HOW TO: Fix unstable Phantom 3 remote controller tablet mount

Hey, yeah, thanks. Now I decided to go back to an iPad Air 2 with cellular.
I really like the convenience of the iPad Mini 2, but the Air 2 larger screen, faster processor, antiglare coating, finger print proof, and thumb reader.
I bet that thumb print, from them readers gets stored in many special places. On and off line. ;-) (I recognition so)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I just received mine but the mounting screw from the P3P controller is too small for the Inspire holder. Was there supposed to be a screw in the box with the new inspire holder? The threads on the P3P holder is much smaller than the inspire version.

Reactions: iquadtography
Yes, the Inspire mount should come with a screw, mine came in a silvery plastic bag. The screws are totally different.
Screw.jpg

Inspire on the left, Phantom on the right.

I posted in this thread before I ever had intention of ordering a P3 as thought it was a cool upgrade.

Just took delivery on a P3P yesterday and realized its a mandatory upgrade !

Thanks again

Reactions: dirkclod
So back to OT, I have a binocular tripod mount that had a case of the wobblys. I fixed it by filling in all the gaps and voids in the plastic bit with JB Weld. Looking at this mount it also has gaps and voids which I will fill with JB Weld tonight after my last flight.

CJkTonq.jpg

A little off topic but can anyone remember how the mount was sitting in the box originally?

I tried to fit it into the box on the right that came with it but found no way that fits

The OEM Phantom 3 tablet mount is made of plastic and is not able to support the weight of most tablets. It does securely hold them in place, but the tablet wobbles around on the remote controller at the point where the mount connects to the remote controller.

The simple fix is to install the Inspire 1 tablet mount. The holder is identical to the Phantom 3's holder. The difference is that the mount is made of metal -- so, it does not give like plastic does.

Awesome post @msinger . Best 30 dollars I've spent in awhile. No more wobbles on my P3P Tx. When I was installing it, I tried using the old screw with the mount and it didn't fit. Didn't realize that in the package was sitting a different sized screw that would fit.

Thanks again.

Hey guys, be careful with the plastic mount. My screw got stripped in it and I had to very carefully dremel it out. It took me over an hour. Beware!

All I'm getting at is that people ought to try these two other suggestions before they are led to think the plastic mount is the problem...just get more torque on that front post....I'm glad your solution worked for you and I'm glad i didn't have to spend $50 then wait for delivery just to have the same mount stablity as you...that would have been a bad look for dji in my eyes if it inherently couldn't work.
Not too tight though. Its possible to strip the threads with a pliers. Use care when torqing.

Reactions: louforgiveno
Since the first day where I switched over to the Inspire 1 device holder, nothing has slipped, and none of the screws have loosened.
That's quite remarkable considering the jostling and bouncing around I give it, when transporting my flying gear, on my SpYder RS-S.
It's a great addition to my Tx radio controller and flight kit in general.

RedHotPoker

Since the first day where I switched over to the Inspire 1 device holder, nothing has slipped, and none of the screws have loosened.
That's quite remarkable considering the jostling and bouncing around I give it, when transporting my flying gear, on my SpYder RS-S.
It's a great addition to my Tx radio controller and flight kit in general.

RedHotPoker
Wish dji charged 1500 for the P3 and put upgrades into all aspects such as this. I know they did it for a $reason, but just wish they put more investment in customer loyalty and less in making a buck off a bunch of people trying to make this thing work correctly. First REAL challenge to DJI with proven advantages, and yes it will come, I won't think twice to leaving DJI. the best now, but their business model has played out for centuries and it won't last.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey guys, be careful with the plastic mount. My screw got stripped in it and I had to very carefully dremel it out. It took me over an hour. Beware!

Mine came stripped. I just carefully ripped it off. No dremel necessary :p

Awesome post @msinger . Best 30 dollars I've spent in awhile. No more wobbles on my P3P Tx. When I was installing it, I tried using the old screw with the mount and it didn't fit. Didn't realize that in the package was sitting a different sized screw that would fit.

Thanks again.
Edit
Found link in first post, thanks again to both of you

I just received mine but the mounting screw from the P3P controller is too small for the Inspire holder. Was there supposed to be a screw in the box with the new inspire holder? The threads on the P3P holder is much smaller than the inspire version.
Ha, I posted this a few months back but forgot to update it. I found the small silver bag under the car in the garage next to my recycle bin in the garage. I must have dropped it when I tossed the box into the bin. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl