How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gimbal

Re: How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gim

Trazor

Have tou tried the upper part gimbal alligment ?

Turn your phantom upsite down. now see the mainframe of the gimbal.

You can see the bearring on the middle ?

Now, with the back of the bettery facing you, the half moon need to be pointed to your right...

For me, after doing this and the other half moon alligment on the back of the camera, my gimbal stops to going crazy...

Now, my camera is only a little diagonal angle, like 45º, but i believe this is because the PIN is FREE TO MOVE, i need to GLUE it with a Threadlocker glue

Thanks

Hi, With the half moon pointing would mean the round side or flat side, sorry, ive got it with the Flat side to the right.
Is this right? (before I rebuild)
Cheers for the info

Phanto upside down, Facing the back of the battery.

The flat side of the half moon need to be pointed to right side.

Here in my case, i placed THREADLOCKER and i'm waiting the time for cure. On box it say 24 hours.

Before i use threadlocker my camera don't still FLAT with the horizon, it allways go to a diagonal left or right, this is because my MIDDLE PIN is free to move.

I hope this threadlocker solve my problem, or i will need to search for other solution.

Thanks

Sorry for my bad english, my principal language is PORTUGUESE Brasil

Re: Sv: How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera

Jesolins said:
Hi T,
Are you positive it is not an internal break in the the cable? That can be difficult to determine without doing a pin-out continuity continuity check, which is tedious but worthwhile to do. Did you reflow the pcbs?
Cheers,
Jim
Trazor said:
I followed your instructions, tore down the whole gimbal assebly, carefully checking for any damage on any of the components, and boy I'll tell you... Absolutely no difference. Still acts like it has an epileptic seizure.

Some sort of diagnostic software would be awesome, so you'd at least know where to look.

Jesolins said:
Hi T,
Normally the gimbal problems reside in one or more of these areas:

1. Check all the motor shafts for correct alignment and for loose or wallowed out magnet hub shaft hole. Fix per previous instructions.
2. Check the flex ribbon cable is not stretched, bent or torn which indicates replacement or micro repair surgery for the cable.
3. Check individually for continuity of all the grey gimbal wires and connections to the hub. Replace and repair as necessary.
3. Check all flex ribbon cable connections for proper insertion alignment. Re-insert as necessary. (requires teardown of gimbal)
5. Check for bent arms. Fix or replace as necessary.
6. Check for loose components on all three of the pcbs. Requires magnification and solder station for re-flow fix.

Cheers,
Jim
It might be a break, its the only thing that makes sense at the moment. So let me know when those $10 ribbon cables are available!

What is involved in reflowing the PCBs?

bond101 said:
Trazor

Have tou tried the upper part gimbal alligment ?

Thanks for your reply, and sadly it is how it is supposed to be. So no fix there either. Good thing it worked for you though!

T,
To reflow pcb devices you need a no-residue flux and a decent soldering station. There are youtube videos that will show you how to do this. Roger on the cable;)
Cheers,
Jim
Trazor said:
It might be a break, its the only thing that makes sense at the moment. So let me know when those $10 ribbon cables are available!

What is involved in reflowing the PCBs?

After fixing my gymbal freaking issue, yesterday my phantom tried to autofly by waypoints and a wind made he crash on the ground ( HE IS NOT FLYING WHEN IT CRASH ).

:(

With the crash, the camera left the gimbal and the FLAT CABLE IS NOW BROKEN :(

TO all usesr that have the P2V+ i recommend to do something to maintain camera fixed with the gimbal, because if a crash occour, the cable is not forced to broken

I have ordered a new cable from ATKDRONES http://atkdrones.com/ it will arrive on next week, i hope

Hi,
I am having the same issue and your post seems very helpful as there is no where else i found a solution of this gimbal issue. I was wondering how did you open the motor apart to reach the axle, it seems very strong and there is nothing like screw or any clamp. Please, i would appreciate any suggestion, Thank You.

yotamkasam said:
It appears that after a crash or even a modest hit the camera may get life of its own. As shown in the link bellow, the gimbal starts to vibrate and shake with no apparent reason and the remote has no control over it. Sometimes it will get fixed by itself and you can fly, but you should expect it to go wild again and need to fix the gimbal.

http://ninoransenberg.com/2014/07/16/phantom-2-vision-camera-gimbal-has-life-of-its-own/

What may look like control / firmware issue is a simple mechanical failure of the gimbal's X axle which upon good side impact will get loose from its base. As shown in image A below, the axle marked green should be firmly snagged in the yellow marked bore.

Once the axle is released from its base, the only thing that holds the motor in place is the round magnet of the brushless motor. It will hold it with enough strength and you may have no clue that it is broken. It also may work for some time after the impact but once the axle turns freely it will misalign the camera position and the trimmer-potentiometer located on the other side of the motor will not read correct physical position of the camera.

Image B shows a post impact trimmer and its misalignment with the camera on the X-axle. The trimmer is the feedback mechanism of the micro-controller which reads the trimmer resistance based on its angular position (like a volume button) and assumes the camera is aligned with it. When the reading is extreme to one of the ends, the controller tries to fix it and starts bouncing quite radically.

The proper alignment of the trimmer is shown in the image C, note the blue lines, the trimmer flat notch should be parallel with the flat edge of the PCB. Don’t worry about slight misalignment, the gimbal can work with that.

To fix the problem I remounted the axle using extreme strength treads locker (Loctite or similar) and clamped the motor in place overnight to allow the bond to fully cure.
Not knowing in advance what I am dealing with, I took the camera off the quad but you don’t have to, you can do the work leaving the gimbal attached to the body. If you do take it apart, you can use plastic wire fasteners instead of the anti-drop pins which you have to cut during disassembly.

A test flight I did today gave very good results, no evidence of the problem. However, I am not sure how long this will hold, the axle might be released again and I will have to repeat the fix. This is why I used soft Loctite and not hard metal bonding formulas that will make it difficult to remove residues in due time.

As for DJI, it seems to me they are aware of the problem but will not tell you how to fix it, they will however ask you t ship it back.

Hi,
I am having the same issue and your post seems very helpful as there is no where else i found a solution of this gimbal issue. I was wondering how did you open the motor apart to reach the axle, it seems very strong and there is nothing like screw or any clamp. Please, i would appreciate any suggestion, Thank You.

ok mines dead totally.....

I'm currently using my Vision + with just the base plate / board attached as the gimbal and ribbon were destroyed via usual small incident.

I get all the telemetry data and can use way points, all im missing is the camera picture. This is obvious as there is no camera and this works in phantom/vision and naza mode.
So what im trying to figure out is if its possible to connect a (self contained) wifi camera to this existing setup to allow me to get FPV?
Obviously using the power cables / output from this board still attatched.

Probably just end up getting this sooner or later : http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre-ord...ntom-2-vision/

Then get a cheaper camera than the vision + , self exploding unit..

See pic

Attachments

• IMG_20141003_020357.jpg
    IMG_20141003_020357.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 717

Sorry, this works in both vision mode and naza mode not just phantom as stated above....

Any help with the pin layouts , identifying the wires would be appreciated.

If I can get this to work will post here...

I'd like to add a couple of notes and then ask about my own P2V+ gimbal issue.

- If you have a gimbal separation after a crash, be sure to carefully inspect the exposed roll motor components. In my case, one of the tiny surface mount transistors was slightly dislodged, so I had to very carefully resolder it back in place. Also, in pictures of gimbals I've seen on Ebay, one had broken winding wires.

- There's a guy on Ebay who fixes the weak roll motor shaft issue by using red Loctite to attach a brass sleeve around the shaft, then drilling out the corresponding hole in the arm to accept the sleeve, and using red Loctite to attach that. This would seem to help, since the brass will be stronger than the aluminum material of the arm, and using the sleeve provides a larger area to mate with the aluminum.

Now, my own problem:

After a crash resulting in gimbal separation, I've replaced the flex cable with a new one from ATK Drones. The camera works, but the gimbal still jerks around. It seems like the pitch motor isn't working correctly. To diagnose this, I've unplugged both the ribbons for the roll and the pitch motors, and with the drone powered up, the yaw motor seems to work fine. Then I plugged in the roll motor, and upon powering up, see that both the yaw and roll work fine: the camera will remain level, and will always point forward. But plugging in the pitch motor just results in the gimbal thrashing around again. Occasionally, it will settle down, with the gimbal kind of working, but the camera will be pointed all the way back, usually.

Another thing I notice is that the gimbal motors get very hot. Is this normal?

Anyway, one thing I want to verify is which direction the flat of the camera roll shaft should be pointing when the camera is facing foward. (Alternately: does the securing screw enter into the round part of the shaft, or the flat first?)

(Also, I don't see how a loose camera-shaft securing screw would cause any problem, since the screw goes into the shaft. It's not like a set-screw; the shaft can't rotate without the camera unless the screw is entirely out.)

What else should should I look for to diagnose this issue? I've confirmed that my grey ribbon cables are all good. Should I check the ribbon cable in case I damaged it while installing it? It would help to have a pin-out of it.

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. I am that ebay guy. The screw needs to go into the round section of the shaft otherwise it will do the crazy chicken dance.

The motors will get warm when chicken dancing, dont run it like that.

Jeremy James

any idea how to fix the bottom motor? the one that spins the camera on a horizontal axis that makes it point up or down 0-90 degrees? Thanks

eyecon82 said:
any idea how to fix the bottom motor? the one that spins the camera on a horizontal axis that makes it point up or down 0-90 degrees? Thanks

That's the pitch motor. I have exactly the same question myself. I can only think of a couple of options:
- verify the ribbon/flex cable is good
- make sure the motor windings are good, transistors are all in place, making contact to the motor flex cable.
- last option: swap the motor controller board with a known-good one.

I notice that the motor controller boards have "R" (for the roll motor controller) and "P" (for the pitch motor controller) written on one of the connectors. This seems to imply that they are not interchangeable. Is that right?

Also, a couple of suggestions for working on these boards:
- to release the latch on the flex connector on these boards, I use a paper-clip with the end bent into a small J-hook shape (use a needle-nose pliers to bend it). I can stick this behind the connector, snag the latch with the hook, rotate the hook slightly to release it. I shine a flashlight in to verify that it's open.
- to close the latch, I use a small screwdriver that just fits in the space between the housing and the connector. I just need to push it back until it's past the latch, and that's that. I shine a flashlight in to verify that it's closed.

eyecon82 said:

Have you recently taken it apart or replaced the ribbon cable? Start by making sure all your grey wire plugs are fully seated.

Jeremy James

On mine, the camre do note go total upright on tilt..

I just unmount the TILT CAMERA UP DOWN MOTOR and spray WD on motor and potentiometer...

After i i use a toolbrush to remove dirts, dry it with a AIR GUN and mounted it AGAIN

For me surprise, it WORKED

The problem is that any dirt on the potentiometer will give problems on camera TILT.

bond101 said:
On mine, the camre do note go total upright on tilt..

I just unmount the TILT CAMERA UP DOWN MOTOR and spray WD on motor and potentiometer...

After i i use a toolbrush to remove dirts, dry it with a AIR GUN and mounted it AGAIN

For me surprise, it WORKED

The problem is that any dirt on the potentiometer will give problems on camera TILT.

I compliment you on making your gimbal work again. However wd40 being a non/very slow drying petroleum based lubricant will cause dirt and abrasives to build up and cause a future failure. It also polymerizes with time and will skim over like a plastic causing conductivity issues. The potentiometer has a thin film of conductive material that can be abraded very easily. This will make it bad again. Any dry film electronics part cleaner is a better option. This all being said it may work fine till it flys away, the potentiometers are enclosed within the gimbal motor housings.

Man, i know about the use of WD-40

But the DAMAGED phantom that i droken i do not have certain if the last buyer do not drop it on water, so i use WD-40, and dry it entire with air gun, and papel towel.

Its works like charm, this will affect nothing on a FLY AWAY, because it has only relation with the GIMBAL/CAMERA MOVIMENT.

Its good to to wash with isopropyl alcohol too, and maybe better than WD-40

Or any kind of CONTACT CLEANER SPRAY.

WD-40 is good, but i you don't dry it careful, maybe it is a problem.

burlbark said:
It sounds like you have a good handle on things. I am that ebay guy. The screw needs to go into the round section of the shaft otherwise it will do the crazy chicken dance.

Wait, so with the D shaped shafts, the set screws go into the Round part of the D and not the flat part? That makes no sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.