just as a refresher and to enhance my chances of passing the first time. With that, I usually get around 90% on the various sample tests that i use for review. I'll be reviewing right up to when I walk into the test center.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have found that they don't use trick questions but do anticipate common errors or other decision factors and place that result as an answer. Meaning, that as you formulate the answer (incorrectly) just seeing your result as a possible choice does not mean you have solved it correctly. Or put another way, they anticipate the mistake(s) and provide that result as a choice.

All the more reason the KNOW the material going in!!

I have found that they don't use trick questions but do anticipate common errors or other decision factors and place that result as an answer. Meaning, that as you formulate the answer (incorrectly) just seeing your result as a possible choice does not mean you have solved it correctly. Or put another way, they anticipate the mistake(s) and provide that result as a choice.

Very well said! That's precisely right. Common yet incorrect answers to the questions can be listed as an option. Just because you see what you got as an answer (Which is usually a good sign on other tests) does not indicate a correct answer but a "common" answer.

I still remember sitting at the testing center for my full ticket and feeling the sweat running down my back as I took the test. I was nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair test facility LOL.

proven wrong

WRONG! Lots of stuff to pass the test without all the BS. Prove me wrong. I have said this from the beginning, yet you want to fear monger people on the simple test.

You said I was "proven wrong" when I said the ALC-451 course will not prepare you to pass the full Part 107 test. I would be very interested to see this proof.

The fact is that I am right. All you have to do is look at the ACS and you'll see that about 75% of the items it lists are not covered in the ALC-451. But hey, if you think the test is going to be that easy, knock yourself out.

Reactions: N017RW
Man you really are a piece. Did I happen to mention I ACED the test? Yea but I wasn't prepared.

Listen, we're ALL in this together so why so abrasive to fellow UAS operators?
So, what is your point? It is still a test a 9th grade high schooler can pass. i'm not being abrasive. I'm pointing out the fact that this test is just like all govt tests. Multiple choice, many answers already published , and common sense.

Last edited:
So, what is your point?

No point. This thread has dipped into the ditches and I'm no longer entertained with your antics. I'll kindly step aside and leave you to play in there alone.

Safe flights :)

To be fair, a 9th grader could pass the full Private Pilot Written Test and the Instrument Pilot Written Test - if he studied. None of these aviation tests are difficult, but as I keep saying, no one is born with this knowledge. You have to prepare. The material is easy, BUT there is a lot of it. You cannot pass without studying the proper material.

To be fair, a 9th grader could pass the full Private Pilot Written Test and the Instrument Pilot Written Test - if he studied. None of these aviation tests are difficult, but as I keep saying, no one is born with this knowledge. You have to prepare. The material is easy, BUT there is a lot of it. You cannot pass without studying the proper material.

Well said. But a little seat time helps too, right?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BigAl07
I seriously doubt that you will need any of the E6-B functions except for the slide rule. Nothing that I have seen indicates that wind triangles, true vs indicated airspeed ,etc. would be on the test. IN general, when you show up for any pilot test, the E6-B and a few very simple calculators are the only devices that you are allowed to use (no programable or multiple memory functions). That being said, I'll probably take mine when I go, just in case!
It will be more important IMHO to be able to figure out how temperature and other factors affect the density altitude (higher temperature increases pressure altitude and that along with increasing humidity increase density altitude. The net effect is that aircraft lift is reduced at higher density altitude and for sUAV's that would most likely be manifest in shorter flight times because the motors have to work harder. This is something not figured into some of the mission planning apps.
E6B would be absurd!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers