How to fly phantom 4 without FPV?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to the phantom scene and have been flying RC helicopters before drones, or quad copters were really a thing. I ;purchased a phantom 4 from DJI the day they came out. After I took off the first time, I was amazed at how stable these quadcopters are, no drifting or compensating for wind was necessary. absolutely amazing!

I had some gimball issues on my phantom 4, and it eventually calibrated thank goodness. I found out the hard way that DJI will screw you over no matter what, so I'm stuck with what I have, even with horizon/gimball drift.

The point of my post here, though, is not to bash on DJI (dont buy directly from them, do apple) but to learn a little more about flying without FPV. Given the fact that my FPV has cut out (yes because line of sight was not achieved) but I could still control my drone until i got FPV back -literally at 1-200 yards away... sad how limited the technology still is.

This got me thinking. Can you somehow fly off the map in the app without FPV? It seems like this would be possible. Yeah i get that in a panic you could hit return to home and it will go to a certain height, then start flying back, but I am wanting to experiment flying just off the map to increase my comfort level flying without FPV, and not necessarily in line of sight. Seems like FPV wants to cut out well before you actually lose transmission range.

Thoughts?

Which would you prefer to lose first, FPV or control signal? One has to be the weakest and DJI have made it the obvious one, FPV.

I found out the hard way that DJI will screw you over no matter what, so I'm stuck with what I have, even with horizon/gimball drift.

Can you give us a clue what you found out about DJI screwing you over?

i explained to DJI that the gimbal would fail calibration repeatedly on flat surface, after noticing horizon was not level on my first flight. They responded by saying i would not be able to exchange or get a refund as i had already flown it. I responded that this was a defect, and they said I could only send it in to be repaired. I replied this was a manufacturing defect (gimball failing to calibrate) and that I did not want it repaired. Since it had been less than 7 calendar days since I had received the drone, and that it was a defect, that they needed to give me a refund. They flat out said no, and that since I had flown it, that it voided any refund possibility. what a joke!!!

Also, why dont you try answering my question, rather than grilling me about why DJI sucks as a predatory sales company? E.g. can you fly via the map in the absence of FPV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik