How to get best still image quality from Phantom?

Reaction score
Would anyone share tips for extracting the best still image quality from a Phantom 3? I shoot RAW and have around 10 years of experience with Photoshop and 5 years editing in Adobe Camera Raw. I've taken some decent shots but not as good as I've seen from some other pilots/photographers. I'm wondering if the better image quality I'm seeing in other shots is the result of conditions, better initial exposure, or better post-processing skills. I don't seem to have any balance issues with my rotor; flight and video are very stable.
One included question: do windy days play greatly into image quality due to movement? Nearly every time I've been out since receiving my P3 a month ago, I've encountered winds from 10-25 mph. Any and all comments are appreciated.

well first off I assume you are using a fast enough shutter speed for the conditions, usually not an issue in bright light. For sure shoot DNG, I am amazed at how much info you can get out of those files ( I use lightroom for this). I have not tried any polarizers on that camera yet. I also usually adjust my exposure to be .3 stops under exposed so not to blow out any hightlights. I run some sharpening in post as the DNGs seem a little soft for my taste. The biggest thing of course is to have good lighting and to compose you shots well, just as if you were shooting from the ground. Having that wide angle lens on the drone is both a blessing and a curse, sometimes I wish I could swap lens because even when you are close to a subject it still looks far away and filling the frame usually makes for a better shot than a lot of dead space in the frame. John

So far I think the photos don't look that good, the pictures I take out of the video look way better to me. Does anyone else agree? Does a snapshot from video look better than just taking a picture with drone? I'm shooting in full 4k too.

I don't have the technical capabilities of you guys, but I have noticed that when I send my P2V+ up I may get a mixture of stills and video, when I play them back in the sequence that I have shot them the video looks a better quality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic