How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gimbal

Re: How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gim

Well now its my turn to try and fix this problem!
After a hard landing I have to try and fix two things:
First the level that is of and the something that I don´t understand, a bit of shaking of the picture when doing a video.
I have done advanced calibration with no result.
If I follow the advice in this thread I can see that maybe the axle is a bit of line
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0cfea7z8z1cq ... 20film.mp4

It is a bad that there is not a software possibility of correcting the camera.
Sent of a question to DJI support, lets see how long it will take before I get an answer

Attachments

• DJI00098.jpg
    DJI00098.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,500

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this fix.
I've aligned the "pin" as close as I can by eye, but I find the camera still has a slight tilt when the unit sits on a flat surface.
I have not added loctite.
What did you mean by " Don’t worry about slight misalignment, the gimbal can work with that." As far as I can tell it doesn't. Is there something else I need to do?

webstereo said:
Thanks very much for taking the time to post this fix.
I've aligned the "pin" as close as I can by eye, but I find the camera still has a slight tilt when the unit sits on a flat surface.
I have not added loctite.
What did you mean by " Don’t worry about slight misalignment, the gimbal can work with that." As far as I can tell it doesn't. Is there something else I need to do?

What I meant was that the controller will work perfectly even if the camera is not 100% aligned but it will show on video.
As for locking it in place, you have to do something about it otherwise the problem will repeat maybe even in mid air. Loctite is far from being a good solution, maybe you should try something harder.

webstereo - I think it is safe to say that DJI has a quality control issue with the camera being "level" to the horizon. When my first camera gimbal failed after a crash, I bought a new camera/gimbal assembly and right out of the box it is not level with the horizon. I still think they should have put a threaded pin with a lock nut on the camera attachment so that you could manually level the camera if it gets out of alignment. (DJI - ARE YOU LISTENING?!)

A thread and nut would not necessarily fix the problem, a splined or keyed shaft with a cir-clip at the end of the shaft would have been a better way to go but as the housing
is soft alloy any major bump/hit could cause problems with the soft alloy breaking/cracking etc. In saying that I have seen pics of broken shafts.

damned if they do, damned if they don't.

z10m said:
In my case tightening this
P2_V.jpg
screw fixed the gimbal completely.

Also overtightening it doesnt help and the camera needs to be positioned well as if it is twisted one way or another even tiny bit or pushed in too much it wont work.
Hope this will help.

My camera has the ribbon cable wrapped around the housing where the setscrew is located preventing access to the screw. I'm wondering if this is a design variation or perhaps you've removed the ribbon in this photo?

I see the ribbon connector. It appears he removed the ribbon to get access to this screw.

dezunka said:
npalen - my ribbon cable wasn't wrapped around the shaft. It was folded back on itself and tucked into the cover. I just moved it enough to get to the screw. Be careful pulling out the ribbon cable from the motor. It actually has a very small lever that holds it in place. You really need to unscrew the motor and pull the circuit board away from the housing to properly remove the ribbon cable. You need to lift the lever to release the cable and you need to press the lever back down once you reinsert the ribbon cable. (The lever is shown with the red arrow in my photo).

Do all of these black ribbon cable connections (3?) use the small lever to secure? I am thinking that my problem may be due to them coming out a bit. The other one I can see looks like it might be a little loose too. I can see some of the gold connector on top most visible connection (when the phantom is upright). I tried just a bit to push is back in but all I am doing is bending/creasing it. Don't want to do that of course but can't figure out the best way to get at it or push it in. Any help?

npalen said:
My camera has the ribbon cable wrapped around the housing where the setscrew is located preventing access to the screw. I'm wondering if this is a design variation or perhaps you've removed the ribbon in this photo?

I copied this picture from ebay just to show you where the screw is.
Yes the ribbon cable is covering the screw so what i did was move it away slightly just to expose the screw.
No need to remove the ribbon cable.
Here's my picture.
Thats how I've done it.
IMAG0729.jpg

Thanks very much for posting that. I was afraid to put any pressure against the ribbon for fear of breakage. Looks like no problem to push it aside.

Adding some JB Weld on the tip edge of the shaft inside the horizontal gimbal motor has been working for me. Everything has been level since... Happy that I was able to do this prior to my vacation. Thanks everyone!

I would not have thought that anything applied just to the end of the shaft would hold but evidently it does. Glad to hear you got it fixed and this would be a simple solution for anyone having the problem.

After a few crash landing and one upside down from a VRS, to make a long story short I had to order and replaced the camera/gimbal. In reading all your posts, the one thing that comes out, crystal clear, it is the 2nd brushless motor that fails. The P2V+ is hardy bird, this is its weak point. Since I had the old gimbal off I took a look at that 2nd (brushless motor) AND yes the connecting shaft from the motor was was loose, with it almost coming apart from the mating part.
It's a piss poor design... Why reduce the shaft diameter coming out of the motor/bearing to less than a third. That small reduced shaft has to support the weight of the camera, and the tilt brushless bearing and motor. Any crash or hard landing puts the full inertia weight on this small connecting point. Something had to give!! I noticed on mine, the press fit hole was wallowed out., and of course the connecting shaft was not turning (I was getting the crazy camera dance)
I'm sure DJI HAS to be aware of this design defect considering all the returns and repairs they are getting.
I'm just a little PO'ed having to shell out $679.00 for a new camera/gimbal.
Crash's and accidents do happen, DJI knows this, that's why the Phantom can take a licking and for the most part keep on flying.
This needs to addressed.

CC DJI

Good info, reginarh. Makes we wonder if the looseness between the tiny shaft and the housing causes some of the "jitters" we keep reading about.

In addition to my last reply stating this seems to have solved my problem after a few test flights, I'm also no longer seeing my camera go 'nuts' trying to figure out how to calibrate horizontally. Everything is working picture perfect, no pun intended.

Hi all, Thank you for posting this tutorial! I did center the half moon shaft and tightened the screw under the black ribbon cable and still no luck. Was the thread locking method essential? I didn't want to use force in pulling the motor housing to expose the shaft (closest to the camera) because it wasn't loose. Im stumped now and am out of options. SOS :?:

mountaindr3wz said:
Hi all, Thank you for posting this tutorial! I did center the half moon shaft and tightened the screw under the black ribbon cable and still no luck. Was the thread locking method essential? I didn't want to use force in pulling the motor housing to expose the shaft (closest to the camera) because it wasn't loose. Im stumped now and am out of options. SOS :?:

The thread locking (or other method) is necessary to hold the shaft in place and prevent it from rotating on the base.

it would be great if you do a video.

A video would have been valuable. I can't do it now as I have already applied JB Weld to the shaft and I dare not try to pull away the housing. If I run into the problem again and have to repeat the procedure, I'll video it.

yotamkasam said:
mountaindr3wz said:

The thread locking (or other method) is necessary to hold the shaft in place and prevent it from rotating on the base.

When pulling the motor from the housing, did you use an ample amount of force? I don't want to force it and end up breaking it even more. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl