How To Get Clearest/Sharpest Photo Question

Reaction score
I am torn between buying the vision or phantom 2 and use go pro.

My goal is to take photos of golf courses for a hobby website.

Seems like the vision is great for controlling shots and instant photos but the phantom with gopro might give best photo quality.

How are people getting the sharpest/best photos?

1) Settings in gopro? (take photos every few seconds? Any other settings?

2) Shoot video and do an export of photo or screen shot.

I resize my photos to 975x350 but want them to have a professional quality to them. (not look like they were taken with a first generation smart phone)

Any help would be appreciated...settings, workflow, etc. Other things to ponder.

The GoPro is superior to the the Vision's camera, but if you are going to downsample the pictures, the Vision would be an OK choice. When you snap a picture with the Phantom Vision, the picture is stored in the memory card in the camera, not in your phone. The picture quality isn't too bad.

If you want to go with a GoPro, it's not recommended to remotely control the GoPro camera wirelessly. So you need to configure the camera to shoot every few seconds. The Hero3 can even take pictures while shooting video.

Hope this helps. :D

I was asking myself the same question....and went with GoPro.

Reason....I can also use GoPro without the Phantom...for other fun things!

Hi all, just to add to the conversation, I've bought a P2V to teach myself to fly and hopefully get some good stills into the bargain. I'm really happy with the little flying I've been able to do so far - wind speeds of +25mph make it unwise so I'm doing more reading than flying.... I am hoping to be able to take shots of architecture details for a project I'm working on but so far I'm not happy with the quality of the photo's I'm getting. I'm want to be able to use shots without having to go to Photoshop. I'm using the settings suggested by BenDronePilot - For picture taking you have to go to a different setting which is to select between Small Medium and Large. That changes field of view for your pictures altho even at small it is a slightly wider field of view than 90 degree. and I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to improve the picture quality? Or should I just wait until I can fly well enough to risk buying a better piece of kit?

Partly a question of time. Part of my project will involve showing images 'in the field', and I think it will take me too long to figure out how to improve the shots 'on the fly'. I don't know that much about Photoshop so i'm not even sure that I'll be able to overcome the pixellation issues?

There is no one answer to your question using a Phantom.

Hopefully, the DJI announcement that everyone is talking about on the 7th January might be closer to your dream setup.

In a perfect world….

You would have a 3d gimbal to reduce vibration and yaw, it's a tripod in the sky (even on a windless day the copter still moves around).

You need video downlink to frame your shot otherwise you are shooting blind.

Raw photos will give you far better scope for enhancement than a JPG.
(whats betting the next GoPro release can shoot in raw)

Photoshop is overkill for your needs I suspect, Light room is cheaper and will do the kind of image enhancement you need. Both offer automatic lens correction for the Visioin and GoPro 3 cameras; And let you set your colour workspace to optimise for either print or Web. You can also open and save RAW files as many times as you like without degrading image quality unlike JPG which suffers each time they are saved.

At the moment it is very much the case of do you start with a basic Phantom and build a setup no expense spared, or do you go for a simpler out of the box solution? Me… I am waiting for a Vision 3 with gimbal before I upgrade from my P1. And wouldn't it be nice if they offered an optical zoom!

Why not give us the link to your site and then we know exactly what you are trying to active - You don't need a limo to go to the supermarket!!!

PS. Just spotted a picture in that ultra-glossy mag 'Conde Nast Traveller' which has been obvioulsy shot from a Phantom (cannot say which one) and although it looks a bit muddy next to their other hi-end pics it is still in there!

Well golf course photography

My phot size is http://www.golfwisconsin.com/golfcourse ... cordid=526

I did not take these photos... These done from top of hill and from a bucket if an apple picker.

Here are photos from a gopro/phantom 1.
https://www.facebook.com/FairwaysofWoodside

I did see on adobe tv where Russell Preston stitches some photos together for awesome panoramas.

So I do not need a limo to go to the store but some of the phantom vision photos are terrible.

I own a gopro 3 black... I may buy phantom 2 and realize I can upgrade to the next series of gopro.

I will wait until after jan 7.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20