How to fix clouds from blowing out in videos and pics?

Reaction score
Having problems with the clouds in my videos blowing out all white with no contrast etc.
When I get them with the proper contrast and looking good the green valley is way to dark.
Filming on a cloudy day with some sun at times. Tried a ND 4, ND 8 and CP filters with no help.
How can I solve this dilema?
I am using a Phantom 4, not the plus.
Any help would be appreciated.

Having problems with the clouds in my videos blowing out all white with no contrast etc.
When I get them with the proper contrast and looking good the green valley is way to dark.
Filming on a cloudy day with some sun at times. Tried a ND 4, ND 8 and CP filters with no help.
How can I solve this dilema?
I am using a Phantom 4, not the plus.
Any help would be appreciated.
Reduce exposure to point that detail is retained in clouds and use your scopes in post to bring the black point and mids up of find a grad ND filter.

I'll look to see if there are any graduated ND filters for the Phantom 4.
Going to play with my settings in Elements 14 to see what I improve.
Thanks for the replies.

Simple video showing changes made to camera and it's effects:

Does the 4 still allow you to film in DLOG? that mode provides much higher dynamic range and allows highlights to be properly exposed while still keeping the details in the shadows. only issue is that the raw videos will look washed out an will require additional processing.

Yes there is DLOG in the P4, going to try it this afternoon.
Yesterday it was much brighter and I tried shooting in vivid, it actually looked good. I will have to desaturate the colors a little but after that much better contrast. A big part of the trouble I discovered is that it was much darker on the ground than I realized and much brighter where the clouds were on the horizon. Still a problem overall but solving it slowly with the help of this group.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj