How to fly a straight line and film sideways

Reaction score
I need to film a 560' long Seawall. The canal is tight and I need to not fly manually do to how tight the area is where I walk and I don't want to be in the film. I have Litchi and DJI app. Is there a way to use an intelligent flight mode without using several POI's and waypoints to do this?

If it really is a straight line you need to follow, you could use course lock.
Point the quad down the canal and activate the course lock. This will then set that direction as forward, regardless of which way the quad is facing.
Turn the quad and set your shot up, then the only control you need to use is forwards.

Used this method to film numerous 100m races at a local school sports day to great effect. The kids loved it when I had four races running at the same time synced up to start together so they could see who they beat from different classes.

Sorry, due to all my troubles with site connectivity I thought I was the first response :) yes, I think course lock is the way to go here.

I need to film a 560' long Seawall. The canal is tight and I need to not fly manually do to how tight the area is where I walk and I don't want to be in the film. I have Litchi and DJI app. Is there a way to use an intelligent flight mode without using several POI's and waypoints to do this?
Using Waypoints will allow you to prefly your route manually to make sure the two points are indeed straight and lined up in a tight area. Otherwise, with Course Lock alone, you are depending upon the straightness of the camera, and your ability to discern that on the FPV alone. Flying under narrow bridges and in between tight spaces is challenging to do at high speed. It's often best to fly it slowly, and then speed it up in post. Same with flying forwards through a hole. Better to start from the other side of the hole and fly backwards, and then reverse the direction in post. Be safe!

Reactions: Design-engine
Thanks everyone. I made a flight plan with 6 waypoints and 6 POI's and also plan to fly it in course lock. The canal is very straight so I think it will work out. I'm going to fly at 20' and again at 40' to see what looks best and fly slow and speed up in post.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Glad you got it done, but you only need two points for this and no POI's.
See picture.
ba315ef33409431f86cc43e7537022c9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Glad you got it done, but you only need two points for this and no POI's.
See picture.
ba315ef33409431f86cc43e7537022c9.jpg

Agreed about 2 points, as displayed in Litchi, but I believe the POI's were for more aerial coverage of the area, after getting the main cable cam shot.

Just set both waypoints to a right or left angle of 90 degrees from your line. Does not equal and exact number you can use. Does that answer your question?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic